Favorite SMS/MMS app??

bocaccio13

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
What is your favorite app and how do you disable the default. I am trying out trial handscent and hate getting two alerts from that and the default.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
You just have to go into your settings, there's a way to disable getting notifications from both.

Handcent I liked a lot (used it on my Droids), but I like the default Fascinate texting enough to not download anything else.

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have used Chomp for months, but have recently found that I am not receiving all of the texts that have been sent to me (specifically ones sent to me by my wife, both texts and picture messages). I only know that I missed her texts because she showed me where she sent them from her phone (also using Chomp).

We've both switched over to Handcent just this last week and no missed messages so far.

I have no idea what caused the missing texts, but we'll see what happens after I use Handcent for a while. I liked Chomp better than Handcent until recently....

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I have used Chomp for months, but have recently found that I am not receiving all of the texts that have been sent to me (specifically ones sent to me by my wife, both texts and picture messages). I only know that I missed her texts because she showed me where she sent them from her phone (also using Chomp).

We've both switched over to Handcent just this last week and no missed messages so far.

I have no idea what caused the missing texts, but we'll see what happens after I use Handcent for a while. I liked Chomp better than Handcent until recently....

Don't seem to have that issue... Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

clavodulce16

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
hancent seen to keep my phone awake when i received a txt and not check it right away. I have noticed it several times. when i check in spare parts I have a full blue bar

ZDK

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
!!chompsms!!

Peace,

CHOMPSMS FTW!!...Ive had this app since my G1 days and it has gotten better and better---in fact it was 1st---preceding Handscent (which incorporated most of its innovations).

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Don't seem to have that issue... Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

Yep, at least on my phone. Again I don't know if it was Chomp or Sprint's network or what, but I'm sticking with Handcent if I don't get missed messages. If it was Chomp, then I'll stick with Handcent out of spite.

Its a horrible feeling to think that I may have missed a whole bunch of messages over the last several weeks/months.

androidvirgin

May 17, 2010
Visit site
What is your favorite app and how do you disable the default. I am trying out trial handscent and hate getting two alerts from that and the default.

surprised no one commented on your double alert issue. both the stock Messages app and Handcent are giving you alerts. very easy to fix:

Messages | Menu | Settings: uncheck "Received notification"

you will now only see the status bar notifications that Handcent generates.

Reactions: loso00

evang07

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Only thing that bothers me about Handcent is when I save pics they get saved to a different folder than when you save it with the stock app. And i have two folders under gallery now called "download". Anyone know how to have the pics save under "All downloads" which is were pics get saved when using the stock app.
I also like Handcent for the reason of when replying quickly the sms messages arnt out of order where it appears I sent the text before the one I replied to which bothered me quite a bit due to confusion caused when reading the conversation back.
Thanks for any help about the folders.

californian#AC

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I love the look, and concept of Handcent...but so far (and I'm a 3 week android/EVO newbie) I have some problems that are getting increasingly frustrating:
When I receive new text from different sources, Handcent pops up and displays the first text I received after my last reboot. This happens every time. If Phil sends me a text after a reboot, every subsequent text I receive from Phil John Paul George or Ringo pops up and displays Phil's first sent text.
The biggest problem, is I'm yet to get my EVO to personalize alerts or ring tones for individuals. I set a different ringtone for each of my contacts...yet it always rings the *last* ringtone set.
I also have not yet got the audible alerts for a new text or email to be differentiated by contact. Any change to the alert tone I make for a specific contact, is applied to all contacts.

I've got to get this fixed quick as my 30 days is up on me...I doubt it's an android deal breaker, because EVERYTHING else this phone does is spec-freaking-tacular...but the #1 job of a phone is to communicate, and thus far its(or its owner) doing a lousy job of that. Help!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech