Palm Pre Guy who wants to get an Evo but isnt too sure..Help needed.

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
So im trying to make the big move, but i cant seem to get myself to do it. Whats so much better about the EVO? Is it easy to root like Webos? Can i download MP3's via the browser. As in, can i go on a site and download the MP3 off the site like i can do on my Pre. Does andriod have "andware"? You know...Like Preware lol. Any input will be appreciated. Im planning on getting the Evo on the 24th because there might be deals that day. I was going to get the samsung 4g, but it looks kind of weird.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
do you want to drive a Pinto all of your life or do you want to drive a Ferrari?

now stop being silly and go get the EVO. the reasons are so obvious that i'm not going to waste my time explaining it to you.

good luck.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I still have my Pre and use it in wifi mode just to stay current on webOS, and the pebble form factor still feels good in the hand. Compared to the Evo, however, it's no contest: better build quality; bigger, higher-res screen; bigger selection of apps; ability to modify/root if you wish...where do I stop?

Preware was nice on the Pre, but truthfully, the biggest benefit I got out of it was to make my Pre do things it should have done out of the box, and that the Evo does.

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Im actually just bored of my Pre. I want something new to play with. Webos is the future though. I hope to go back to it later.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Im actually just bored of my Pre. I want something new to play with. Webos is the future though. I hope to go back to it later.

That's part of the reason I still play with my Pre; the OS is just awesome. The whole cards idea...brilliant!

Between the Evo and Epic? Tough choice. Read through the forums here and look at the problems people are having with both, then decide which problems you'll be most comfortable living with :) They're both great phones, though.

sveilien

Jun 18, 2010
www.punnyshirts.com

Good thing that your Pre still works well. I gave mine to my gf when I got my EVO and I feel bad for her cuz the damn thing just screws up all the time. Im getting her an EVO as soon as her renew date gets here.

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a must have. Not sure why anyone would leave the Pre.

Its a terrific phone but its just too slow. Im tired of overclocking it and its still slow. Im tired of google maps taking a lifetime to come on. I love webos though. I know i'll be back once they release a new phone. I'll be sad if they do release one during CES or announce one, but still, i know one day i'll be back to webos for good. But they just need time to get all their stuff together.

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Good thing that your Pre still works well. I gave mine to my gf when I got my EVO and I feel bad for her cuz the damn thing just screws up all the time. Im getting her an EVO as soon as her renew date gets here.

Mine is in top notch shape. i have a touchstone, otterbox hardcase. screen protector and a couple of extra batteries. Im planning on selling this once i get the Evo. I should be able to atleast get 200 - 150 for all that. I paid more for them though, but oh well.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I went from the Pre to the Evo, and am happy with that decision.. I do still love the WebOS, but I didn't like the build quality of the hardware.. my wife still has hers, and is still happy with it.. of course I "rooted" hers, and have PreWare on it as well..

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

WebOS is the future sure it is...keep telling yourself that...it looks more like they don't have a future. Yeah, yeah, blah, blah wait to CES WebOS is going to kill the competition. :rolleyes: Just get the phone you will be glad you did besides there's no good news coming from the WebOS world.

Last edited:

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Jason, How are you?

Check out the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android. It will take you through step-by-step.

Basically, imagine if Palm had taken the best couple hundred patches we had proven out and added them to webOS. That's Android. Google did listen. And the apps will take your breath away.

Also, here is the Getting Started With Android.

As to phones, anything with a moving part will fail. It's physics.

With the virtual keyboards like SwiftKey for the EVO, you will never want a physical keyboard again. SwiftKey is just so much faster than a physical keyboard because it predicts your words before you even start to type them. The EVO is a beast. You could kill someone with it at 20 feet...and wipe it off and check emails.

fgcchevy

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I also just switched from a pre to an Evo, and I must say, I dont regret it one bit! I guess I feel the same as most pre converts in saying the pre os is just awesome, but the hardware is not up to par. I had exchanged my pre 4 times since last september, and my headset jack started acting up, along with the speaker getting blown. If and when hp gets new hardware out, that is ul to par with the evo, I will gladly go back, til then I am enjoying my Evo and all its features and apps that android has to offer. That is just my 2 cents.

Sent from my EVO using tapatalk pro

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
+1

I also just switched from a pre to an Evo, and I must say, I dont regret it one bit! I guess I feel the same as most pre converts in saying the pre os is just awesome, but the hardware is not up to par. I had exchanged my pre 4 times since last september, and my headset jack started acting up, along with the speaker getting blown. If and when hp gets new hardware out, that is ul to par with the evo, I will gladly go back, til then I am enjoying my Evo and all its features and apps that android has to offer. That is just my 2 cents.

Sent from my EVO using tapatalk pro

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Trust me Op, you won't regret dropping the Pre for an Evo. I was in the same boat as you at first...I was a Palm loyalist and wanted to believe that my Pre was the absolute best on the market. It became time (after the news that Sprint wasn't carrying any new webOS devices and they in turn then pulled the Pre from their shelves) that I just ditch the Pre and get on a platform that's one, stable, two, widely supported and three, has killer hardware. I thought to myself that the phone might be a little too big (before getting it in my hands) and actually, after getting the phone, I don't think I could ever go any smaller. It was weird making that first call and holding a door to my face, but you know what? The screen real estate is just amazing. More screen to do and see more clearly with better touch-accuracy and just all-around general amazingness haha.

You won't regret it pal. Make the jump. :)

PapaNoHair#AC

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I loved the Pre operating system I held off leaving for months. Wish now I had not waited so long. The Evo is great! Come over and give it a try!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1