I have had my evo since launch and I am running android 2.2. Recently my battery has had a serious drop in battery life, from 24 hours+ to around 12 hours. I am using the stock battery and have removed any recent apps that I have installed. I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks.
    11-04-2010 12:29 PM
    Read as much as you can about improving the battery life. It sounds like you might have a rogue app (even if it's been installed for a while).
    11-04-2010 12:30 PM
    Yes, I am fluent with all the tips for saving battery power and have been using them. I just find it strange that this changed all of the sudden.
    11-04-2010 12:45 PM
    I would check and see if you have any apps that are keeping to up-time high, or maybe keeping a partial wake lock open. You can see some of this in the battery stats in settings. Spare parts is good for this, too.
    11-04-2010 12:47 PM
    I have had my evo since launch and I am running android 2.2. Recently my battery has had a serious drop in battery life, from 24 hours+ to around 12 hours. I am using the stock battery and have removed any recent apps that I have installed. I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks.
    I would download battery history. It is a free app in the market and is very small. It is one of the few that doesn't eat up your battery to report about your battery. hahah Install it and leave it be for about a day so it can report normal usage. Then open it up, switch to Partial Wake report. It will list the top battery consuming apps that prevent your phone from fully idling. If they are apps you can get rid of cool, if not then you might need to look in to rooting and using custom roms or kernels.

I was getting about 6 hours of heavy usage from my EVO, uninstalled a few apps and I started getting about 10 hours of heavy usage. Now I am rooted running VaelPak with Netarchy kernel and now getting a whole day out of my phone without having to charge.
    11-04-2010 01:14 PM
    1. 4G, WIFI, GPS, BT, Hotspot all set at OFF with widgets. turn ON only as needed.
    2. Brightness set to very low (underneath checkmark - extreme left). this is plenty bright for me.
    3. No Live Wallpaper. not sure of this makes a difference but i have my own graphic anyway.
    4. No Data intensive constant data hungry widgets/apps constantly running. i wiped News and Stocks and Sprint Zone. uncheck them for sync. i will get my data from the browser fresh as needed. i have no updating widgets other than 2 weather cities with the nice big beautiful HTC Clock/Weather default widget i keep with auto refresh at 1 hour. i have 2 GMail PUSH accounts that i set up and are always on.
    5. Sign out of everything when done - GTalk, Qik, FB, etc. Everything! i don' use this stuff anyway. as noted before - let GTalk run in the background for PUSH Gmail but always sign out and uncheck auto sign you in.
    6. Vibrate is ON for Calls and Texts. Vibrate is OFF for emails. all Haptic Feedback - Keyboard, Screen, etc. is OFF.
    7. i DO NOT use a task killer or kill tasks with the Manage Applications Panel.
    11-04-2010 01:20 PM
    1. 4G, WIFI, GPS, BT, Hotspot all set at OFF with widgets. turn ON only as needed.
    2. Brightness set to very low (underneath checkmark - extreme left). this is plenty bright for me.
    3. No Live Wallpaper. not sure of this makes a difference but i have my own graphic anyway.
    4. No Data intensive constant data hungry widgets/apps constantly running. i wiped News and Stocks and Sprint Zone. uncheck them for sync. i will get my data from the browser fresh as needed. i have no updating widgets other than 2 weather cities with the nice big beautiful HTC Clock/Weather default widget i keep with auto refresh at 1 hour. i have 2 GMail PUSH accounts that i set up and are always on.
    5. Sign out of everything when done - GTalk, Qik, FB, etc. Everything! i don' use this stuff anyway. as noted before - let GTalk run in the background for PUSH Gmail but always sign out and uncheck auto sign you in.
    6. Vibrate is ON for Calls and Texts. Vibrate is OFF for emails. all Haptic Feedback - Keyboard, Screen, etc. is OFF.
    7. i DO NOT use a task killer or kill tasks with the Manage Applications Panel.
    GPS doesn't use any battery unless an app is accessing it. And he already said he was well aware of the battery saving tips and tricks. But thanks for the tips.
    11-04-2010 01:28 PM
    Yes, thanks for the tips but I WAS getting great battery life from my phone until recently. I checked running apps and battery useage and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I also installed battery history, so I guess we will see how that goes.
    11-04-2010 01:35 PM
    GPS doesn't use any battery unless an app is accessing it. And he already said he was well aware of the battery saving tips and tricks. But thanks for the tips.
    1. how do you know that GPS isn't constantly being banged behind the scenes unbeknownst to you by some location hungry app? turn it off and you can be sure.
    2. how do you know that he knows about all of the tips i listed?
    11-04-2010 01:38 PM
    1. how do you know that GPS isn't constantly being banged behind the scenes unbeknownst to you by some location hungry app? turn it off and you can be sure.

I keep track of what's running. Anything using location is because I told it to. If it's not being pinged in the background the radio uses no battery. I also look at the permissions an app requests when it's installed. I don't install apps I don't use (which I recommend to everybody), so if it's using it it's because I want it to.

2. how do you know that he knows about all of the tips i listed?

He stated above that he was aware of the tips/tricks and was using them.
    See bold above.

It is possible that the OP searched before posting and was trying things that he found.
    11-04-2010 01:42 PM
    Definitely have a bad app or something. Not normal to have such a huge dive in battery life. Have you tried the suggested apps? Find anything? You can also try System Pane, and WatchDog Lite (my personal favorite). Let us know what you find...

Also....
    Never understood these ridiculous battery saving tricks. Not saying they don't work, but are they really necessary? I have mobile internet on all the time, unless I'm home, which I'll then have WIFI on all the time. Gps is on all the time, brightness is set to auto not all the way down.. I want to see my screen not squint to see things, I almost always use a live wallpaper (using one I did myself actually), I have multiple widgets on every homescreen and a few automatically update, I'm signed into Gtalk, Qik, Twitter, Facebook, KIK, LiveProfile, with Twitter updating every 5 minutes and facebook every 30 minutes, I talk on Gtalk Kik and LiveProfile all day, the volume for everything is set all way up, haptic feedback is on and vibrate for everything, I have the sound for selections on. In other words, I use my phone. I use it the way it's supposed to without being scared of the battery dying in 10 minutes. Depending on what kernel I'm using, I can easily get 15 hours of hard usage.... So are those battery savings tricks really worth the annoyance of doing all these tricks?
    11-04-2010 06:17 PM
    these tips are no annoyance, inconvenience, or hardship for me. ironically, today's social networking craze is way more of an annoyance, inconvenience, and hardship for me.
    11-04-2010 06:26 PM
    these tips are no annoyance, inconvenience, or hardship for me. ironically, today's social networking craze is way more of an annoyance, inconvenience, and hardship for me.
    haha well everyone is different I guess
    11-04-2010 06:29 PM
    I do they basic ones, like turning on the gps, etc when I need to I keep the the screen brightness on automatic. Like you said, the big deal is the drop in battery life because I haven't changed any of the settings and I have this dramatic drop. I keep a spare battery on a charger and when my phone died today (unplugged for 10 hours) I put in the fresh battery and so far it is looking better, maybe the other battery just had a bad charge......
    11-04-2010 06:33 PM
    Definitely have a bad app or something. Not normal to have such a huge dive in battery life. Have you tried the suggested apps? Find anything? You can also try System Pane, and WatchDog Lite (my personal favorite). Let us know what you find...

Also....
    Never understood these ridiculous battery saving tricks. Not saying they don't work, but are they really necessary? I have mobile internet on all the time, unless I'm home, which I'll then have WIFI on all the time. Gps is on all the time, brightness is set to auto not all the way down.. I want to see my screen not squint to see things, I almost always use a live wallpaper (using one I did myself actually), I have multiple widgets on every homescreen and a few automatically update, I'm signed into Gtalk, Qik, Twitter, Facebook, KIK, LiveProfile, with Twitter updating every 5 minutes and facebook every 30 minutes, I talk on Gtalk Kik and LiveProfile all day, the volume for everything is set all way up, haptic feedback is on and vibrate for everything, I have the sound for selections on. In other words, I use my phone. I use it the way it's supposed to without being scared of the battery dying in 10 minutes. Depending on what kernel I'm using, I can easily get 15 hours of hard usage.... So are those battery savings tricks really worth the annoyance of doing all these tricks?
    I agree. I use my phone and a lot of the features that sold me on it. If I wanted to turn all the stuff off I woulda stuck with my instinct.

Imagine what gekko's battery life would be like with vael/netarchy combo and all the stuff off.
    11-04-2010 09:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD