12-30-2010 11:36 AM
140 123 ...
tools
    So im trying to make the big move, but i cant seem to get myself to do it. Whats so much better about the EVO? Is it easy to root like Webos? Can i download MP3's via the browser. As in, can i go on a site and download the MP3 off the site like i can do on my Pre. Does andriod have "andware"? You know...Like Preware lol. Any input will be appreciated. Im planning on getting the Evo on the 24th because there might be deals that day. I was going to get the samsung 4g, but it looks kind of weird.
    12-02-2010 09:00 PM
    do you want to drive a Pinto all of your life or do you want to drive a Ferrari?

now stop being silly and go get the EVO. the reasons are so obvious that i'm not going to waste my time explaining it to you.

good luck.
    12-02-2010 09:14 PM
    I still have my Pre and use it in wifi mode just to stay current on webOS, and the pebble form factor still feels good in the hand. Compared to the Evo, however, it's no contest: better build quality; bigger, higher-res screen; bigger selection of apps; ability to modify/root if you wish...where do I stop?

Preware was nice on the Pre, but truthfully, the biggest benefit I got out of it was to make my Pre do things it should have done out of the box, and that the Evo does.
    12-02-2010 09:24 PM
    Ok. Evo and Epic 4G, which is better?
    The Evo has a higher quality camera....HTC builds better phones...
    12-02-2010 09:27 PM
    What is preware?
    12-02-2010 09:30 PM
    What is preware?
    Preware is an app for Palm Pre webos phones.
    12-02-2010 09:31 PM
    Im actually just bored of my Pre. I want something new to play with. Webos is the future though. I hope to go back to it later.
    12-02-2010 09:31 PM
    Im actually just bored of my Pre. I want something new to play with. Webos is the future though. I hope to go back to it later.
    That's part of the reason I still play with my Pre; the OS is just awesome. The whole cards idea...brilliant!

Between the Evo and Epic? Tough choice. Read through the forums here and look at the problems people are having with both, then decide which problems you'll be most comfortable living with They're both great phones, though.
    12-02-2010 09:36 PM
    Preware is an app for Palm Pre webos phones.
    Sounds like a must have. Not sure why anyone would leave the Pre.
    12-02-2010 09:51 PM
    Good thing that your Pre still works well. I gave mine to my gf when I got my EVO and I feel bad for her cuz the damn thing just screws up all the time. Im getting her an EVO as soon as her renew date gets here.
    12-02-2010 10:10 PM
    Sounds like a must have. Not sure why anyone would leave the Pre.
    Its a terrific phone but its just too slow. Im tired of overclocking it and its still slow. Im tired of google maps taking a lifetime to come on. I love webos though. I know i'll be back once they release a new phone. I'll be sad if they do release one during CES or announce one, but still, i know one day i'll be back to webos for good. But they just need time to get all their stuff together.
    12-02-2010 10:14 PM
    Good thing that your Pre still works well. I gave mine to my gf when I got my EVO and I feel bad for her cuz the damn thing just screws up all the time. Im getting her an EVO as soon as her renew date gets here.
    Mine is in top notch shape. i have a touchstone, otterbox hardcase. screen protector and a couple of extra batteries. Im planning on selling this once i get the Evo. I should be able to atleast get 200 - 150 for all that. I paid more for them though, but oh well.
    12-02-2010 10:16 PM
    I went from the Pre to the Evo, and am happy with that decision.. I do still love the WebOS, but I didn't like the build quality of the hardware.. my wife still has hers, and is still happy with it.. of course I "rooted" hers, and have PreWare on it as well..
    12-02-2010 10:16 PM
    WebOS is the future sure it is...keep telling yourself that...it looks more like they don't have a future. Yeah, yeah, blah, blah wait to CES WebOS is going to kill the competition. :rolleyes: Just get the phone you will be glad you did besides there's no good news coming from the WebOS world.
    12-02-2010 11:03 PM
    Jason, How are you?

Check out the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android. It will take you through step-by-step.

Basically, imagine if Palm had taken the best couple hundred patches we had proven out and added them to webOS. That's Android. Google did listen. And the apps will take your breath away.

Also, here is the Getting Started With Android.

As to phones, anything with a moving part will fail. It's physics.

With the virtual keyboards like SwiftKey for the EVO, you will never want a physical keyboard again. SwiftKey is just so much faster than a physical keyboard because it predicts your words before you even start to type them. The EVO is a beast. You could kill someone with it at 20 feet...and wipe it off and check emails.
    12-02-2010 11:28 PM
    I also just switched from a pre to an Evo, and I must say, I dont regret it one bit! I guess I feel the same as most pre converts in saying the pre os is just awesome, but the hardware is not up to par. I had exchanged my pre 4 times since last september, and my headset jack started acting up, along with the speaker getting blown. If and when hp gets new hardware out, that is ul to par with the evo, I will gladly go back, til then I am enjoying my Evo and all its features and apps that android has to offer. That is just my 2 cents.

Sent from my EVO using tapatalk pro
    12-02-2010 11:44 PM
    +1

I also just switched from a pre to an Evo, and I must say, I dont regret it one bit! I guess I feel the same as most pre converts in saying the pre os is just awesome, but the hardware is not up to par. I had exchanged my pre 4 times since last september, and my headset jack started acting up, along with the speaker getting blown. If and when hp gets new hardware out, that is ul to par with the evo, I will gladly go back, til then I am enjoying my Evo and all its features and apps that android has to offer. That is just my 2 cents.

Sent from my EVO using tapatalk pro

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    12-03-2010 12:42 AM
    Trust me Op, you won't regret dropping the Pre for an Evo. I was in the same boat as you at first...I was a Palm loyalist and wanted to believe that my Pre was the absolute best on the market. It became time (after the news that Sprint wasn't carrying any new webOS devices and they in turn then pulled the Pre from their shelves) that I just ditch the Pre and get on a platform that's one, stable, two, widely supported and three, has killer hardware. I thought to myself that the phone might be a little too big (before getting it in my hands) and actually, after getting the phone, I don't think I could ever go any smaller. It was weird making that first call and holding a door to my face, but you know what? The screen real estate is just amazing. More screen to do and see more clearly with better touch-accuracy and just all-around general amazingness haha.

You won't regret it pal. Make the jump.
    12-03-2010 12:51 AM
    I loved the Pre operating system I held off leaving for months. Wish now I had not waited so long. The Evo is great! Come over and give it a try!
    12-03-2010 05:05 AM
    do a search. there are at least two EVO vs. Epic threads in this forum.
    12-03-2010 05:35 AM
    Jason, How are you?

Check out the Palm webOS Homebrewer's Guide to Android. It will take you through step-by-step.

Basically, imagine if Palm had taken the best couple hundred patches we had proven out and added them to webOS. That's Android. Google did listen. And the apps will take your breath away.

Also, here is the Getting Started With Android.

As to phones, anything with a moving part will fail. It's physics.

With the virtual keyboards like SwiftKey for the EVO, you will never want a physical keyboard again. SwiftKey is just so much faster than a physical keyboard because it predicts your words before you even start to type them. The EVO is a beast. You could kill someone with it at 20 feet...and wipe it off and check emails.
    Oh hey!
    I didnt know you were here too . You're right though, thats why i was reluctant to consider the Epic because it has a moving part. The Pre totally ruined my mind about phones with moving parts. But, the BB Torch does it will though, not like im even going to get a BB phone, but the slider is SOLID!
    Well, the census wins. I will be getting an Evo on the 24th. Hopefully i get some great deals on it! Im going to buy it BestBuy, so i dont have to wait a lifetime for Sprint to send me my $100 rebate. I'll check out the links you posted. You've being very helpful once again .

For everyone else. Thanks for everything. But, trust me, Webos will make a big comeback in 2011. I can bet on that. Hopefully, ebay can help me be part of that comeback because i wont be signing another contract until 2014.
    12-03-2010 06:43 AM
    I just made the switch to an Evo from a Pre literally less than 48 hours ago and not one ounce of regret so far, this is an amazing phone. And for what it's worth as much as I loved Preware and patching and modifying my Pre, so far it seems completely redundant on this phone... it does just about everything I could want right out of the box.

Edit: I didn't see your other post before I made mine. But for what it's worth if you are eligable for an upgrade why wait. Best Buy has a 30 day price matching policy. Basically if you find it for less at another store in your area they will refund you the price difference. I'm pretty sure that also applies to them dropping their price, but you'll have to ask for the refund, it's not automatic.
    12-03-2010 06:58 AM
    I left my previously beloved Pre for my now beloved Evo back in August. I've never even thought to look back. The Evo satisfied my desire to own a solid feeling phone. I don't worry over the sloppy sliding mechanism anymore and have adjusted to a software keyboard easily by using Smart Keyboard Pro and finally Ultra Keyboard. I don't miss the cards since I can just "long press" the home key on my Evo and switch to my recently used apps. I have found apps for nearly all of my needs in the Android Market. After rooting my Evo (which I feel is easy for someone with some degree of tech comfort, some patience, and some attention to detail) I now have an Evo capable of doing nearly everything I could wish for. The only think I miss is not having true "Roam Only" capability, which I could do with my Pre but I haven't found that I can do with my Evo.
    12-03-2010 07:12 AM
    All I can say is, owned the Pre(compeletey rooted) and probably like u thought it was a pretty decent smartphone (and it was). I've owned the EVO since launch date and all I can is was U go EVO you'll never go back to a "regular" smartphone
    12-03-2010 07:24 AM
    The only think I miss is not having true "Roam Only" capability, which I could do with my Pre but I haven't found that I can do with my Evo.
    Look in the market for "Roam Control". It does require root but it works great.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk
    12-03-2010 08:15 AM
140 123 ...