Something won't stop syncing! HALP!

sveilien

Jun 18, 2010
www.punnyshirts.com
I have "Auto-sync" disabled but "background data" on. A few days ago, my EVO tried to sync something (the turning arrow circle comes on) and it never finishes. I have let it go for 9 hrs without "canceling sync". I have no idea what is trying to sync and obviously failing. It keeps coming on randomly.

Anyone know of a way or an app that shows what Android is trying to sync when the sync icon starts turning?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Menu > settings > accounts and sync.

Open each item up and see what's actively syncing. You'll either see spinning circular arrows or arrows with an exclamation point.

Spinning circle means It's syncing now. Circles not spinning means It's set to sync, but not syncing this second. Exclamation point means sync error.

If you're rooted, a common cause for the never ending sync is deleting friendstream.apk then trying to sync a service that uses friendstream such as Facebook or flicker

sveilien

Jun 18, 2010
www.punnyshirts.com
The random, endless syncing is still occurring.

No google services are syncing, they are all turned off. Auto-sync is turned off. Facebook updates are turned off. Flicker and Friendstream apps are removed though.

I use Beautiful Widget, I'll turn that off next to test.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
The random, endless syncing is still occurring.

No google services are syncing, they are all turned off. Auto-sync is turned off. Facebook updates are turned off. Flicker and Friendstream apps are removed though.

I use Beautiful Widget, I'll turn that off next to test.

The only things that will cause your sync circle to show in status bar will be things in the accounts and sync screen. If BW doesn't show in there then that cant be the cause.

Also please clarify on this sentence
Flicker and Friendstream apps are removed though.

Removed as in you just deleted your account? Removed as in you deleted the apk's from system/app?

Also please clarify:
Facebook updates are turned off
is this just facebook or is this facebook for HTC sense. Go to your sync screen and check.

sveilien

Jun 18, 2010
www.punnyshirts.com
Under "Accounts & Sync" I have 4 items:

Corporate
Facebook
Facebook for HTC Sense
Google

Auto-sync is turned off. The little sync icons next the above items are greyed out. Shouldn't that mean that the above 4 should never sync without manually doing so?

Also, I removed the Flickr and FS apks (uninstalled)

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
(stock 2.2)

i've noticed that my "sync" icon will appear for several minutes and then, given my data connection is strong enough, i'll be notified of "updates available" (for apps).
have you tried turning on wifi, connecting to a strong wifi signal, and seeing if it stops after X minutes?

it could just be some apps that the market is attempting to notify you of their updates being available...

that might explain why you're not seeing any turning circles in your accounts/sync area--it won't show up in that.

just a thought, not definitive.

sveilien

Jun 18, 2010
www.punnyshirts.com
(stock 2.2)

i've noticed that my "sync" icon will appear for several minutes and then, given my data connection is strong enough, i'll be notified of "updates available" (for apps).
have you tried turning on wifi, connecting to a strong wifi signal, and seeing if it stops after X minutes?

it could just be some apps that the market is attempting to notify you of their updates being available...

that might explain why you're not seeing any turning circles in your accounts/sync area--it won't show up in that.

just a thought, not definitive.

Yeah, when the icon comes on it, it never stops. Longest i have let it run was 10 hours, over night on WiFi.

I still get my normal app update notifications and emails and things of that nature without any hic-ups.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Also, I removed the Flickr and FS apks (uninstalled)

I have provided an excerpt below from my very first post to you.

If you're rooted, a common cause for the never ending sync is deleting friendstream.apk then trying to sync a service that uses friendstream such as Facebook or flicker

So you deleted friendstream.apk, and are trying to sync facebook for htc sense which uses friendstream to communicate. Since it cant find friendstream, it spends forever looking for it, hence the never ending sync.

Cheers!

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site

So you deleted friendstream.apk, and are trying to sync facebook for htc sense which uses friendstream to communicate. Since it cant find friendstream, it spends forever looking for it, hence the never ending sync.

Cheers!

you just sherlock holmes'd this entire mystery. good show!

sveilien

Jun 18, 2010
www.punnyshirts.com

Cheers!

Initially I didn't think Facebook for HTC was the issue because sync for it was turned off while the phone was mystero-syncing. Thanks.

johnmatthew5184

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Menu > settings > accounts and sync.

Open each item up and see what's actively syncing. You'll either see spinning circular arrows or arrows with an exclamation point.

Spinning circle means It's syncing now. Circles not spinning means It's set to sync, but not syncing this second. Exclamation point means sync error.

Yay!! No more annoying syncing. :)
Yeah it was friendsteam I had uninstalled it. Good thing I had it backed up with Titanium :)

Thx for the help.

johnmatthew5184

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok celebrated abit to early there :/ When I try and add FaceBook to sync theirs two options FaceBook or FaceBook for HTC Sense yet it will only let me click on the Sense one :/

When I use Sense it syncs fine but then I get that annoying syncing Icon in my bar and when I go to my sync setting it give the option to cancel sync, but when I check if anything is syncing nothing is :/

Last edited: