Google Maps, adjust to cursor location

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Well I just made the jump from the Pre to the EVO, and am desperately trying hard to like it... It's getting easier, but there's a lot of the Web OS that I miss, especially having all of my e-mail inboxes in one view. And the gestures, and the notifications, and the ability to turn on/off the BT, WiFi, etc from the top bar, etc... :)

Anyway, i seem to remember that the maps would move along with the cursor when driving, and I'm not noticing that with Google maps on the Evo. Am I imagining something?

Thanks!
David...

Grung

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Tap the "My Location" icon at the top right of the screen to keep your location centered in the middle of the map.

Grung

May 27, 2010
Visit site
....and BTW, there's something, app, widget, etc available in Android that can take care of all the other things you miss.

Grung

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Could be splitting hairs...but he didn't say he missed the gesture area...just gestures, many, if not most are part of the Android interface, can be added with an app or widget, or are actually superior to the Palm, IMHO.

DavidJ726

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Tap the "My Location" icon at the top right of the screen to keep your location centered in the middle of the map.

Thanks! there's so many different things to learn and to adapt to.

Yeah, I still do miss the gestures, not so much the gesture area. I'll adapt :-(

callderek#AC

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! there's so many different things to learn and to adapt to.

Yeah, I still do miss the gestures, not so much the gesture area. I'll adapt :-(

I moved over from the Pre a few weeks ago myself and although I agree with the ease of use issues, I think you'll like the Evo. I'm just now really getting used to the user interface (UI) but still miss the WebOS. That being said, the Evo has SOOOOO much more avaliable...Camara and camcorder have way better options, tons of free apps in the Market App, the hardware ROCKS, but battery power might be worse than the Pre. If HPalm does come out with a "superphone" with some sweet hardware I'll go back...But Untill then the Evo is a step up.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
blackberry did the same thing with google maps. it moved as you moved. kinda disappointed that evo don't do that.

it's not about turns and navigation. it's about staying with you when your in the neighborhood trying to find something or whatever other reason. it's nice to be able to just pull up the map of my surrounding area. specially when i'm in a newer area that isn't programmed for gps. or that i don't have an address to even programm into gps. it's also not as time consuming over having to program an address.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
blackberry did the same thing with google maps. it moved as you moved. kinda disappointed that evo don't do that.

it's not about turns and navigation. it's about staying with you when your in the neighborhood trying to find something or whatever other reason. it's nice to be able to just pull up the map of my surrounding area. specially when i'm in a newer area that isn't programmed for gps. or that i don't have an address to even programm into gps. it's also not as time consuming over having to program an address.

...It DOES do that, we already established this in the thread!

Also Google Maps Navigation has something even BETTER. Go into Navigation, change the menu option on the top left to "walking", and hit the Maps button in the upper right. It will load up Navigation without a destination, and allow you to turn on a bunch of layers showing things nearby, as well as search.

It not only follows you around in this mode, it will use the compass and orient the screen in the way you're facing. And it even tilts the view if you tilt the phone.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
we're talking google MAPS. not google navigation. 2 different programs. it DON'T follow you around. and it DON'T keep the screen lit. not unless something has changed in teh last 3 days.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
we're talking google MAPS. not google navigation. 2 different programs. it DON'T follow you around. and it DON'T keep the screen lit. not unless something has changed in teh last 3 days.

Google Navigation is Google Maps... with navigation in it. Seriously, have you even looked at what I showed you? It's exactly what you'd want, except even better.

Edit: I mean seriously, stop being DENSE. That section of Google Maps Navigation that I explained above is PURPOSE BUILT for EXACTLY what you'd want: to follow you around and show you points of interest as you walk/drive. It doesn't require, nor even ask for a destination. And it does WAY more than just Google Maps does.

And even IF you ignore all of that (which you shouldn't, because it's easily the best Google Maps version on any phone), just go into Google Maps, and tap the button in the upper right corner. It does follow you as you walk around, I literally just tried it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarqBland

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
google maps still didn't follow me around. 2 different icons.

i haven't played around with google navigation other then actual navigation.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
google maps still didn't follow me around. 2 different icons.
Press. This. Button. I seriously don't understand how difficult that is. It will follow the blue arrow wherever you go.

snap20101113_233740.jpg

i haven't played around with google navigation other then actual navigation.
Then I suggest you do so, instead of insisting it isn't what you want.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
allrighty. did a test run and yes it followed me. FOR THE FIRST TIME. it's never done it before. but i just did a fresh phone software install.

wifi never gets turned on. haven't found a need for it yet.

and there's no need to act like an *******. what works for some doesn't necessarily mean it works for others.

i'm somewhat tech savy. not dense like you want to think i am. i can't control whatever glitch gets thrown my way.