EVO from 8530, need advice

Should I get an HTC EVO?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eddiethking

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I have been a blackberry user for the last 2 years. I had the Pearl, the Storm, Storm2 and now the 8530. My first three blackberries were with Verizon, I am currently on Metro PCS.

Besides being tired of having this sub-par blackberry, my reception is terrible in my apartment. For the most part, it works well everywhere else, however I do not get any calls in my apartment, and texting is sub-par. I will be living in this apartment for another 8 months or so, should I suck it up or jump ship to the EVO and Sprint?

I am wondering if you guys have any advice to: A) Find out if Spring will work in my apartment and; B) If jumping to the EVO is a good choice.

Thank you in advance, all of your help is appreciated.:D

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I think one of the best things you could do is sign up for service with an Evo 4G, you have 30 days to return it. So if you bring it home and it doesn't work in your apartment then you can bring it back. You can do all this before bringing your existing phone number over.

As far as the message capabilities of the Evo - it works best with gmail - for true push functionality without an exchange server / imap server. It is a big adjustment coming from BB so if you get in to this I'd give yourself some time to get used to the curve.

Just an aside, my entire family uses BBs but loves to play with my Evo at family gatherings, I think everyone one of them will probably switch to android when their contracts allow it.

Reactions: Eddiethking

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
come on. do you want to drive a Pinto all of your life or do you want to drive a Ferrari?

now stop being silly and go get the EVO. the reasons are so obvious that i'm not going to waste my time explaining it to you.

good luck.

Eddiethking

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I think one of the best things you could do is sign up for service with an Evo 4G, you have 30 days to return it. So if you bring it home and it doesn't work in your apartment then you can bring it back. You can do all this before bringing your existing phone number over.

As far as the message capabilities of the Evo - it works best with gmail - for true push functionality without an exchange server / imap server. It is a big adjustment coming from BB so if you get in to this I'd give yourself some time to get used to the curve.

Just an aside, my entire family uses BBs but loves to play with my Evo at family gatherings, I think everyone one of them will probably switch to android when their contracts allow it.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I should also add that I am a big google user. I use gmail, google calander, google reader and a few of their other products.

fonefanatic

May 2, 2010
Visit site
If you are a big google user then it definetly is a no brainer.As the other post says you can get an Evo on Sprint for 30 days before deciding to port your number over or cancel. I did exactly this (prior to the Evo) to try Sprints service and thought the coverage was just about as good as the evil V (LOL). You can also check Sprint coverage map at their website. Go for it I think you will be satisfied:D

Eddiethking

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
If you are a big google user then it definetly is a no brainer.As the other post says you can get an Evo on Sprint for 30 days before deciding to port your number over or cancel. I did exactly this (prior to the Evo) to try Sprints service and thought the coverage was just about as good as the evil V (LOL). You can also check Sprint coverage map at their website. Go for it I think you will be satisfied:D

Good advice, yeah I think I am going to make the leap, not only to Sprint, but to Droid as well.

Can anyone explain what I will be seeing from an EVO in terms of email? I use gmail on my BB right now. What will the difference be?

I spent the last three years beefing up my knowledge on BB, I don't know very much about droid yet.

Caleb Morris

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I have an EVO now. I've had it for several months now, after I switched over from a BB Storm. It was a huge leap from slow to fast and BB to Android. Android has many ups, but also has a few downs. First, if you liked putting themes on your BB like I did to change the look every once in a while, then Android is not the OS for you. I have looked on here and everywhere, and you have to go through a whole bunch of steps and processes to root your phone, and then go through a whole bunch of steps and processes to put themes on your phone. BUT if you like having OS updates on a regular basis, then Android is right for you when BB has a very irregular OS update pace and when it does update, most phones will not get it like Blackberry 6. If you like Apps then Android is right for you with the ever expanding App Market. Android is great and amazing and cool and fast, BUT BB has it beat in certain categories such as themes and customization. BB customization is very simple and easy with downloading and then applying the theme through options, where Android has to go through root and then applying through the root command prompt. But other than that pit-fall, Android has BB beat in every other category.

tx_dbs_tx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Theming the EVO is not as difficult as previous poster makes it out to be. The truth is that Android OS as much more customizable than bb OS, all day, everyday.

Now I used to be a bb user for a few years and I still like bb OS but its far too limited compared to Android. My advice is to find the nearest trash bin for your current blackberry and head over to bestbuy or radio shack and pick up a new HTC EVO. The web browsing on the EVO is FAAAAAAAAR superior to any blackberry device. With full Adobe flash and 1ghz, this EVO rocks! Hell my laptop hardly gets used anymore because my EVO does everything my laptop does. Try the EVO risk free for 30 days and see if you have good coverage where you will be using it. I'm sure Sprint will have much better coverage for you but you never know. Make the switch, you will be glad you did. Its a no-brainer... seriously.

Eddiethking

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Theming the EVO is not as difficult as previous poster makes it out to be. The truth is that Android OS as much more customizable than bb OS, all day, everyday.

Now I used to be a bb user for a few years and I still like bb OS but its far too limited compared to Android. My advice is to find the nearest trash bin for your current blackberry and head over to bestbuy or radio shack and pick up a new HTC EVO. The web browsing on the EVO is FAAAAAAAAR superior to any blackberry device. With full Adobe flash and 1ghz, this EVO rocks! Hell my laptop hardly gets used anymore because my EVO does everything my laptop does. Try the EVO risk free for 30 days and see if you have good coverage where you will be using it. I'm sure Sprint will have much better coverage for you but you never know. Make the switch, you will be glad you did. Its a no-brainer... seriously.

Thanks for the advice, I am under the impression that if I get an EVO I wont regret it.

As far as buying the phone, do you suggest I buy from Sprint, or is radioshack and bestbuy a good choice?

I am thinking in terms of returns and repairs.

aldogs

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I just got the evo today! It was my third time giving android a shot. First samsung moment then lg optimus and both times I ran back to my 8530.
I got to say this phone is bad ass! You wont regret it!

Radio shack has it online for $99 free shipping! Add the insurance plan and you should be good!

Mdorty

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have an EVO now. I've had it for several months now, after I switched over from a BB Storm. It was a huge leap from slow to fast and BB to Android. Android has many ups, but also has a few downs. First, if you liked putting themes on your BB like I did to change the look every once in a while, then Android is not the OS for you. I have looked on here and everywhere, and you have to go through a whole bunch of steps and processes to root your phone, and then go through a whole bunch of steps and processes to put themes on your phone. BUT if you like having OS updates on a regular basis, then Android is right for you when BB has a very irregular OS update pace and when it does update, most phones will not get it like Blackberry 6. If you like Apps then Android is right for you with the ever expanding App Market. Android is great and amazing and cool and fast, BUT BB has it beat in certain categories such as themes and customization. BB customization is very simple and easy with downloading and then applying the theme through options, where Android has to go through root and then applying through the root command prompt. But other than that pit-fall, Android has BB beat in every other category.

Wtf are you talking about?!? Android is the most customizable mobile OS I've ever seen. You don't have to root to change the way the phone looks...

...I'm so ****ing lost with what you're talking about. I don't even know what to say...

tx_dbs_tx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I am under the impression that if I get an EVO I wont regret it.

As far as buying the phone, do you suggest I buy from Sprint, or is radioshack and bestbuy a good choice?

I am thinking in terms of returns and repairs.

I always buy my phones from BestBuy because there's no rebate bs and you only have to pay the upgrade price without having to pay the extra and wait to get it back in several weeks like when you buy from the Sprint store. Sprint as well as all corporate Sprint stores will warranty and service your phone the same as if you bought it from any Sprint store. If you buy your new phone from a reputable authorized sprint retailer, then Sprint will take care of any issues you might have including warranty exchanges after the 30 day return period from your original purchase retailer. Look for the best prices and personally I would buy it at Best Buy or Radio Shack. No rebates!

Eddiethking

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I always buy my phones from BestBuy because there's no rebate bs and you only have to pay the upgrade price without having to pay the extra and wait to get it back in several weeks like when you buy from the Sprint store. Sprint as well as all corporate Sprint stores will warranty and service your phone the same as if you bought it from any Sprint store. If you buy your new phone from a reputable authorized sprint retailer, then Sprint will take care of any issues you might have including warranty exchanges after the 30 day return period from your original purchase retailer. Look for the best prices and personally I would buy it at Best Buy or Radio Shack. No rebates!

Got it, thanks of the heads up!!

What color do you guys have? Black or white?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Android has many ups, but also has a few downs. First, if you liked putting themes on your BB like I did to change the look every once in a while, then Android is not the OS for you. I have looked on here and everywhere, and you have to go through a whole bunch of steps and processes to root your phone, and then go through a whole bunch of steps and processes to put themes on your phone.

have you ever heard of Scenes?

tx_dbs_tx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the white EVO and my wife insisted on a black one. I think the white looks pretty slick but its only matter of personal preference. They are both identical other than the back color. I have a black shell case on mine. It's made of a soft very flexible plastic material that protects the phone great. I dropped my phone on concrete getting put of my truck and it didn't have a single mark on my phone, screen, or case! I bought it at Best Buy also and its much better than the usual silicon rubber covers that grab while trying to slide into your pocket.

tx_dbs_tx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
are you a man? if so - get black.

good luck.

What difference does it make if a male or female chooses a black or white EVO? Theres tons of guys with white EVO's and tons of ladies with black ones and vice versa... don't make it sound as if one color makes you a man and the other makes you a woman. Totally a matter of preference... now if it was pink on the other hand, then I would have to agree with your comment. LOL

Eddiethking

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
What difference does it make if a male or female chooses a black or white EVO? Theres tons of guys with white EVO's and tons of ladies with black ones and vice versa... don't make it sound as if one color makes you a man and the other makes you a woman. Totally a matter of preference... now if it was pink on the other hand, then I would have to agree with your comment. LOL

I have heard that there is a difference in screens.

Something about a refresh rate, anyone know anything about this?

I am thinking about getting a white evo 3g, I am a male btw.

Also, I am wondering if you guys know if it is easy to get on the employee discount (through ones job) if you buy the phone from a 3rd party authorized dealer i.e. Radioshack, Bestbuy?

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Good advice, yeah I think I am going to make the leap, not only to Sprint, but to Droid as well.

Can anyone explain what I will be seeing from an EVO in terms of email? I use gmail on my BB right now. What will the difference be?

I spent the last three years beefing up my knowledge on BB, I don't know very much about droid yet.

Well, you're in the wrong forums for Droid. That's a Motorola phone with 3 variants offered only on Verizon.

The Droid, Evo, and other phones use the software from the Open Handset Alliance called Android.

So, thanks to Verizon's obtuse marketing scheme, things get really confusing... I suggest you clarify if you're referring to Motorola products or Google software. =P

I have an 002 model, and there are a couple of screen variants floating around. To be honest... who cares??? The differences are so negligible. They are not related to refresh rate, or FPS rate--you received some misinformation. The FPS rate was adjusted in a software update that all Evos received.

I really think that your best bet instead of gathering opinions from other people, is to just grab the phone yourself and try it out.

Good luck