8Pen keyboard

cst516

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Any EVO owners having issues with the letters not showing up why typing??

I thought I was having the same problem then realized that I have to return to the center after choosing the letter to get the letter to actually type. If you lift your finger before returning to the center then it will not type. Had to watch the video twice to remember this.

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Its almost a good as a memory game, trying to remember where all the letters are at! In all seriousness, the keyboard would be easier to learn if the letters were in an order that made sense to new users. Also don't understand how a free demo trial version wasn't made available.

Back to Swype myself. Realized that in the same amount of "swyping time/distance" that it takes me to write a 5 letter word, 8pen potentially has only one letter finished. That is of course not including the pain in the *** part of looking for the letter, and looking around my finger to see which letter is showing up. Then, while keeping my finger on the center button, looking for the next letter and going through the same excruciating process. Not for me.

Mister869

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I am trying the 8pen and I get spaces between every letter and cannot figure out how to change this. I would be willing to learn this keyboard, but this is driving me crazy.

jnadelman

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I want a demo or a trial. The keyboard sounds interesting, but there are a lot of negative comments out there. With such a huge learning curve, the 24 return window is not enough. I need a week+ trial.

jfultz14976

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Its free right now, but very hard to get the hang of it.

Took me 3 min to type "its free right" and less then 2 to type the rest on the stock keyboard.

But hey, its free!

ectoren

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I want a demo or a trial. The keyboard sounds interesting, but there are a lot of negative comments out there. With such a huge learning curve, the 24 return window is not enough.

I think the key words are: "With such a huge learning curve". If you look at most post through out this forum, the negative side is the need to learn:

1. Where the letter is located.
2. Which way to pick the letter (turn right or left)
3. How many "thresholds" to cross to choose the letter.

I gave up on it. I rather stick to typing the ol' fashion way. :p

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
no desire to even test that key board. it's just a terrible design. you can't take a keyboard layout that we have been using for 100's of years and toss it in the garbage.

roothog

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Back to Swype myself. Realized that in the same amount of "swyping time/distance" that it takes me to write a 5 letter word, 8pen potentially has only one letter finished.

You're absolutely right, of course, on speed of word entry. However, I think the argument for 8pen over Swype is that once you've memorized the keyboard, you can enter text via 8pen without looking at the phone. You can do it by feel because the target zones are so large. With Swype or a traditional keyboard, you need to look at where your finger is touching the screen because the target zones (letters) are so small.

I suppose 8pen will be useful to high-schoolers cheating on tests in class or texting while driving, if either of those things are useful to you.

NEST600

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
For me ShapeWriter was the only Swype-like keyboard I could use. Swype's choice of words/suggestions/paths is almost always wrong for me. The dictionary handling is intolerable for my use and the number of commands it's added as words that then screw actual words up really gets annoying. Not being able to see the dictionary as a whole at once then makes it much harder to keep it 'clean'.

If ShapeWriter came back I'd be all over it.

For ~me~ this keyboard works well one-handed using my thumb. Nothing to do with driving, don't do that. And I'm not in exams to cheat on. That was over a decade ago.

I'm slower with it as of this moment than I am with Swype BUT I'm NOT making nearly as many word errors AND I'm less frustrated. With Swype if I had to be slow and deliberate I was _pissed_, because it still didn't buy me much word choice accuracy. With 8pen if I do slower and deliberate it is at least spot-on for me.

I'm giving it a month.... and hoping for ShapeWriter to return over Swype. I'm undecided but I'm not down on 8pen. -Pk

akarol

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The problem is that every other device, including out desktops, laptops, other phones, etc, still use, and will always use QWERTY. It's second-nature. Having to keep switching between the two is just inefficient.

skafri#WN

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
For me ShapeWriter was the only Swype-like keyboard I could use. Swype's choice of words/suggestions/paths is almost always wrong for me. The dictionary handling is intolerable for my use and the number of commands it's added as words that then screw actual words up really gets annoying. Not being able to see the dictionary as a whole at once then makes it much harder to keep it 'clean'.

If ShapeWriter came back I'd be all over it.

For ~me~ this keyboard works well one-handed using my thumb. Nothing to do with driving, don't do that. And I'm not in exams to cheat on. That was over a decade ago.

I'm slower with it as of this moment than I am with Swype BUT I'm NOT making nearly as many word errors AND I'm less frustrated. With Swype if I had to be slow and deliberate I was _pissed_, because it still didn't buy me much word choice accuracy. With 8pen if I do slower and deliberate it is at least spot-on for me.

I'm giving it a month.... and hoping for ShapeWriter to return over Swype. I'm undecided but I'm not down on 8pen. -Pk

Download ShapeWriter APK | Rough Book