Should I get an Evo or Epic

Bronxdroid

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm a Sprint premier customer and I'm due for an yearly upgrade tomorrow. I'm moving on from an Samsung Moment which is on its final legs of life with constant crashes, errors, restart loops and evdo hangups etc. Samsung left a bad taste in my mouth and so did HTC with the Touch Diamond which I owned a year before. Now I'm considering going back to HTC with its Evo 4g. Should I get an Evo 4g or should I get a Samsung Epic or should I ride out my Moment as long as I can for another month until newer phones come out in January? I need your Input people?

snake411

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
If you want a slide out keyboard get the epic, if you're cool with a slimmer toutch screen keyboard then get the evo. I have the evo and its just about the best phone I have ever used... so I recommend evo. This is just a short version of what to get.

Sent from my Evo 4g

31794ty

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
The Epic feels very sloppy and cheap. Samsung phones definitely have quality issues. The Evo's 4.3" screen provides plenty of typing room. There is no need for a physical keyboard.

c0c0nutsp0rt

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I had the Evo for a few weeks and then went with an Epic. I missed the keyboard coming from a Touch Pro 2 and the screen looked a lot better to me on the Epic.

It's a coin toss really. I could be just as happy with the Evo.

tsims10s

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
The Evo is a well made phone and after three months owning it I would say it's the best phone I've ever used. I had an Epic for four days but I found that the physical keyboard was not something I needed and I didn't like the looseness of the phone, I went back to my local Radio Shack and exchanged it for the Evo. I've been very happy with my decision.

Bronxdroid

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I wonder what other response you're going to get posting this in the Evo forum?

I vote Evo

I could only wonder. So far I think I'm leaning towards the Evo. The only thing the Epic beats the Evo in is the Super Amoled screen and the slide out keyboard. I did enjoy the amoled screen and slide out keyboard from the Samsung Moment to be honest, but still leaning towards the evo.

smithe68

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Originally I was going to buy the EVO, but I got the Epic instead because I was so used to having a keyboard on my Pre, and other previous phones. I have had my Epic for a bit over a month and stopped using the keyboard after about 1 day. Tomorrow I go in to get my EVO, wife will get the Epic, she really doesn't like touch screens, but wants the extra screen real estate and much better internet experience over her ancient Samsung Rant.
One thing I really noticed between the two phones, indoors, the Epic screen wins, outside in natural lighting, the EVO wins (I compared with a friends EVO). They are both awesome phones and I don't think you can really go wrong with either one.

Last edited:

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
They are both excellent phones but ultimately it's up to you, your the one that has to use it on a daily basis. If your not sure try them both...my vote is for the Evo.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I could only wonder. So far I think I'm leaning towards the Evo. The only thing the Epic beats the Evo in is the Super Amoled screen and the slide out keyboard. I did enjoy the amoled screen and slide out keyboard from the Samsung Moment to be honest, but still leaning towards the evo.

I don't think the Epic's screen beats the Evo's screen. I think the Epic's screen is a little too dark, even with the brightness turned all the way up. The EVO looks really good and bright. I did think that the Epic was snappier when it came to scrolling and pinch to zoom. But if I had to choose, I would definitely pick the EVO. Its just slightly better.

snake411

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Bronxdroid please take note that you are asking this question on an evo4g fotum, so what do you think your answer will most likely be?

Sent from my Evo 4g

vmcc

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I've had both phones, and because I like a physical keyboard, I kept the Epic. I'm more than a little pissed that Samsung and Sprint are so slow in updating to Froyo, but what can I do.
If you like to watch videos and play games, the Epic is superior (by a lot). If that's not that big of a deal, the $50 premium you'd spend on an Epic could pay for a new Otterbox case and a screen protector.

vmcc

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm gonna piss some people off here, but the very best phone (in terms of build quality) I've ever used is an iPhone 4. That said, the best OS I've ever used is WebOS.
However, my last two phones have been an EVO and my current Epic, because as Android matures it's becoming the best of all worlds.
I would gladly pay more for a higher end model from HTC, Samsung, etc... if it was built and designed as well as an Apple.

duckwars

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
If you like to watch videos and play games, the Epic is superior (by a lot).

I don't agree with this. Maybe video games are better with hard keys, but as far as video goes I'd take a kickstand over the better screen.

I am the only person I have ever met that actually will watch a full TV show (even good portions of movies) on my cell phone, and a kickstand is invaluable.

With my old stupid iPhone I always had to curumple up a sweatshirt or something and lay it in that.

Also, my friend has the Galaxy phone on AT&T and he gets much better battery life. Don't listen to any of these guys that say "the EVO's battery life is fine". It is not. It is a serious issue I've only remedied by carrying 2 spare batteries with me.

vmcc

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
That's true; the kickstand was nice. When I say the video or gaming experience is better on the Epic, I just mean the screen is better and the graphics processor is faster.
You're right that the battery on the Evo is subpar. The Epic seems to be much better, but it still requires me to continue the habit (formed by having an Evo) of plugging it into a charger whenever I get the chance.
I turn my GPS and wifi off whenever I can, and turn down the screen's brightness.
If my phone only had the battery life of my new Kindle...

imekul

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
I've had plenty of time with both phones.

In my opinion, the Epic beats the Evo in the following areas:

• Better camera quality. Megapixels are lower (5 versus Evo's 8), but my Epic pictures turned out much better.
  • More horsepower. The Epic has a more powerful CPU and GPU. The Evo is still plenty fast, but the Epic has more raw strength.
  • The hardware keyboard, if this matters to you. When I had the Epic, I very rarely used the keyboard, as the screen was large enough for me to type in portrait mode.
The Epic does have its cons, though. Most notably (again, in my opinion):

• The GPS and compass just don't work or don't work well. Some people have had limited success with them, but I just couldn't get either to work reliably. The Evo's is so reliable and fast, which I really appreciate.
  • There aren't as many accessories available for the Epic.
  • The Epic is slightly thicker (although a little bit lighter) than the Evo. Also, the Epic, being a slider, just doesn't feel quite as solid as the Evo.
  • The touch buttons on the bottom of the Epic aren't nearly as precise as the Evo's. Seems like they miss presses here and there.
  • If you care about loading custom ROMs on your phone, there aren't nearly as many out there for the Epic at the moment.
  • No official Froyo (yet). When the Epic gets it, that should be a huge upgrade to an already-fast phone.
If the GPS issue wasn't present, I think I would be sticking with the Epic. But because that affects me quite a bit, I'm currently using the Evo.

Again, both are great phones!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781