bought a new battery for my evo 4G and it sucks (1750 seidio)

choke818

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I bought a new battery for my EVO and it seems to die out faster than the stock battery.
4 hours and a half of usage. wifi is off, gps is off, brightness is set at 50 percent,
no weather for news updates ... I use juice defender, and I'm very annoyed I paid over 40 dollars for this battery ....

I'm thinking of going with the bulky battery with a thicker back case.

Damn battery life!

joeturni#CB

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I got the same results...I went back to the stock battery and got better results with Juice defender...However, I refuse to blow up the aesthetics of this phone with that hump back monstrosity...My god, if we can put a man on the moon, why can't we get a reasonably THIN 3500 that fits in the stock encasement...sheesh!

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I got the same results...I went back to the stock battery and got better results with Juice defender...However, I refuse to blow up the aesthetics of this phone with that hump back monstrosity...My god, if we can put a man on the moon, why can't we get a reasonably THIN 3500 that fits in the stock encasement...sheesh!

I don't think you want the technology that started that.

Lead-Acid batteries and vacuum tubes. ;)

Buckeyes

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Joeturni, I agree that it seems odd that we can't get a thin 3500 battery. I have a 3500 battery, and it does make a huge difference as far as battery life. I find that the case actually helps protect the camera lens and is easy to grip. And remember the screen is what's important, and it doesn't affect that at all. If nothing else, I find two batteries to be the ideal backup to each other.

smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I went with the 3500 battery. Best money I have spent on the phone.

I go 16hrs and at night when I plug it in states I am at 45 to 50%.
I leave everything on. Have everything sync to the shortest setting,search the net alot during the day. Screen brightness set to auto.

I am very happy with it. Sure it isn't slim. But then again my old curve wasn't either.
I have big hands and I can actually grip the phone better.

Raptor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Joeturni, I agree that it seems odd that we can't get a thin 3500 battery. I have a 3500 battery, and it does make a huge difference as far as battery life. I find that the case actually helps protect the camera lens and is easy to grip. And remember the screen is what's important, and it doesn't affect that at all. If nothing else, I find two batteries to be the ideal backup to each other.

The battery size is determined by the chemistry and capacity so if you are already using the best practical chemistry, and you are, then the only thing you can do to increase capacity is make the battery bigger. Sorry, there's no free lunch!

Brian

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
With the 3500 and larger case, there is a trade of aesthetics vs. utility. I went with utility - I 'd rather have a functional, less aestheticaly pleasing phone than an aesthetically pleasing piece of dead iron. I admit it took me a while to get used to the different look but now it hardly even registers. And as was mentioned earlier, a second or third stock spare also works - I just didn't want to carry a spare around with me during the day and hassle with charging and changing out multiple batteries.

Dave

capnhowdy18

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Battery technology, is unfortunately way behind the rest of technology. It is one of the biggest hurdles in mobile design, as well as hybrid/electric cars. There has been strides, but not nearly fast enough. You could make a lot of money, if you invented the next battery.

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
There have been studies done that show alot of these extended batteries that claim more space are really the same, or sometimes worse than the stock batteries.

Bigfame

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I have the 3500 chinese knock off ($10 ebay) and it works GREAT. The bigger back does not effect me at all and I actually forget it's on there. Feels great in the hand as well. I don't have to carry two batteries anymore and can go all day without charging (6 a.m. to 9 p.m.) and still have about 50% battery:) I also have everything turned on, use internet and video my daughters softball games (just when she's at bat). I actually video taped her homerun and put it on Youtube (Trin Homerun) if you want to see what the Evo can do at night while recording.

bzxzlg

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I bought that 1750 battery the first week or two in June ... I will admit that the early weeks of usage were beyond painful. But as I got into AUG, everything seemed to be fine ... I'm sure that some of the OS tweaks that have been bought in upgrades have helped ... Not gonna call myself a power user, but my phone is used for work and I am able to get through 90% of my days.

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
-just want to clarify-

per instructions/online forums/personal experience--

charge your Extended battery to full (green light) status, and then let it charge for another 3-4 hours. perform this for several days. the phone only believes the battery is a stock battery and will green light erroneously.

i had the same problem as you, nearly, with my 3500mAh battery.
i let it charge fully, and thensome, for a few nights (10 hours total each night) and within a week later i was getting awesome results.

i run for 2 days on a single charge, sometimes 3 if i turn on airplane mode in a few places that i don't get any reception (ie warehouses).

...but there are reports out there of extended batteries that are of poor quality--so you might have gotten swindled.

Raptor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Battery technology, is unfortunately way behind the rest of technology. It is one of the biggest hurdles in mobile design, as well as hybrid/electric cars. There has been strides, but not nearly fast enough. You could make a lot of money, if you invented the next battery.

I think the government should offer a huge prize to the top companies or Universities to come up with significant battery/capacitor improvements. For mobile devices the biggest benefit would be an increase in energy density but for automotive application the biggest benefit would come from improvements in power handling.

For a next generation hybrid car an energy capacity of even 6KWhrs would be acceptable, though 20KWhr or more would be desirable, so long as the battery pack could handle power transients of 500KW or more. You may not need 500KW for forward acceleration but if you want to handle high braking forces that's where the power handling is most critical. Of course, if the battery can handle 500KW of regenerative braking forces then it should also be able to handle 500KW of forward acceleration and that would be equal to about 667HP -- that would be pretty sweet wouldn't it!

Beyond the energy and power density improvements I've just mentioned it would also be desirable to improve useful lifespans of batteries and also reduce the cost.

Now, getting back to the government funding of prizes I'd make that contingent on the batteries being manufactured in the USA -- I don't think out-of-work tax payers would be happy if there tax dollars wound up benefiting the bottom line of some other country...

Brian

olemil#AC

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
I too wasn't real crazy about changing the look and feel of my EVO with a 3500 Seidio battery, but after making the switch, I would never go back to a standard battery! I also like the fact the extra thickness of the back keeps the camera lens from sitting on what ever surface you put the phone down on. My best time off charger was 80hrs, yes that's 80hrs, not 8 and still had 10% left. I can average 2 days with no sweat under heavy use and still have 40% left. If you don't like the extra bulk, guess you are out of luck. If you want your phone to run days with out charging, go with the Seidio 3500, $53 plus shipping on Amazon.

EvoOWNSu

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I bought the 17500 sedio battery to, and I,gotta say I really dont a notice the difference. I just purchased the 3500 10$ battery off of eBay and am excited for it. Going two days without charging just sounds like a dream. :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You people buying the 1750 batteries should look at the battery boss website and it will tell you the REAL capacity, as they are always exaggerated a bit. The 1750 battery may only have an actual capacity of 1500 for example, and this is really not much difference from the stock battery.

IMO, the only extended battery worth consideration is the Seidio 3500. Huge difference there, I have been using it for the past month or so and I also will never switch back to the stock battery, I love it.

If you are one that hates the look of the 3500, just buy up a few of those cheap chinese batteries on ebay and carry them in your pocket all the time and call it good.

Buckeyes

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Agree. Everyone complaining about the asthetics needs to remember it's about the screen, not the back of the phone. Howgood will the phone look when it craps the bed in mid use? Get over it.

rac97crawford

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Those seido 1750 batteries are a bad joke. They cost twice as much as the stock HTC 1500's. 40$ vs. $20 for barley any/ if any improvement on phone run time.
I did get the 3500 just to have when I know I'm going to have a busy phone day but I mostly just keep a multi-function charger at home and a couple of the HTC 1500's in my pocket.
I don't compromise anything on this phone to save battery life. GPS and wifi always on, Interactive fish tank background, screen brightness always up, polling for emails every 10 min, and I'm sure I've got alot more going on that eats battery. But I like all that stuff. This phone is a beast! So I just keep it fed. :)

acuevas6

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
is there a holster or case that has a belt clip that fits the 3500? I have the "Seidio Innocase Holster for Sprint HTC Evo 4G" and love it. will this work with the bigger battery

Last edited: