EVO vs G2 (overclocking)

jrun

May 27, 2010
Visit site
So, after seeing on the main page that they were able to get the G2 to overclock to 1.42ghz.. it raised the question to me, what is the max we can overclock to?

Diff kernels have held the max to 1.19, 1.22 and 1.26 that i've played with on my EVO. I've been able to push it to 1.22 on some kernels and only 1.19 on others. I've never been able to get 1.26 to work with any kernel / rom combo personally. So i'm just curious, what is it that allows the G2 to get up to 1.42? Is there a limitation to our version of processor? Is it the kernel that has to be written in a certain way (better?) in order for us to go higher?

This is merely a curiosity post.. just wondering if we still have potential to go any higher or if we are now more at a hardware limitation?

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The G2 has a completely different processor. That's pretty much it.

How high we can overclock is pretty much limited only by the architecture. Some EVOs can go only to 1.19, some slightly higher. This is because each CPU isn't perfectly identical (each have tiny structural defects). This is why they don't clock them at 1.22 out of the factory. The kernel really isn't going to make much of a difference, as long as it's stable.

Also note that clock speed is not always directly comparable. One CPU at 1ghz is not necessarily faster than another CPU model at 800mhz.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The newer Snapdragon processors like the G2's version are built on a 45nm process as opposed to the 65nm that the EVO's is built on. This means that it generates less heat. That allows it to be able to be pushed farther because the heat threshold is a lot higher.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
All i know is that with snap turbo and o/ced to 1.19 i can get just as high on quadrant as the G2 o/ced to 1.4

I'm sure the G2 will eventually blow us outta the water, but im content for now :)

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
The question is why push the processor past its normal conservative operating frequency for a lousy performance gain that's not even needed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995