10-13-2010 12:11 PM
    It's pretty dead on. If you are not tech savvy and just want things to work the iphone is for you. If you are more adept and like tweaking and customizing than Android is for you. It's like Mac vs PC all over again.

one point the article made I don't agree with is

AWFUL: Let's face it, Apple still designs the best hardware Really? Antenna much?
    10-13-2010 12:18 PM
    I also agree with 97% of the article. I've always said and will continue to say that Apple is for simple people cuz it just works straight out of the box. I walk around and EVERY iphone user I see, I just say " simple " . Every iphone is the EXACT same and that is what I don't like( as well as 100 other things about apple ). You can take 10 Evo 4g from 10 different people and the UI can have 10 totally different experinces. I LOVE Android for that.
    10-13-2010 12:31 PM
    You know...The amount of older people I see with an I-phone. I remember someone somewhere saying it's a (I-phone) smart phone for dummies. I tend to agree.
    10-13-2010 12:33 PM
    Good article. Wish they'd mention Android's amazing return policy on the app market. Really, a 24 hour trial period on ANYTHING you purchase is pretty awesome, especially the ease of it....just uninstall it within 24 hours and get your money back. Any other company would make you call a number, be on hold for an hour, argue with some rep from India...all just to get a refund of a couple bucks, and most people wouldn't bother.

I am not sure I agree with the author that Android will become the developer platform of choice. Android just passed the iPhone in the number of devices in the wild (I believe within the last month), but as soon as iPhone hits Verizon in a few months, the number of iPhone users is going to skyrocket past Android again...probably by a very significant amount.
    10-13-2010 12:59 PM
    Good article.
    I am not sure I agree with the author that Android will become the developer platform of choice. Android just passed the iPhone in the number of devices in the wild (I believe within the last month), but as soon as iPhone hits Verizon in a few months, the number of iPhone users is going to skyrocket past Android again...probably by a very significant amount.

Thats basically because iphone has something android is only now recieving....name recognition.....more people have heard of iphone and there for want one as the next "hot thing"....without really truly want it is.
    10-13-2010 01:47 PM
    I am going to laugh my butt off when verizon gets an iphone. It is going to be the 3g model, not the 3gs or the 4 and it will not work right at all

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
    10-13-2010 02:26 PM
    I am going to laugh my butt off when verizon gets an iphone. It is going to be the 3g model, not the 3gs or the 4 and it will not work right at all

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
    Why would Apple use a design they don't even make anymore? Use your head.
    10-13-2010 02:41 PM
    Uh, the Android phone depicted in the article does not and never has existed. It's a screencap from the 1st gen Android emulator that shipped with the SDK. Could they at least do a little homework first?

In fact, the whole article makes me think that's what he's comparing--the iPhone in his pocket to the Android emulator he downloaded.

Each item listed under "AWFUL" can't be ascribed to every Android phone, or even any Android phone. Google only provides the OS kernel, basic UI and some tools. It's up to handset makers and carriers to fill in the rest. Depending on how much you want to spend, they all do. The free market competition between handset makers has already addressed every "AWFUL" item attributed to the platform. Pick the solution that fits your needs best.

And the "AWFUL" attributed to the marketplace (more BBs than Androids) is not a failing of the platform but the maturity of the market. Look at the trends, and they tell a different story. If you want to argue that developers are focusing on BBs, I would argue that different developers are focusing on its distinctly different market. Ever notice how BB apps all cost 20 bucks? It's because BBs used to be owned by people on expense accounts who weren't footing the bill. Guess what trend I see every day--You may not have noticed but the economy has had a huge impact on that market, shifting BES vs BIS usage into 20-80 territory. That's right; as people get fired they are keeping their phones but they're dropping BES and not buying expensive business apps anymore. That market is drying up faster than their market share is actually falling. As the contracts of these unemployed BB owers expire, they are dropping the platform altogether for something that doesn't charge an extra tax just for BIS. That something is Android.

--Qfg
    10-13-2010 02:42 PM
    It's pretty dead on. If you are not tech savvy and just want things to work the iphone is for you. If you are more adept and like tweaking and customizing than Android is for you. It's like Mac vs PC all over again.
    I would agree that the Mac is easier in that you just don't have as many issues as you do with Windows PCs. As far as day to day operation, they're about equal.

I would say that OS X has more tweaking capabilities than Windows via the Terminal. Also, you can run Windows, Linux, Unix, and OS X software.

Where Windows has more tweaking capability is on the hardware side.

Just my 2 cents.
    10-13-2010 06:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD