I'm now on my third Evo 4G in a matter of two weeks. Previously, I had problems with a blown earpiece and other random things. Everything with this phone is working fine but ever since I did a software update (actually, come to think of it, not sure if I ever turned on 4G), 4G won't turn on.

If I click on the stock 4G icon on the "desktop" the bars go up and down as it does when you turn on 4G, but after 10 seconds 4G just turns off. It never goes on. If I go through settings to turn on 4G, the same things happens. After the process of turning on 4G completes, it just turns right off.

Anyone have this same issue or know what to do? I really do not want to go back to the Sprint Store, they are sick of me.

Also, wi-fi is turned off. I know from the Epic 4G I had for a couple weeks you had to turn off wi-fi to turn on 4G.

Finally, I'm in Chicago and I have 4G. Even if I didn't, 4G should stay on without a signal.

Thanks for your help.
    10-10-2010 10:16 PM
    1) update the PRL
    2) i'd go into a Sprint store (where they have 4g broadcasting--ask ahead of time just in case) and turn on your 4g radio. if it turns on--then turns off--you know you have busted software/unit.

you know that a Sprint store will be broadcasting 4g so you have a good area in which to test your 4g capability.

just a thought.
    sorry it's not a dignosis of the problem, rather just a way to test what it Could be.
    10-10-2010 10:20 PM
    thanks. i just found some other forum with people that had similar problems. no solutions but some people said this was an issue with 2.2 and fixes were needed. this was after talking to sprint. i did just do a HTC software update, I wonder if that had something to do with the 4G radio not working.

just updated PRL and that did not work. maybe I should try a hard reset.
    10-10-2010 10:27 PM
    hard reset might fix it.

be sure to backup all your apps (ie appbrain) and contacts/gmail sync, first.

don't throw out the option of stopping by a Sprint store to test the 4g. might save you the hassle of resetting your phone.
    10-10-2010 10:33 PM
    I'm not really sure how going to Sprint will really do much good if the 4g radio won't turn on at all.
    10-11-2010 12:17 AM
    I'm not really sure how going to Sprint will really do much good if the 4g radio won't turn on at all.
    they would service it there if in fact the 4g radio is bad....
    10-11-2010 07:46 AM
    I had a similar problem. I'd press the widget and 4g would never actually turn on. The switch would flick up, but then switch off after a couple seconds. This is going to sound stupid, but what fixed it was turning airplane mode on, then back off. I don't know why that fixed it, but it did. Not sure if it will help you or not, but its worth a try.
    10-11-2010 08:23 AM
    I had a similar problem. I'd press the widget and 4g would never actually turn on. The switch would flick up, but then switch off after a couple seconds. This is going to sound stupid, but what fixed it was turning airplane mode on, then back off. I don't know why that fixed it, but it did. Not sure if it will help you or not, but its worth a try.
    I guess I should have read this before doing a hard reset. but that worked. although when i have no 4G signal, the icon at the tip of the screen disappears but it's still on. I have confirmed that 4G works. Come to think of it, I read something a while ago about turning airplane mode on and off fixed a 4G problem. Oh well, back to customizing everything again.

Thanks.
    10-11-2010 08:59 AM
    yeah, i know i have to return to the store since the phone is in the first 30 days but they really are tired of me coming in for a replacement. this is my third phone and they have given me so much crap the first two times. the last thing I wanted to do was stroll in there again, but I guess i'd have to if i didn't get it working.
    10-11-2010 09:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD