Wi-Fi interfering with 3G reception

Evo Longoria

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I've been having a problem since the last OTA: When I have Wi-Fi on, often I cannot get normal 3G reception. Mail won't update, web pages won't load, the Market won't open. As soon as I turn Wi-Fi off, all those things begin working immediately. It doesn't happen *all* the time, but often enough that it's a PitA.

Anyone know anything about this and how I might correct it?

(Yes, there are a few warts and occasional inconveniences, but I wouldn't give up my EVO for anything--but an EVO 2...)

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I've been having a problem since the last OTA: When I have Wi-Fi on, often I cannot get normal 3G reception. Mail won't update, web pages won't load, the Market won't open. As soon as I turn Wi-Fi off, all those things begin working immediately. It doesn't happen *all* the time, but often enough that it's a PitA.

Anyone know anything about this and how I might correct it?

(Yes, there are a few warts and occasional inconveniences, but I wouldn't give up my EVO for anything--but an EVO 2...)

I'm a little confused by this, under normal circumstances the 3G data connection should be suspended while WIFI is in use, are you seeing a 3G icon and a WIFI icon simultaneously?

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You should be able to check the Market, surf and download mail on wifi. Are you sure the phone is connecting to your wifi router? On ocassions I have had to reboot my router to restore the connection.

Evo Longoria

May 11, 2010
Visit site
@thefredelement Well first, I wasn't aware that 3G was toggled off when Wi-Fi was on. For some reason I thought they operated independently and simultaneously. The phone still shows the Mobile Network as being on when Wi-Fi is on. In any event, I really didn't have this problem before. Sometimes, when both my Wi-Fi and Mobile Network functions are enabled, Internet-dependent programs won't work. That's the best way I know to explain what I'm experiencing. Right now, they're both on and everything's working fine.

Other thing: My phone has been rebooting itself lately, for no reason that's immediately apparent to me. I watched it happen today; I walked into the room, the phone was on the bed, and less than a minute later, the white background with the yellow 4G splash screen came up. I'd read about this happening to other people, but I thought that stopped after the Froyo update, and I thought it also had something to do with the GPS function, which I didn't have on. 'Seems to still be the case, though.

Evo Longoria

May 11, 2010
Visit site
You should be able to check the Market, surf and download mail on wifi. Are you sure the phone is connecting to your wifi router? On ocassions I have had to reboot my router to restore the connection.

I haven't had any trouble connect to my router. In fact, I recently bought a new router to get better signal strength. Have never had any disconnects, that I know of. And I *can* do all those things on Wi-Fi. And, of course, Mobile Networks. And usually, both. But sometimes it just doesn't work when both are on. I haven't a clue why; I was hoping someone out there had heard or seen this, because I don't know how to track it down. I suppose it's not the biggest problem in the world; I'll learn to live with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol