Can't send MMS messages while on 4G?

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I swear I have done this before but I'm not sure. 4G went live in Cleveland so I am using it a lot lately. However, when connected to 4G, I cannot send any picture messages or any MMS. Regular text messages work just fine. I use Handcent SMS and it works great, but when connected over 4G, I get a "cannot send message error" Reason due to generic network failure or something like that. Basically, it will not send until I turn off the 4G and reconnect to normal 3G. Then it works like it should.

Is this a limitation of 4G? (which would be stupid...) I am more thinking its a problem with an app or the phone? Can someone help?

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
You def. can't send via wifi. I haven't tried 4G MMS, but if it is, its a limitation to how the phone has implemented 4G basically.

Like the fact when a game wants to download assets once its on your phone, it asks to be on wifi, even if you're on 4G which is just as fast for some.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, interesting. I'm still getting familiar with mine, so I haven't reach that far yet. I'll report back if I encounter the same problem.

Update: Just tried it using mms 4G, and it works great.

Last edited:

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. Already know that MMS or text doesn't work if your on a wifi only connection. That makes sense since it isn't a mobile connection to the carriers network. But it SHOULD work over 4G... Strange why it isn't for me. Perhaps its a Handcent issue?

italianotampa

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Text on wifi works for me and so does mms? Do you mean wifi on with airplane mode on? I thought when wifi was on the texts use the cell signal.

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not use what that problem is....I too have 4g and use handcent and not having any problems sending or recieving over 3g or 4g....try this if you havent yet....go into your stock messaging app and turn off everything you can think of connected to that messaging app....then go into ur handcent and activate everything you want it to do....i found out early on that if both are set to do the same things you can sometimes get a conflict between the two apps.....other than that you can try uninstalling hancent and reinstalling while its on 4g

Venpacasa

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
sry to reopen this but here is my problem....
Basically when i have 4g on i turn 3g off manually (it seems to use less battery... Or maybe i think it does) anyways... when i do this my MMS do not send... text and data works fine even phone calls plus browsing but MMS just do not send untill i reconnect 3g delete the "sending" ones and resend.... not a huge deal but i want to know if i am alone.... also i am using CM7 nightly #80