Photos - epic or evo better?

Jamboaz

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
At the Sprint store yesterday, I held up the evo and epic to compare cameras. I understand the epic's screen will look better, but just looking at the amount of grain produced in the camera app, the epic's photos looked much better. I'd like to do a side by side comparison, but the only thread on this topic has some pictures that really don't make for a fair comparison.

So does anyone have any experience comparing the stock camera app in the evo and epic? Curious which takes the better picture and better video.

Thanks

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
At the Sprint store yesterday, I held up the evo and epic to compare cameras. I understand the epic's screen will look better, but just looking at the amount of grain produced in the camera app, the epic's photos looked much better. I'd like to do a side by side comparison, but the only thread on this topic has some pictures that really don't make for a fair comparison.

So does anyone have any experience comparing the stock camera app in the evo and epic? Curious which takes the better picture and better video.

Thanks

This topic has been discussed quite a few times. The camera on the Epic is better, mainly in low light conditions. It doesn't mean the Evo's camera is bad though. it's actually really good. It should NOT be a deal breaker at all. And for the record, a big part of why the pictures and videos look better on the Epic, isn't because the camera itself is much better, it's htc's ****ty camera and camcorder app. Basically, it's more of a software issue than a hardware issue.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Epic outshines the Evo even with less pixels hands down in my opionion.

I have Epic, Hubby has Evo, no comparison on my pics and even reviewing on
phone.

Epic also has scene settings which enhanced sunset pic trial. Several to pick from. Not sure of Evo, he doesn't care, so look thru menu.

mvpilot172

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The stock Evo camera app seems to compress the 8mp pictures too much. Taking 8mp pictures with the vignette app on my Evo shows very different results. It's a software thing, Samsung is good at visuals.

saywut

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I would also, point it to a Firmware issue too. I took side by side pictures with my EVO and my wife's Epic. I used Vignette and her stock camera app.

Both pictures would come out just about the same quailty wise. But the COLORS on the Epic were more vibrant and Real. My picture came out very Dull in color compared to hers.

Samsung has alwasy done a good job on clarity but the EVO's pics can come out EXACT same way but you may need a photo editor to adjust lighting and color after fact.

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The Epic's camera for stills + video is better than the EVO. I've outlined the most noticeable improvements.

For stills:
-Color rendition & balance
-Dynamic Range
-Better in low light

For video:
-Stereo sound vs mono on EVO
-Higher frame rate / smoother motion
-Better in low light

You have to keep in mind that HTC is not in the camera business. Samsung is. I would naturally expect better expertise from the latter in the area of digital imaging. If the EVO had a similarly performing camera, my current phone would probably be an EVO.

A few stills I took recently with Epic+Vignette. http://forum.androidcentral.com/sprint-epic-4g/32332-epic-photography-13.html#post372467
http://forum.androidcentral.com/sprint-epic-4g/32332-epic-photography-9.html#post344717
http://forum.androidcentral.com/sprint-epic-4g/32332-epic-photography-9.html#post343459

Last edited:

pwnst_r

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Because it's true. Most think so as well. Sorry you don't agree. Figures I haven't posted in weeks and BAM, here you are. Coincidence? Lol.

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
If you use Vignette, they're actually quite close by my testing. Video on the Evo is inferior by a long shot, though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar