Why is Handcent splitting my short messages into parts that are illegible?

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Quite often lately I'm sending an SMS via Handcent that is less than 160 characters, say between 100 and 140 or so. Handcent, as it occasionally does with even shorter messages, splits this one message up into 3, 4, or 5 parts, each part consisting of one sentence. Furthermore, when the recipient gets the split messages, they arrive as ONE message, but a message that is all illegible, with question marks between each and every letter and space.

For example, the message of:

i'm gonna be very pissed and fed up if he doesn't re-sign him by the self-imposed deadline of today
is received as this:

?(?1/?3?)?i?'?m? ?g?o?n?n?a? ?b?e? ?v?e?r?y? ?p?i?s?s?e?d?(2?/?3?)? ?a?n?d? ?f?e?d? ?u?p? ?i?f? ?h?e? ?d?o?e?s?n?t? ?r?e?-?s?i?g?n? ?h?i?m? ?(3?/?3)? ?b?y? ?t?h?e? ?e?n?d? ?o?f? ?t?o?d?a?y?

This has been going on before and after the latest Handcent update, BTW. Anyone experience anything like this?

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Not having this issue but experiencing batches of texts coming in in intervals, rather than when each arrives...have found a recent group of comments in the app catalog indicating no notifications.

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
OK, today Handcent is now doing this to simple, one or two-sentence texts. One of my buddies keeps getting this gibberish from me no matter what.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Did you uninstall handcent before update? Handcent needs to be removed then reinstalled. Try that see if it works

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I did, but I'm going to try it again just in case. BTW, since I now have a bunch of saved incoming SMS msgs on Handcent, if I uninstall it then re-install it (again), those msgs won't be lost, will they?

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Re-installed cleanly yet again, and after a couple days, this random splitting recurred. I just sent someone a text consisting of about 45 characters, and Handcent mysteriously split the msg into 3 frickin' parts, each totally illegible. I even did a copy and paste of ONE of the parts, the first part that had 14 words in it, and the recipient said it came through as one text that was totally illegible. Again.

I have no choice but to uninstall this app permanently.

Oh, BTW, a buddy of mine on an EVO also has been experiencing this.

I hate Chomp, so I guess it's back to the stock app, unfortunately. :(

boobie1292

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re-installed cleanly yet again, and after a couple days, this random splitting recurred. I just sent someone a text consisting of about 45 characters, and Handcent mysteriously split the msg into 3 frickin' parts, each totally illegible. I even did a copy and paste of ONE of the parts, the first part that had 14 words in it, and the recipient said it came through as one text that was totally illegible. Again.

I have no choice but to uninstall this app permanently.

Oh, BTW, a buddy of mine on an EVO also has been experiencing this.

I hate Chomp, so I guess it's back to the stock app, unfortunately. :(

You can try go sms I'm liking it

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
So what about your text input? Are you using the standard keyboard? I'm thinking if you have a special font selected as your font, maybe the receiver doesn't have that font so that's why they can't view the message...

or if you've installed the font pack and the other person hasn't... that could be the issue.

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Nope, no special font being used. Besides, that doesn't explain why even the shortest of messages are being split into multiple ones.

Regardless, I dumped Handcent and went with GO SMS.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000