Need Help deciding on Evo - Got a mytouch 4G

Bills_MyT4G

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Hello, as of December 10th I am the owner of a new T-Mobile myTouch 4G with Froyo 2.2. I had AT&T and iPhones since day 1. I sold my iPhone 4.

I just went to my local T-Mobile store because I have allot of friends that like TMO's service and their customer service. I have to admit the experience in the store was excellent and porting my number from AT&T was not too bad. The sales and technical were excellent and I did not feel rushed to exit the store.

Here's the rub. I listened to my friends and did not shop at Sprint.
I hear nothing but good things about the Evo as a really, really good device. And allot of negativity about Sprin't service. I am in Silicon Valley the SF Bay area so I have that big question mark looming. And Sprint always had a difficult time having them in stock. I think the size of the myTouch screen is pretty decent and like the way it will fit in my pocket.

The Evo is huge and I dunno about the bulk or weight. I'm not sure about Sense UI either. Please Help me decide. and yes I know I'm posting this in the Evo forum's. My main concern is the big size and feel in my hand and how it will feel in my pocket along with Sprin'ts service.

I can return the myTouch which I kinda like, I have not held the Evo and would need to take a serious look at the Evo in my hand. Also how is the upgrade path with regards to 2.2 to 2.3 and beyond? I would not get rid of the myTouch 4G unless I actually had an Evo in hand. Thanks in advance for any input and Happy Holiday's.

Bill

Last edited:

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Sprint has a 30 day money back guarantee what have you got to lose. I love my EVO I think it is the best device going and Sence UI is the top manufacturer UI IMHO.

Reactions: Bills_MyT4G

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
First, I would buy any phone at Best Buy, so go there to check out an Evo so you can make a good decision. I've had my Evo since launch and I love it more now than I did when I got it. The size is perfect, it's really not as big as is looks once you own one. I carry it in my jeans pocket all the time and I've never heard a "happy to see me" crack. I do get a lot of people asking me about my phone when I use it, which is pretty much a large percentage of the day.

As for the UI, Sense is generally considered the leader in the Android world. It really is pretty nice and has some great features. I would not however base a purchase decision on the UI because it is so easy to change. If you hate the UI, just root and get something you like. I am a huge fan of Cyanogen and I am testing out MIUI right now. Both are very nice and offer a lot of cool features.

The MyTouch 4G is a pretty nice phone, but I think you would be very happy with an Evo too. It's pretty much a matter of personal preference, but my preference is Evo over every other phone on the market currently.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Go to the benchmark sticky at the top of this forum... the one with the large numbers is a myTouch4G,

I have an EVO and I think it's GREAT PHONE. You're call, you can sign up with sprint too, you have 30 days if you dont like it. you just pay restocking fee...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I will chime in here since I've owned both phones. Both are great phones. Here are some BIG differences.

Screen size - Evo is 4.3, mt4g is 3,7. They both have the same resolution so the mt4g looks sharper. I didn't have a problem reading anything on either one.

Battery life - You can do all the rom's and hacks and kernels you want, but I've put one ROM on the mt4g and my evo never came close to lasting as long on a charge. I can go from 8am to 7pm with moderate usage and still not have to put it on a charger until i go to bed around 10. That would never happen with the EVO.

Processor - They both run at 1ghz, but the mt4g has the newer generation snapdragon. It has a faster GPU (which makes a noticable difference), and it's more battery efficient.

Smaller differences

Camera - Overall I think the mt4g takes better pictures and videos. I'm not sure why that is, actually, but I get much better results with the mt4g.

Size - This is very subjective. I think the size of the mt4g is perfect. But I also didn't have a problem with the size of the EVO. Occasionally I thought it was a little big, but not hugely obscene or anything like that.

I also think the screen quality of the mt4g is a little better. Again, this is subjective. Maybe it has to do with the sharpness, or the metro sense (which is still present on the ROM I run), but either way I think the quality of the panel on the mt4g is superior.

Now the big one, the network

This is all up to you. It depends on where you are. I would imagine that being in silicon valley you have pretty good coverage no matter what network you're on. I will say this, though, that HSPA+ on T-Mobile doesn't hog the battery like 4G does on Sprint. The speeds are good (I was on fringe coverage once and I got 3mbps download). 4G wasn't in my area for Sprint yet, but when I visited Chicago I could get 5mbps download speed.

I had the option to go back to Sprint and chose not to. That's because I'm very impressed with the mt4g and really have no complaints about it. The same could not be said of the EVO, with the biggest one being battery life. I don't want to have to turn stuff off to get good battery life.

Oh, and for some reason I like having a trackpad. I've never had one before. But it's nice. :)

EDIT: Remember, CHOOSE YOUR NETWORK FIRST, then your plan, then your device.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
As for service, sprint has never let me down, before i had the evo i went to sf and service was great.

Unless you have a need for the 4.3, the hdmi, or have some sprint 4g near you the mytouch wins head to head.

Newer generation snapdragon is AWESOME, and the battery life is better. Although, I get 12-14 hours everyday from my evo.

Btw, they both run sense its just the mytouch version isn't stock sense its tweaked visually.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
As for service, sprint has never let me down, before i had the evo i went to sf and service was great.

Unless you have a need for the 4.3, the hdmi, or have some sprint 4g near you the mytouch wins head to head.

Newer generation snapdragon is AWESOME, and the battery life is better. Although, I get 12-14 hours everyday from my evo.

Btw, they both run sense its just the mytouch version isn't stock sense its tweaked visually.

To add to that, I like some of the changes in the mytouch version, like the dialer, but the colors bother me a little.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
My girlfriend has the mytouch 4g. They're both almost the exact same size except the Evo is thicker. Personally I think the version of Sense on the MyTouch 4g is horrid. But the phone itself is incredible. When it comes to performance the MyTouch is faster, no contest. But that doesn't mean that the Evo is slow by any means. I think the MyTouch is a great phone. But I still prefer the Evo. I LOVE the kickstand. The Sense version on the Evo blows the one on the MyTouch away. I think the Evo is a better looking phone. The Evo is second to none when it comes to developer support. And it's on Sprint. Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either. I will say that if you dont plan on rooting, go with the Evo. Simply because I personally can't stand the version of Sense on the MyTouch. If you plan on rooting then that's a different story. You also have to keep in mind the networks. I think Sprint is a better network (girlfriend drops calls, I don't). Also the 4G is better on Sprint than on Tmo. OO ya and the HDMI. Love it

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Also keep in mind that you can change the launcher. If you don't like the way Sense is on either one you can change to Launcher Pro or ADW or one of the many other launchers available in the market.

Jerzy, how is 4G better on Sprint? Oh wait it's because T-Mo's 4G isn't really 4G. :p But the speeds are pretty comparable, right (I think you're in a 4G area so you can compare fairly)?

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Also keep in mind that you can change the launcher. If you don't like the way Sense is on either one you can change to Launcher Pro or ADW or one of the many other launchers available in the market.

Jerzy, how is 4G better on Sprint? Oh wait it's because T-Mo's 4G isn't really 4G. :p But the speeds are pretty comparable, right (I think you're in a 4G area so you can compare fairly)?

Great point about the launchers. That can definitely change things. The speeds really aren't that comparable. If you're in an area where they both have really good "4g" coverage it's not even close. I can get easy 10mb/s (have gotten as high as 12mb/s) and in the same area she'd "only" get like 4-5. Which is still fast, but not close. Also the speeds are much more consistent with the Sprint 4G compared to the HSPA+ on Tmo

Reactions: Kevin OQuinn

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Great point about the launchers. That can definitely change things. The speeds really aren't that comparable. If you're in an area where they both have really good "4g" coverage it's not even close. I can get easy 10mb/s (have gotten as high as 12mb/s) and in the same area she'd "only" get like 4-5. Which is still fast, but not close. Also the speeds are much more consistent with the Sprint 4G compared to the HSPA+ on Tmo

Good to know. If you take the carriers on their word, though, the coverage for HSPA+ is better. For now. I've also heard that 4g speeds for Sprint aren't necessarily consistent from market to market. For example, I might get awesome speeds in Chicago, but in Atlanta it might not be that great. (for the record I don't know how 4G is in Atlanta but was just using it as an example). That also only applies if you travel from market to market, which I don't.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Good to know. If you take the carriers on their word, though, the coverage for HSPA+ is better. For now. I've also heard that 4g speeds for Sprint aren't necessarily consistent from market to market. For example, I might get awesome speeds in Chicago, but in Atlanta it might not be that great. (for the record I don't know how 4G is in Atlanta but was just using it as an example). That also only applies if you travel from market to market, which I don't.

That's true. But so far from my experience Sprint is pretty good. But I think you can say that about all networks. All networks can change from market to market.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks