EVO/Sprint equivalent Baltimore

72guy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have an EVO and love it. I'm a long time Sprint customer and have no major complaints. My son graduates from Med school in the Spring and I'd like to get him a smartphone and pick up the service fees for a year or two.

After my EVO and experience with HTC products, I would prefer to stay with their phones. My limited experience with Sprint back East makes me wonder if there are better service providers than Sprint for that area of the country. What phone and service provider would you recommend for the Baltimore area and the East coast in general? Thanks for your recommendations.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
IMO get him a Sprint EVO. as you know the phone is awesome, coverage is great, pricing/value is the best, and he will be able to call you under mobile to mobile minutes for free anytime and vice versa. also - you'll be able to share EVO apps and knowledge and have one more thing as father and son to connect with.

good luck!

72guy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Gekko,
Thanks for your opinion and quick reply. Doing some research, it looks like Baltimore has 4G, so Sprint must have a fairly strong foothold in that area.

My son is in the process of interviewing, throughout the country, for residency programs. MD, CT, WA, MN, LA, GA, NY, VT, OH, etc. Seems like I recall, if you buy a phone and sign up for service. Then find out the service doesn't work or is inadequate. You can get out of your contract? Any thoughts on this? I also just started researching the HTC Droid Incredible. Feel like doing a quick comparison with the EVO?
Regards

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The real question is (and yes it's asked all the time but is worth mentioning here) is that by spring (assuming you mean may/june) the evo will be close to being replaced as sprints top phone. The knight or speed or whatever its called will probably be out. If you were asking about getting a phone today on sprint i'd say go for it, but it's too hard to say what's gonna be out next spring.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

72guy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
dad,
My wife and I were just discussing that. I got my EVO week one and I was telling her that the new models would be out before too long. Point being, he's needing something now. He's got alot going on over the next few months and I don't think he has the luxury to wait for the latest and greatest. I'll have to save that for me. ;-)

Looking at HTC's site. I couldn't get their phone comparo to work. But just looking at the various phones and their specs. The incredible has a smaller screen and only one camera. Video chat would be nice over qik or Yahoo. Hopefully Skype or Google will offer it soon. My experience with EVO, screen size, and cameras lead me to a repeat purchase. Thanks for your input.

capnhowdy18

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Sprint Coverage in Baltimore is fine from what I've seen. I live up in Philadelphia. I don't really have any problems with sprint on the east coast unless I'm in the boonies. Usually even then I'm on roaming, and with unlimited roaming, thats not really that bad.

Marty1781

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I currently live in the DC metro area and attend school in Baltimore (lived there as well for 6 years) so I'm constantly commuting between both cities. Sprint coverage is awesome in the DC-Baltimore area, your son has nothing to worry about as far as coverage goes both in the city and in the surrounding suburbs. Verizon, which is anchored on the East coast, also has great East coast coverage in general so I would go with a HTC phone from either them or Sprint.

Last edited:

72guy

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a bunch for the info on Sprint coverage back East. Great phone and great coverage. You folks removed all the guess work. Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

Regards

Edit:
Marty,
My sons apartment has marginal wifi at best. I was wondering if you have used PDAnet to tether a laptop and if so, was the performance adequate? I'm not real excited about adding the hotspot service through Sprint.

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Sprint and Verizon share towers for roaming, so coverage will be fine.

Get him an evo, especially with the 4g being available, he will be loving life Haha.

Marty1781

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Marty,
My sons apartment has marginal wifi at best. I was wondering if you have used PDAnet to tether a laptop and if so, was the performance adequate? I'm not real excited about adding the hotspot service through Sprint.

Performance was pretty good. Obviously, when the network gets congested during the day with everyone on it, speeds do slow down (still usable though) but things always pick back up later in the evening.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power