Does your EVO Rings 4 times before you hear it? Fix your "Slot Index Cycle"!

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I called my EVO to find where it was. It took 4 full rings before the EVO rang once.

Call your phone to see how many rings it takes for your phone to actually ring. Want to fix it?

"Ring Lag" may be due to an out of date PRL, Roaming checking, and your Slot Cycle Index. (Sprint 11/1/09, PreCentral 8/09)

Update Your PRL
Updating your Preferred Roaming List (PRL) makes sure that your phone is not looking for the wrong towers:
• Tap Home > Menu > Settings > System updates > Update PRL.

Turn off the Roaming ringtone
This saves time because it no longer checks first to see if your phone is Roaming:
• Tap Home > Menu > Sound settings > Roaming ringtone UNCHECK.

Reduce your Slot Cycle Index to 1 or Even 0
Your Slot Cycle Index (SCI) is how long your phone waits before it "polls" to see if it is being called. An SCI of 0 is 1.28 seconds, 1 is 2.56, 2 is 5.12, 3 is 10.24 seconds, and so on. Your SCI defaults to a 2 or a 5.12 second delay!

A lower SCI can use more battery but most find little battery loss with an SCI of 1 or even 0. The screenshots below are for an EVO but other Sprint Android phones should be similar.

Reduce your Slot Cycle Index to 1 or even 0
1. Call Sprint and tell them that your phone does not ring right away and that you need your MSL (Master Subsidy Lock). Your MSL is your 6 digit password number. Or use the MSL Reader for rooted CDMA phone.
2. Open your Phone app: Tap Home > Phone.
3. Dial ##DATA# (##3282#).
4. When the EPST menu comes up, Tap Edit Mode.
attachment.php

5. Enter your MSL as your Password such as 123456 and tap OK.
attachment.php

6. On the EPST screen, Tap Advanced.
attachment.php

7. Tap Slot Cycle Index.
attachment.php

8. Change the Slot Cycle Index to 1 (0 is faster but takes more battery)
attachment.php

Notice that the SCI of 0 is hidden at the top!
9. Tap Menu > Commit Modifications
attachment.php

and it will Reboot your phone for the changes to take effect.
attachment.php

Would you call your EVO again. Does it ring more quickly?

Could owners of other phones also try these instructions to see if this works for your phone? Were any steps different?

Thanks!

Also see: Ring Lag Fix (SCI Method)

Last edited:

anon(67326)

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I tried the online "chat" at Sprint.com;

sprint: I am sorry; due to security reasons we do not provide MSL.
ME: Even if I call in?
Sprint: Unfortunately Yes.

:p

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I tried the online "chat" at Sprint.com;

sprint: I am sorry; due to security reasons we do not provide MSL.
ME: Even if I call in?
Sprint: Unfortunately Yes.

:p

Yes they will. Just tell them that HTC told you to do a reset and you need to reprogram your phone.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk Pro

anon(67326)

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes they will. Just tell them that HTC told you to do a reset and you need to reprogram your phone.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk Pro

the old "go ask your Mom - did you ask your Dad" routine? :p

I'll try calling them at some point but I'm really busy wasting my time on this series of algoretubes. :cool:

Cubfan

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
VERY helpful thread. That last piece (the MSL reader app) is great! Just the tip I needed since I didn't want to go through calling Sprint!

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
VERY helpful thread. That last piece (the MSL reader app) is great! Just the tip I needed since I didn't want to go through calling Sprint!

Yep, that app worked great. I absolutely hate calling large corporations and getting the run-around. Very clear instructions and changed mine to 1. We'll see how it works and affects battery life.

RickMG

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I cannot dial ##3282# from my dialer. It won't let me put in the last #. So, I put it in my contacts and dialed from there where I saw it dial but I get a recording saying there's no such number. I'm wondering if the CS person at Sprint did something when I asked for the MSL numbers she was asking all kind of questions why. I told her why and she was typing away. How else can I get into the EPST menu? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz