12-30-2010 11:36 AM
140 1234 ...
tools
    I have a launch EVO. It's a great phone and does what I need it to do (document editing, my maps in Google Maps etc.) that WebOS didn't do. I do not regret my decision, and have been happy with it.
    However WebOS is clearly a superior operating system. Significantly easier to use, and much more intuitive. Palm got the OS right, they just gimped the hardware. Android reminds me of Windows Mobile, too many screens to jump through to get to what you need.
    The PIM on WebOS needed tweaked, but it is significantly better than native Android. For the most part calendar and contacts are a joke on Android. Grab Deja Office out of the market, it is a work in progress but a major upgrade to the native apps.
    I guess it depends on your uses and just understand what your getting into. Significantly better hardware, but a partially baked OS.
    12-03-2010 08:17 AM
    Well, my Pre is up for sale here. If anyone wants it.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/show...647#post453647
    12-03-2010 08:36 AM
    What up Buddy,evo rocks,I made the switch, you know me from over there,zmann,lol. At first I was not warming up to android, but after a few weeks I started loving it.I love no moving parts on my device and when I pick my pre up now it feels like a toy.I say go for it.

Sent using taptalk.
    12-03-2010 08:48 AM
    What up Buddy,evo rocks,I made the switch, you know me from over there,zmann,lol. At first I was not warming up to android, but after a few weeks I started loving it.I love no moving parts on my device and when I pick my pre up now it feels like a toy.I say go for it.

Sent using taptalk.
    zmann!
    Nice to read that a couple Pre enthusiast have made the switch. Does anyone know if the Evo can download MP3 from websites. For example, if i go on mediafire to download an MP3, can i do that or do i have to root it before i can do that?
    12-03-2010 09:18 AM
    Ok. Evo and Epic 4G, which is better?
    The Evo has a higher quality camera....HTC builds better phones...
    My husband and myself both came from the Pre. I have the Evo and he has the Epic. Honestly, these two phones are a dead tie. The only way to decide which one is better for you is if you want a physical keyboard or not.

I do not so the Evo is the Win for me.

My husband did want a keyboard so the Epic is the win for him.
    12-03-2010 09:56 AM
    The only way to decide which one is better for you is if you want a physical keyboard or not.
    Some would say the screen size and type. But. Really. It does come down to physical key board or not.
    12-03-2010 10:46 AM
    I listed the Pre on ebay. If you know anyone that wants it, its there. its in absolutely perfect condition.

Palm Pre (Sprint) - eBay (item 260702663412 end time Dec-10-10 12:56:28 PST)
    12-03-2010 03:01 PM
    Near launch Sprint Pre and launch Evo owner here.

Any benefits of webOS were completely overshadowed by how half-baked the 1.x OS was and the craptacular Sprint hardware. Sure, the cards idea was great but what's the point when the rest of the OS was laggy as hell even with overclocking?
    12-03-2010 03:03 PM
    I switched from the Pre a few months ago, after having been a loyal Palm user since 1997. Once I got used to the new interface, I haven't looked back.

WebOs has some nice features, but it can't compare to the huge, beautiful screen and the availability of so many more apps and features. I remember trying to read a QR code with the Pre's camera. LOL. I only wish I'd made the switch sooner.
    12-03-2010 05:00 PM
    I picked up an EVO about three weeks ago after having a sprint pre. The EVO's pretty bad ***, but I'm definitely not in the "never look back" crowd.

I'm definitely not bashing the EVO or anything, it really is great, I just miss a lot about webOS. In fact, the more I use this phone, the more I miss it. I think it has mostly to do with the lack of multitasking, and notifications. And a VKB. I've got swiftkey and ultra keyboard. Swiftkey was pretty neat for a minute, but I like ultra better with it's swype-like tracing and customizable themes. Neither is, for me, a substitute for a physical keyboard.

I think you'll be happy though if you switch. The hardware is lovely, and there are enough Apps --both useful, and just fun and gimmicky-- to keep you distracted for a good long time. I don't think you'll regret moving to the EVO.

And hey, if anyone can tell me how to keep a video playing in the background while I do something else, and change things so a phone call coming in doesn't take up the whole fricking screen and mess up whatever I was in the middle of doing, I will be forever grateful. I'm going for full root this week, so I'll be ready for whatever.

Anyway, you'll love the screen, the tons of Apps, and the build of the phone for sure! You'll miss music player remix if you had it. I miss no pause of video on screen change, and download any streaming media, as well as the notifications. Well, some other things too. This is getting mg to ne too Mich to type on a vkb (you can probably tell by me not caring to type and Reau type tips) so I'm gong to end soon...

Get the EVO, you'll like it. IM just being a whiny little *****. Even with my nitpicking, I won't be dropping this for shiny new webOS hardware until my full year with it I'd up.

Oh yeah, and U was in tht2323 E EVO versus epic boat too, and after lanky hos with both in sprint stores, I decided that as Mich as I hate vkb, the landscape slider on the epic is worse. HATED it. And IM not a gamer, so the gpu in epic didmtatyer either. I love EVO for browsing and watching videos. I preferred Sense too over touch wiz or whatever. Looking forward to trio mg senseless roms too now though.

I hope mycomplaong hasn't ruined my odds of getting help when I ho to root later.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    12-03-2010 07:50 PM
    I switched from the Pre, and miss a couple of things about WebOS but not much. The EVO is more like a mini tablet than the Pre was. I like everything about my EVO, it does everything and does it a lot better than my Pre did. Bigger keyboard, better browser, bigger, better screen. The EVO is better computer and a better phone. I thought that WebOS was a better OS also when I had the phone but its not better at all. HP will have to make a phone like the EVO before I would consider going back.
    12-03-2010 08:35 PM
    Launch day PRE owners became launch day EVO owners and have not had 1 regret. I was deep into PRE homebrew and preware patches. Best thing about EVO ... it did everying out the box I patched the PREs to do. I to was a long time Palm customer. Android is my preferred OS now and HTC makes rock solid hardware (unlike my oreo effect and headset jack sticking in headset mode PRE).
    12-03-2010 09:30 PM
    I've had my Evo for about three weeks now. It is the best phone that I have ever had. I had a Pre when they first came out and it doesn't even compare. The Evo is at least a generation better.
    12-03-2010 10:39 PM
    I just upgraded from a Palm Pre to an Evo this past Tuesday. Zero regrets and I recommend you to do the same!
    12-04-2010 02:11 AM
    zmann!
    Nice to read that a couple Pre enthusiast have made the switch. Does anyone know if the Evo can download MP3 from websites. For example, if i go on mediafire to download an MP3, can i do that or do i have to root it before i can do that?
    Yes, you can.. It'll save straight to your SD card.. You can also use apps like gTunes (free on Market) that act as a search engine/music downloader for you.. Simple, easy interface.

Neither method I listed above requires root. Though I recommend it after getting some famiiliarity with the phone.

Btw, congratulations on your decision. I've never had the pleasure of owning a Pre, though I used it for work many a time.. Great interface, sloppy hardware.. Ya know.. ..the usual ***** about it.. You wont regret your turn to the Evo.
    12-04-2010 03:09 AM
    zmann!
    Yup, can even download them .zip or .rar files and extract them. Do it all the time.
    12-04-2010 07:59 AM
    Yup, can even download them .zip or .rar files and extract them. Do it all the time.
    This is without rooting?
    12-04-2010 01:11 PM
    Well..I bumped the Pre down to 50 bucks...If anyone wants the Pre

Palm Pre (Sprint) - eBay (item 260702663412 end time Dec-10-10 12:56:28 PST)
    12-04-2010 02:33 PM
    I was resigned to keeping my Pre, and buying whatever they came out with later this year from HPalm. However, when they came out with the Pre2, and not even on Sprint I was positive HP was going to be giving loyal Palm fans the runaround. No way would they offer a super device so close to when the Pre2 came out. I hated the size of the Evo for a couple of days, and definitely missed webOS and multitasking, but like others have said, until HPalm makes a phone the quality of the Evo I'm staying here. Imagine the Evo running webOS! Now that would be exciting.
    12-04-2010 05:10 PM
    I just upgraded my Pre today and am working on getting used to the Evo. One thing I haven't been able to figure out that I really liked about the Pre is having my google talk and my sms messages from someone all in the same thread. Is there an android app that does that?

Ryan
    12-04-2010 11:38 PM
    I just upgraded my Pre today and am working on getting used to the Evo. One thing I haven't been able to figure out that I really liked about the Pre is having my google talk and my sms messages from someone all in the same thread. Is there an android app that does that?

Ryan
    i actually didnt like that lol. it was so annoying because i have to actually look to figure out how the person got in contact with me and sometimes the phone does it automatically too.
    12-05-2010 07:29 AM
    My wife and I got Pre's as our first smartphones. Love them to death (literally, one died) and thought nothing could be better... until we got our EVO's!

It took awhile to get used to but now I cannot imagine going non-Android for my phone. I also have an iPT 3G, with iOS 4, and I still prefer Android overall. Love the phone.
    12-05-2010 02:37 PM
    i just switched from webos as well. so far its all good. multi taksing def. not as good, but it will work. the apps alone make it worth it
    12-05-2010 09:29 PM
    The EVO is a great phone but i'm going to give you the non fanboy advice. I would not waste an upgrade on the EVO.. It is older technology and compared to the Epic on battery life it just plane sucks. If you are a heavy phone user then you will get the most of 4 hours out of you phone before it needs charging. The camera is garbage at best and you can hang video recording up. The phone lags a bunch and 4g is a joke because the battery will drain even quicker with it on and right now 4g isn't working properly as it will slow your phone down temendously until you reboot it.

I HP puts out a phone that has similar specs such as screen size I would jump ship immediately as Webos is far more superior than any other OS out there hands down!!!

This is coming from a guy that has rooted the phone and tried multiple Roms on it to improve its perforance and battery life. I also have viewed Gingerbread and don't see anything changed with the prehistoric OS UI and functunality.

Can't wait until HP brings out a product that is worthy of all the hipe.

This is also coming from a guy that likes the phone alot but it has too many flaws to place it as above average.
    Google and IOS really need to come with my intuitiveness. One gets bored with a phone that is filled with just icons of applications and no true multitasking.
    12-06-2010 02:03 AM
    The EVO is a great phone but i'm going to give you the non fanboy advice. I would not waste an upgrade on the EVO.. It is older technology and compared to the Epic on battery life it just plane sucks. If you are a heavy phone user then you will get the most of 4 hours out of you phone before it needs charging. The camera is garbage at best and you can hang video recording up. The phone lags a bunch and 4g is a joke because the battery will drain even quicker with it on and right now 4g isn't working properly as it will slow your phone down temendously until you reboot it.

I HP puts out a phone that has similar specs such as screen size I would jump ship immediately as Webos is far more superior than any other OS out there hands down!!!

This is coming from a guy that has rooted the phone and tried multiple Roms on it to improve its perforance and battery life. I also have viewed Gingerbread and don't see anything changed with the prehistoric OS UI and functunality.

Can't wait until HP brings out a product that is worthy of all the hipe.

This is also coming from a guy that likes the phone alot but it has too many flaws to place it as above average.
    Google and IOS really need to come with my intuitiveness. One gets bored with a phone that is filled with just icons of applications and no true multitasking.
    Thanks for the info
    12-06-2010 07:06 AM
140 1234 ...