Palm Pre Guy who wants to get an Evo but isnt too sure..Help needed.

Radman96

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Oh hey!
I didnt know you were here too :). You're right though, thats why i was reluctant to consider the Epic because it has a moving part. The Pre totally ruined my mind about phones with moving parts. But, the BB Torch does it will though, not like im even going to get a BB phone, but the slider is SOLID!
Well, the census wins. I will be getting an Evo on the 24th. Hopefully i get some great deals on it! Im going to buy it BestBuy, so i dont have to wait a lifetime for Sprint to send me my $100 rebate. I'll check out the links you posted. You've being very helpful once again :).

For everyone else. Thanks for everything. But, trust me, Webos will make a big comeback in 2011. I can bet on that. Hopefully, ebay can help me be part of that comeback because i wont be signing another contract until 2014.
Just a quick note to you... Radio Shack online is selling it for $99.99 no mail in rebate. I just bought it today...

Radman96

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Oh by the way... I am leaving my Palm Pre also... I have been using palm devices since the late 90's and it was very hard to make the decision but now I can not wait to get it.

PapaNoHair#AC

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Similar story with me but I have not looked back. I love the Evo. I do miss the gestures and the true multi-tasking but assume the Evo will get them at some point. I love the Evo so much I have no intention of switching back to the Pre. When the new one comes out (if it does) I will sit back and look very hard at the hardware and what it has software-wise before even thinking about switching back.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
All I got to say is this is absolutely the best phone I've had so far and I hope htc and Sprint does and encore. Since going on my Xmas vacation from Honolulu to NYC I've ran in to lots of Evo owners starting with the guy sitting next to me on the plane to some sitting next me on a bus...they are everywhere in the big Apple. I owned a Pre for a year and dumped it for the Evo on launch day and still to this day I personally haven't seen one Pre in the wild.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
All I got to say is this is absolutely the best phone I've had so far and I hope htc and Sprint does and encore. Since going on my Xmas vacation from Honolulu to NYC I've ran in to lots of Evo owners starting with the guy sitting next to me on the plane to some sitting next me on a bus...they are everywhere in the big Apple. I owned a Pre for a year and dumped it for the Evo on launch day and still to this day I personally haven't seen one Pre in the wild.
You are so right... I felt so isolated when I did owned my pre. When someone usually ask me - What phone is that? I would reply Palm Pre, and their respond would be "what"... Now, with my EVO _ I don't have to say anything. People know the EVO. :):)

Dark_Blu

Nov 16, 2010
www.reverbnation.com
Dude,

I got my Palm Pre Plus in March of this year. I was a Palm Pre guy. Then HP bought Palm and inaction set in. Palm Execs bolted, developers bailed, and I starte looking at how Android and other OS's were progressing while Palm was stagnating. There is nothing to hang around Palm for bro. Bail. I left AT&T and went to Sprint to get the EVO 4G and haven't looked back since. The EVO 4G kills the Palm Pre in every category, not the least of which is the fact that I have a bigger screen, higher end hardware, hdmi out, and Froyo, which gives me Flash. Gingerbread is around the corner. If your upgrade time is now, bail. Oh, by the way, did you know that the majority of developers for the Palm platform are teenagers? Yea. That accounts for the quality of apps versus the other platforms. Seriously bro, even Windows Phone 7 has more apps now (4,000). There is no point. Bail to the Evo 4G. You won't be unhappy. :cool:

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm bailing, only had my Pre since July, but I'm already disgusted with it. Ordered an Evo from RadioShack last night, I paid extra for 2 day shipping, but because of the holiday, it won't actually ship, until tomorrow.

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm bailing, only had my Pre since July, but I'm already disgusted with it. Ordered an Evo from RadioShack last night, I paid extra for 2 day shipping, but because of the holiday, it won't actually ship, until tomorrow.

Yup. That's pretty much the story these day. Verwon, you'll love the evo.

Sent From Tapatalk.

DSPKweb

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Greetings all you post Pre users...I also took advantage of the Radio Shack deal, will be getting my Evo in the next few days. I had the Pre from Day 1 and loved WebOS, just the hardware sucked. Will definitely need to get used to the new system, but I think the transition shouldn't be too bad. After reading many of these posts, I can't wait for it to get here.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Greetings all you post Pre users...I also took advantage of the Radio Shack deal, will be getting my Evo in the next few days. I had the Pre from Day 1 and loved WebOS, just the hardware sucked. Will definitely need to get used to the new system, but I think the transition shouldn't be too bad. After reading many of these posts, I can't wait for it to get here.
Just like any other transitions - it will take a little getting use too. In the meantime you can read up on some of the functionality of the phone.

Read This.

swillmon

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Me Too!

I also took advantage of the Radio Shack promotion. Traded in an old Palm Treo and got the Evo yesterday. Still not sure about giving up my Pre. I did like it and had not had any trouble with the hardware, but the $99 Evo was too hard to pass up. I'm going to call it an early birthday present.

Happy New Year to everyone.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Whoa whoa whoa - EVO for $99? At Radio Shack? I just got mine from them about 2 weeks ago when they had it for $150. Maybe I can go get $50 back?

And what are the catches? Online only? In store only? Gotta promise to give the sales guy an extra $10?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Congrats ...good choice with the Evo. Welcome to AC.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Whoa whoa whoa - EVO for $99? At Radio Shack? I just got mine from them about 2 weeks ago when they had it for $150. Maybe I can go get $50 back?

And what are the catches? Online only? In store only? Gotta promise to give the sales guy an extra $10?

They had a promotion to trade in your old working phone and sign up for a two year contract to get an Evo for $99.

jjeffcoat

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
lol it's like an old webOS user party in here. i'll bet it was almost completely a hardware issue for about 90% of us that switched.

For me it's the fact that Epocrates is dumping webOS that's likely to cause me to switch. Tired of not having the apps I need.

Gonna wait until after CES and see what's coming down the pike, but right now it's between the Epic and EVO, leaning a bit toward the Epic right now.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
For me it's the fact that Epocrates is dumping webOS that's likely to cause me to switch. Tired of not having the apps I need.

Gonna wait until after CES and see what's coming down the pike, but right now it's between the Epic and EVO, leaning a bit toward the Epic right now.

The EVO is HTC's flagship under Sprint - it was also their flagship for a long time on any carrier. I don't expect them to stop supporting the EVO any time soon, as it made waves in almost every tech circle.

On the other hand, Samsung has shown its reluctance to upgrade any of their Galaxy S phones on any carrier - doesn't that scare you a little bit? Get the Epic, and I will probably *officially* have Gingerbread on my EVO before you get Froyo. That shows me that Samsung is dragging their feet for some reason. Too many devices? Too much disparity among the same phone on different carriers? Maybe they just wanna focus on their tablets? Who knows, but I'm certainly happy that I have the EVO.

Additionally, the physical keyboard is one of the only reasons that I see to consider the Epic over the EVO, but they are both so fast and software keyboards are SO GOOD that I highly doubt you will still be using the keyboard on the Epic after a while. Eventually for me, that keyboard would become nothing more than the frustrating reason my phone feels so thick.