Qik update

aphxtwinin

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
i do have an Evo, and i still do not see a Qik specific for Evo...maybe they took it down? can anyone link me to it? whats your version # kenl? should i just use the tmobile version?

fonewiz

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Old and new version just crashes my 2 Evo's

I have two Evo's about a week old. With both the new and the version that came on the phone, trying to do almost anything with Qik results in a reboot of the device.

Also, tried Tango and it is worse. Causes the phone to go into an infinite loop of reboots. I had to do a reset and wipe all data and apps to get the phone to stop doing that, even after a battery pull.

Trying to decide if I should ask Sprint to replace both of these Evo's. I have two that do the same thing.

Running 2.2 and no hacks, roms or anything, just stock phones.

kenlperry

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
i do have an Evo, and i still do not see a Qik specific for Evo...maybe they took it down? can anyone link me to it? whats your version # kenl? should i just use the tmobile version?

Mine has the new version for the EVO, which is version 0.04.60.2. The one from T-Mobile is 0.04.3x.x... Something like that. Both of these versions worked on my EVO. Also, I just checked in the Market for Qik for EVO and you are right, it's not showing up anymore. Interesting... I wonder why. I think it was released the same day as the T-Mobile MyTouch 4G. I wonder if they removed it from the Market so that the MyTouch could have "exclusive" use of the new Qik features. The new Qik actually scans your contacts and creates a matching Qik contact that displays the Qik username of each contact. And it also shows you which contacts are currently signed in to Qik and available to receive a video chat. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be upgraded for the EVO yet and was released too soon.. Who knows. That is very interesting that it's since been removed though. I guess in the meantime you can just use the T-Mobile version. It worked fine for me.

aphxtwinin

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
ill try the tmobile version, maybe google saw that it was the same program and worked on both phones and removed the "clone." maybe Qik just need to change the name and pic and make it a universal app? i dunno just wondering what could be the reason

kenlperry

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I went into the Market on my EVO and looked at the recent comments for the Qik for EVO app and they don't look good. Alot of people are commenting that the app reboots their phone and other crazy stuff, so maybe that's why they removed it, to avoid more people downloading it. Not sure. But it works great on my EVO(knocks on wood)...

aphxtwinin

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
ok, i got the tmobile app, it works all is good but the app from qik still sux...so laggy. i was hoping for some sort of improvement besides the UI

anon(67326)

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I went into the Market on my EVO and looked at the recent comments for the Qik for EVO app and they don't look good. Alot of people are commenting that the app reboots their phone and other crazy stuff, so maybe that's why they removed it, to avoid more people downloading it. Not sure. But it works great on my EVO(knocks on wood)...

same here. works awesome (version 4.60.2). i take any/all comments with a serious grain of salt since most of them are "add me 29whtmale"

ok, i got the tmobile app, it works all is good but the app from qik still sux...so laggy. i was hoping for some sort of improvement besides the UI

there are improvements besides UI. just apparently not on the t-mobile version....

lager1829

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I have two Evo's about a week old. With both the new and the version that came on the phone, trying to do almost anything with Qik results in a reboot of the device.

Also, tried Tango and it is worse. Causes the phone to go into an infinite loop of reboots. I had to do a reset and wipe all data and apps to get the phone to stop doing that, even after a battery pull.

Trying to decide if I should ask Sprint to replace both of these Evo's. I have two that do the same thing.

Running 2.2 and no hacks, roms or anything, just stock phones.
Tango is actually very stable, intuitive and works great on my EVO. I went to Tango because QIK would not find other QIK users from my contact list (I had to use their QIK ID for them to show up) and overall did not function as expected - so much of disappointment, I wrote to dan@Sprint asking to find an alternate video chat app, like Tango. QIK is severely overrated.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I got this Qik update. I can now actually USE the app.

Last version just would not ever connect a video call. Me and my wife both have EVO's. Both had strong 3G signal. It just never connected.

Now it actually works, and works quite well.

Tried fring, but in a video call, i got massive amounts of feedback anytime one of us spoke. it was unusable.

My only complaint with Qik is that the volume seems low. Its sometimes hard to hear the other person talking, and it seems like for them to hear me I need to damn near yell into the mic. I have no such problems when useing the speaker phone during a phone call, so its not a hardware issue. I think the app just isnt boosting the mic or speaker loud enough....

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I can't get my EVO to perform an update for "Qik for HTC EVO". The Market app is telling me there is a manual update available for it, but if I try to even look at it, the Market app tells me "Not found. The requested item could not be found." (So I can't even look at Market comments for the app.)

A search for the app only shows "Qik Video". But that's not the EVO-optimized video-chat version (unless they've done a fundamental change and didn't properly transition EVO owners). I've tried clearing data for the Market app, but that didn't fix it.

Have any EVO users been able to successfully update to the latest version of "Qik for HTC EVO" (using the Market)? Is there actually a new version of that really available? It appears to be missing from the Market and the Market app is confused and won't let you update it, yet insists that an update is available.

Not rooted. No 3rd-party ROMs.

Any ideas?

anon(67326)

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Gadget- it does appear to be missing now but I was able to update the optimized qik app for EVO (v 4.60.2). Works great. Finds my contacts automatically. No feedback or volume issues. Maybe check qik.com for support?

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Gadget- it does appear to be missing now but I was able to update the optimized qik app for EVO (v 4.60.2). Works great. Finds my contacts automatically. No feedback or volume issues. Maybe check qik.com for support?

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

You must have updated before they pulled it from the Market. I can't get any information from Qik's support site about it. The only new information is about the T-Mobile version. All the other articles/posts on the site are old information.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Have any EVO users been able to successfully update to the latest version of "Qik for HTC EVO" (using the Market)? Is there actually a new version of that really available? It appears to be missing from the Market and the Market app is confused and won't let you update it, yet insists that an update is available.

Not rooted. No 3rd-party ROMs.

Any ideas?

Not sure of the issue but I can say that I was able to install the update from the Market with no issues.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Not sure of the issue but I can say that I was able to install the update from the Market with no issues.

Are you seeing it in the Market (and able to read comments)? Or is it also missing from the Market for you (even though you have it installed)?

I've submitted a help request to Qik. Hopefully they'll be able to tell me something helpful.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Wow! It's back. I just looked in the Market again and now it's back. Weird.

Thanks to everyone that gave feedback.

UPDATE: I just performed the update and now that it has updated, when I look for it in the Market again it is missing (same error as I got before). Very strange.

R1_Rydah

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
What's the version number everyone is looking for? I've got version 0.04.60.2 if anyone needs it... Not sure about the policy on posting freeware apk's

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Wow! It's back. I just looked in the Market again and now it's back. Weird.

Thanks to everyone that gave feedback.

UPDATE: I just performed the update and now that it has updated, when I look for it in the Market again it is missing (same error as I got before). Very strange.

Same here. I have it installed, but can't see it in the Market.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Did they pull this update, I have it installed but when trying to view it from my downloads I get "requested item could not be found".