EVO GPS Praise

PREvision

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,
My EVO and the GPS got some serious testing last weekend. My Friends is doing some research in a creek at the very bottom of the Grand Canyon for the National Park. He had to go fix some satellite antenna at the bottom...
They couldn't drop him by air, so they asked him to hike down from the North Rim. I went with him for the ride because they would not let him go alone. I won't go in the details of the hike. The place is beautiful, but the hike is hell. Temperature goes from 50 to 100 at the bottom. The trail (Bass trail) is 13 miles long. It took us 10 hours to go down. I took the EVO for the GPS tracking. I loaded the USGS map of the area into Oruxmaps (awesome free gps app), I put the EVO in airplane mode to save battery and by 10 hours, the battery was at around 50%. Of course, I don't look at the screen every 10 minutes :)

We also did the hike up in one day, it was so hard because of the heat that we decided to do the rough part (the last 40% of the trail) by night. The trail isn't really a trail in some place, you just follow a dry creek, lots of boulders, vegetation, etc... We tried to follow the path I had recorded when going down. At some point, we turn in the wrong creek. It was way dark, so checking the paper map was not helpful. I look at the GPS and saw how much we were off, went back on our feet and found the right trail. Even in power save mode, the recording was pretty accurate. Without it, we would have had to wait day light to figure the topography around us.

i am attaching a couple picture. The view from the top as we started hiking and the last little point of water we found going up in the dark :)

All I can say is how great this phone is, and I am so impressed by what it can do. Praise to Oruxmaps as well!

PS: It was also cool to be able to stream Pandora on the road to the North Rim :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge