Evo sent text message to the wrong recipient!

Fisherking

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
This morning, I sent a text message to someone using my Evo, and then sent a second message to someone else a minute later. However, the first person received BOTH messages (she called and told me). And yet, my Evo's message log mistakenly indicates that the second recipient received the second message!

Has anyone experienced this? I assume that the problem was that I sent the second message too soon after the first one, ie, Evo still had the first phone number in its system when the second message was being sent.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I had a similar situation. I sent a text to my brother-in-law but it showed it went to my friend but my friend never actually got the message & my brother-in-law did.

Did that make sense?

ToddPsyD

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar situation. I sent a text to my brother-in-law but it showed it went to my friend but my friend never actually got the message & my brother-in-law did.

Did that make sense?

I've had this same thing happen 1 time, strange....

its_miller_time

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I have found on the EVO, that if you have more than one "conversation" in the inbox that if you select one converation to reply to, it may actually pull up one of the other converations to reply to. If you're not careful, you can make an "ooops" - unless if course you're not texting someone about something you should not be talking about! :p

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
For the people that have experienced this issue, what text messaging client are you using? Is it the stock messaging client or are you using a 3rd-party client like Handcent?

I use Handcent and have never experienced this bug/error.

reynoldsrobbie

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Mine does it just about everyday. I always have to double check before I start to type, just in case. I know for a fact that its not user error. I have even checked to see if the conversation that popped up was just below or above the one I wanted to choose and it almost always not.

dcross9818

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I've had this issue with the people scrolling widget where I would touch the icon for one of my friends to sent a text and it would load up a different person from that same list, I guess it is just a sense bug. I just double check the name it loads and go from there.

---dcross9818

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It's not user error, or at least it's a combination of user technique and a possible design. It has to do with how the stock messaging app interacts with the Android system notification.

I recreated it this way. Open a text, but only from the notification bar. You will be taken directly to the conversation from that contact. Now, just hit the home button to get back to the home screen. Repeat this four times to let the open conversations build up. We'll call the earliest contact 1, the next 2, etc. for this example. Let's say you converse with these contacts over some time so that messages occur in this chronological order (opened from the notification menu if possible) : 1, you, 2, you, 3, you, 4, you, 1, 3, you, 3.

Now, you've read the message from contact 3, but quickly hit the back button because you need to send a message to contact 4. So you're back at the conversation list and select conversation 4. You compose and send your message and off you go. But, what can actually happen is that your message went to contact 1 because there is a bug that when you use the back button, it will take you to the conversation screen and when you select one, it will take you to the conversation with the last "unreplied" message received before the last conversation you didn't reply to, regardless of the one you actually select from the list. It's easy to miss that it took you to the wrong conversation as the on screen info can take a beat to update and it looks like you've select the right conversation. The kicker is the conversation list does highlight the one you meant to select, but will take you to that other conversation. It's as if it's saying, "Hey, I know you want to go to that one, but you opened this message and jumped out of it without replying. Maybe you didn't see it."

It's pretty easy for people to not have seen this for a few reasons:

1. You open messages directly from the messaging app
2. You close out every conversation using the back button and don't let them build up on top of each other
3. Messages can come in such a sequence that the conditions are never correct
4. It has actually happened, only the last "unreplied" message was from the conversation you actually intended to enter

I was able to create reliably using my Google voice number to send myself text and watched it bounce around conversations seemingly randomly. It was only when I looked at the times of each message with no replies that I saw what it was doing actually had order to it.

About 30 minutes of experimentation to figure it out, but I had to know how this was happening as I could see it leading to an egregious error later. ;) Now to explain it to HTC...

8tech

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Its happened to me at least 3 times. The first time it happened during dinner with cousins. One of them asked me why I was texting her. I doubt it was user error since I usually text carefully.