12-30-2010 11:36 AM
140 ... 23456
tools
    Im actually just bored of my Pre. I want something new to play with. Webos is the future though. I hope to go back to it later.
    I had a Pre, lost it, and got an Evo. Best thing that happened to me in a while. Having said that, I'm very much a webOS fanboy. I was just so saddened by the progress being made with the OS and hardware's total inability to provide the awesome experience the OS made possible. I'll probably go back as well once *real* hardware is released.
    12-07-2010 10:00 AM
    Pre users think WebOS is a lot better than it really is.
    most people who are users of anything think it's better than those who don't use it. that's a big part of why they use it.

i think that kd0axs summed it up pretty well in his post.

i am enjoying my time with the evo so far, but i do miss some things about webOS. it may not do as much, but what it does, it does well.

the things i miss about webOS most so far are:

being able to keep typing a message (or whatever else i was working on) when a phone call comes in and just let it ring to voicemail, as opposed to the entire screen being taken up by the call and having to either answer or decline. (i don't ever talk on the phone. maybe 2x a week, but that's really it. so to me, a phone call that insists on being the center of attention is basically taking away the functionality of my device for a few moments.)

having IM and texts in one thread.

multiple cards for conversation in messaging.

being able to keep videos playing while you do something else. i loved that if i was checking out some music on lp33 and i got a DM on twitter i could just answer it while the music still played.

being able to re-order notifications, and clear only the ones i didn't want to see anymore without messing with touching it and going to the app.

even with use of long-press home, and the back button, it's just not the same as going back to an app that was *exactly* as you left it, and apps continuing to run while they are minimized. the freezing things in android helps, but it's not the same.

named launcher pages and moving apps to wherever i want them. i know we have our homescreens littered with apps and widgets in android, but i miss the webOS launcher. folders in android help a little with keeping down the clutter, i just wish it would close after i open an app in it. and i wish i could make it look like something other than a folder icon. (if i can, please tell me how!)

the overall UI and webOS itself. i know this is broad, but it's just neat. it's nice to look at, the cards metaphor is brilliant to me, and it's just plain fun to use. it's like the OS itself is a toy. most other OS's are just a path to apps, or a way to get things done. with webOS it's actually cool and neat to interact with the OS.

i know two of the things i listed need patches, but i'm pretty sure most of us in this conversation are all rooted and homebrewed as well.

but when it comes to android, there is a HUGE advantage when it comes to the hardware. i know that isn't really about android, but it's the best thing the evo's got going for it, imho. minus the camera in most cases. the flash either washes people out, or it's blurry without the flash.

i really like the tapatalk app too, and the dolphin HD browser is terrific! there's probably a couple of other apps i use now and again that i wasn't able to have on webOS. oh, evernote is much better on android too. i also really like google earth on my phone, and the sky map is so cool. there are probably a couple of other apps i use that i just couldn't have on webOS, but i'm drawing a blank right now... edit: jefit! if you workout, you should really check this out! it's a great app for managing a training routine. like, a really great app. it's free, but after using it, i'd have paid close to ten bucks for it.

but then, those aren't really the OS either...

don't get me wrong, i'm loving my evo! it is far and away the most high end phone i've ever owned, and i am going to keep loving it for the next year, and maybe longer if nothing sweet with webOS catches my fancy.
    piaband likes this.
    12-07-2010 10:30 AM
    Pre users think WebOS is a lot better than it really is.
    I agree the cards a great way to do multitasking but what else is truly unique about WebOS? Gestures? They're nice but android has a back button too.
    12-07-2010 10:44 AM
    most people who are users of anything think it's better than those who don't use it. that's a big part of why they use it.

i think that kd0axs summed it up pretty well in his post.

i am enjoying my time with the evo so far, but i do miss some things about webOS. it may not do as much, but what it does, it does well.

the things i miss about webOS most so far are:

being able to keep typing a message (or whatever else i was working on) when a phone call comes in and just let it ring to voicemail, as opposed to the entire screen being taken up by the call and having to either answer or decline. (i don't ever talk on the phone. maybe 2x a week, but that's really it. so to me, a phone call that insists on being the center of attention is basically taking away the functionality of my device for a few moments.)

having IM and texts in one thread.

multiple cards for conversation in messaging.

being able to keep videos playing while you do something else. i loved that if i was checking out some music on lp33 and i got a DM on twitter i could just answer it while the music still played.

being able to re-order notifications, and clear only the ones i didn't want to see anymore without messing with touching it and going to the app.

even with use of long-press home, and the back button, it's just not the same as going back to an app that was *exactly* as you left it, and apps continuing to run while they are minimized. the freezing things in android helps, but it's not the same.

named launcher pages and moving apps to wherever i want them. i know we have our homescreens littered with apps and widgets in android, but i miss the webOS launcher. folders in android help a little with keeping down the clutter, i just wish it would close after i open an app in it. and i wish i could make it look like something other than a folder icon. (if i can, please tell me how!)

the overall UI and webOS itself. i know this is broad, but it's just neat. it's nice to look at, the cards metaphor is brilliant to me, and it's just plain fun to use. it's like the OS itself is a toy. most other OS's are just a path to apps, or a way to get things done. with webOS it's actually cool and neat to interact with the OS.

i know two of the things i listed need patches, but i'm pretty sure most of us in this conversation are all rooted and homebrewed as well.

but when it comes to android, there is a HUGE advantage when it comes to the hardware. i know that isn't really about android, but it's the best thing the evo's got going for it, imho. minus the camera in most cases. the flash either washes people out, or it's blurry without the flash.

i really like the tapatalk app too, and the dolphin HD browser is terrific! there's probably a couple of other apps i use now and again that i wasn't able to have on webOS. oh, evernote is much better on android too. i also really like google earth on my phone, and the sky map is so cool. there are probably a couple of other apps i use that i just couldn't have on webOS, but i'm drawing a blank right now... edit: jefit! if you workout, you should really check this out! it's a great app for managing a training routine. like, a really great app. it's free, but after using it, i'd have paid close to ten bucks for it.

but then, those aren't really the OS either...

don't get me wrong, i'm loving my evo! it is far and away the most high end phone i've ever owned, and i am going to keep loving it for the next year, and maybe longer if nothing sweet with webOS catches my fancy.
    Thank you so much for the details. This was exactly what I was looking for as a Pre owner considering a move to Android. I know there will be things I miss from WebOS but I'm just tired of my Pre (original day-1 owner) . I'm giving Palm until CES, if nothing is announced on Sprint, I'm gonna have a tough decision between the Epic and Evo and whatever else is released by then.
    12-07-2010 10:58 AM
    I agree the cards a great way to do multitasking but what else is truly unique about WebOS? Gestures? They're nice but android has a back button too.
    lol there's a couple more gestures than back. my favorite was full swipe to switch apps, or "fast app switching."

i know... i'm a fanboy.

edit: i love how we're allowed to say "fanboy" on here. it gets edited on PC.
    12-07-2010 11:00 AM
    Touchstone charger (not webOS, but I will miss it). I know you can hack it to work on EVO but I wont be doing that with a $500 phone.

Preware...If you havent used it, you have no idea. An on-device jailbreak tool that is also update-friendly (you can update the OS without removing any jailbreak). I would really miss this a lot.

Gestures is more than a back button, it is a forward button, and can be assigned different functions in apps...My twitter app updates my timeline with a forward swipe. It just works nice..I've used androids and the back button just isnt the same. Maybe I'm just not use to it?

Cards multitasking like you stated. This cant be said enough. It is such a huge advancement over other platforms. It IS the os. It is everything webOS does and everything other OS's cant do. There is no substitute. It is the only thing that has kept me from leaving my Palm device to this point.

Free mobile-hotspot. Its just easier to hack onto a Palm phone.

Custom Kernel development. I'm running my Pre at 1 gHz. thats double what it came out as. This type of development isnt easily available on android. ROMs are difficult and cant be loaded from the device.

webOS doctor. To my knowledge, there isnt another platform that provides software for a factory reset of the OS by the user. Am I wrong?
    12-07-2010 11:06 AM
    I am and will always be a webos advocate. With that said - I really want to know more about android phones. I've receive my EVO a few minutes ago, and I usually complain about the screen size and stuff. I'm actually liking the 4.3" screen. A lot bigger than what I'm use too, but I'm getting use to it.
    12-07-2010 11:16 AM
    I love the 4.3" screen. I dont have one, but I went and held it..IT felt great in my hand, up to my ear, and even in my pocket (make sure you let them know you're testing it before you do this)..

The EVO is very nice.
    12-07-2010 11:19 AM
    Thank you so much for the details. This was exactly what I was looking for as a Pre owner considering a move to Android. I know there will be things I miss from WebOS but I'm just tired of my Pre (original day-1 owner) . I'm giving Palm until CES, if nothing is announced on Sprint, I'm gonna have a tough decision between the Epic and Evo and whatever else is released by then.
    you're welcome. i'm sure that even if you were as in love with webOS as i am, you'll really enjoy the evo. it's just a cool phone. i was waiting for CES too, but then my last pre had the issue where i'd have to push in on the usb plug after unplugging it to get the screen to work... how the hell does that happen anyway?? lol

but yeah, i was waiting, and then i just figured even if something cool comes at CES it'd be a few months before we saw it on the street. i had my upgrade burning a hole in my pocket, and figured i'd check out some badassery on the adroid side for a while. i figure is something comes out this spring with webOS that i want bad enough i'll either add a line, or just pay cash since i'll have more money in the spring.

if nothing at CES catches your eye, grab and evo. it may be 9 mos old by then, but it's nice enough that unless you need to have this months "it" device, the evo should be still top notch for about a year from now, imo.
    12-07-2010 11:28 AM
    I am and will always be a webos advocate. With that said - I really want to know more about android phones. I've receive my EVO a few minutes ago, and I usually complain about the screen size and stuff. I'm actually liking the 4.3" screen. A lot bigger than what I'm use too, but I'm getting use to it.
    you'll get used to it very quickly, and want to start sending letter to HP to make damn sure they put webOS on a 4.3 screen. small enough to carry, but big enough to... well, to just be rad.
    12-07-2010 11:30 AM
    Welcome to Android Central.
    12-07-2010 11:37 AM
    Welcome to Android Central.
    You know forums are open for all to read - whether you're a member or not.
    12-07-2010 12:10 PM
    You know forums are open for all to read - whether you're a member or not.
    Not sure where you're going with this, but yes, I know that.
    12-07-2010 12:15 PM
    not sure where you're going with this, but yes, i know that.
    garrett!....im applaud!...you've joined the dark side!
    12-07-2010 12:37 PM
    lol it's like an old webOS user party in here. i'll bet it was almost completely a hardware issue for about 90% of us that switched.

whatever the reason, it happened, and i'm happy to be on the evo wagon for a while.
    12-07-2010 01:53 PM
    Did I miss anything:-)

sent from my Evo 4g using tapatalk pro
    Not really.. Just love spreading all over for A|C.
    12-07-2010 02:09 PM
    garrett!....im applaud!...you've joined the dark side!
    I still have my Pre haha. I just like learning about other platforms. When I do get a new phone, I'm almost positive it'll be an Android phone.
    12-07-2010 02:26 PM
    I'm enjoying my evo a lot better now. I should have switch phones a long time ago.
    12-07-2010 03:38 PM
    Touchstone charger (not webOS, but I will miss it). I know you can hack it to work on EVO but I wont be doing that with a $500 phone.
    I agree the Touchstone is nice and a power mat isn't even close to offering the same level of ease. Hopefully this will be ported over someday to all phones as a stock option so we don't need to mess with different types of cables to charge. That's the world I want to live in.
    Preware...If you havent used it, you have no idea. An on-device jailbreak tool that is also update-friendly (you can update the OS without removing any jailbreak). I would really miss this a lot.
    Preware is really nice and with Androids hardware being so vastly different its a bit harder to pull off but I'm sure it could be accomplished on Android, just not as easily.
    Gestures is more than a back button, it is a forward button, and can be assigned different functions in apps...My twitter app updates my timeline with a forward swipe. It just works nice..I've used androids and the back button just isnt the same. Maybe I'm just not use to it?
    I think this is more personal preference. The gestures are nice but in the end its a lot of redundant controls. Generally on Android when you hit back you can always click on whatever took you there. I mean really how many times does anyone used the forward button?
    Cards multitasking like you stated. This cant be said enough. It is such a huge advancement over other platforms. It IS the os. It is everything webOS does and everything other OS's cant do. There is no substitute. It is the only thing that has kept me from leaving my Palm device to this point.
    The cards are the best multitasking you can find on any mobile phone but if that's what the whole OS is standing on to sell its just not enough these days.
    Free mobile-hotspot. Its just easier to hack onto a Palm phone.
    The carriers supporting free tethering is awesome but with apps like Tether for $25 I can have tethering on Android and if you go one step further to root the phone its exactly the same experience on the Pre.
    Custom Kernel development. I'm running my Pre at 1 gHz. thats double what it came out as. This type of development isnt easily available on android. ROMs are difficult and cant be loaded from the device.
    Android may have the largest Custom Kernel Support of any platform its just not as easy to install them as on the Pre. However for the hassle Android roms offer a greater range of customization. And for overclocking the EVO can be too, it just runs 1Ghz.....stock.
    webOS doctor. To my knowledge, there isnt another platform that provides software for a factory reset of the OS by the user. Am I wrong?
    There isn't and I agree with you this is lacking from Android.
    12-07-2010 07:54 PM
    Oh yeah..I forgot to post here. But I got my evo 3 days ago. I could wait till the 24th lol. This phone makes me realize that I Didnt need a palm pre. Gezzz I love this phone.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    12-11-2010 08:28 AM
    What up buddy? I agree with you.the more familiar you get with the evo and the os,the more you will love it.

Sent using taptalk.
    12-11-2010 08:45 AM
    Its a terrific phone but its just too slow. Im tired of overclocking it and its still slow. Im tired of google maps taking a lifetime to come on. I love webos though. I know i'll be back once they release a new phone. I'll be sad if they do release one during CES or announce one, but still, i know one day i'll be back to webos for good. But they just need time to get all their stuff together.
    no you won't.
    12-11-2010 09:00 AM
    What up buddy? I agree with you.the more familiar you get with the evo and the os,the more you will love it.

Sent using taptalk.
    Yeah..I don't have to worry about things breaking before I wake up anymore...hopefully. and who can tell me more about these "Roms"? What do they do? I'll appreciate it if you can elaborate a little bit

12-11-2010 10:23 AM
    A rom, is read only memory. It's the os. So, when people are talking about flashing roms that's what they mean.

So like, how we picked what patches we liked on webOS and installed them, on android people pick a rom that has the "patches" they want, and flash that.

At least that's what I get out of it. I'm an android n00b, so I could be off. Trying to learn though. :-)

12-11-2010 02:47 PM
    I don't miss my pre. Tap & hold the home key on the EVO, there's your multi-tasking for Android. It's not as nice as it is on the Pre but it works.
    12-12-2010 07:29 PM
140 ... 23456