Camera always focuses on background?

justryan

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else have this problem? It's a common issue I face. I go to take a photo, and the camera almost always focuses on the images in the distance, rather than the subject in the photo. See below. What am I doing wrong?

212wxut.jpg

jr31pl.jpg

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that too. Sometimes you just have to try and focus on another part of the face. It's weird. Not sure if it's a bug or a hardware limitation. Like in the last pic, I'd try and focus on the ear, or even the neck/shoulder line. You would still get a crisp picture of the face. It usually works for me. I've taken a bunch of pictures of my dog up close and I've had to just focus on his ear or neck or something. Weird

Wizhk

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I assume that you are using the stock camera and are click/holding the spot on the screen where you want to focus? Dont click the quick snap button.

Wizhk

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
These were both taken only a few inches away and they're both focusing heavy on the bottle instead of the background like in your last picture. I had to tap a few spots to get it to focus the way I wanted it to.

IMAG0011-1.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

justryan

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I assume that you are using the stock camera and are click/holding the spot on the screen where you want to focus? Dont click the quick snap button.

Wizhk

Do you mean hold the the spot where you want the focus to be until it takes the photo? Or tap the spot, wait for the focus, the push the shutter button? I do the latter.

justryan

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
These were both taken only a few inches away and they're both focusing heavy on the bottle instead of the background like in your last picture. I had to tap a few spots to get it to focus the way I wanted it to.

I really liked these two photos, which led me to post this thread. I was thinking I was doing something wrong.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I really liked these two photos, which led me to post this thread. I was thinking I was doing something wrong.

ooo. Ya you just have to find the right spot to focus. Again, when you tap to focus on a spot, if it doesn't get focused clearly just try another spot. I've noticed that when taking a picture up close of a persons face, focusing on the ears or neck helps it. Try it out

Wizhk

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I actually took these pics about a month ago to test the capabilities of the flash. It does also show the abilities of the camera to focus when selecting your own point on the screen and holding it to focus and snap the picture.

Picture is just of my brother and a friend drunk.

I didn't move the camera for either shot, on the left I held my thumb on the screen over my brother (in the Lakers shirt) and in the picture on the right I held my thumb on the face on the right.

I was actually quite impressed with how the phone handled these pictures.

This is using the stock EVO Camera software.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wizhk

Last edited: