Incoming calls fail to register on phone

Vetdoctor

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Four days ago my wife complained that I was ignoring her calls. While this would be possible, in this case my phone didn't even show a "Missed call" alert. I tried calling it myself from work and, sure enough, the call eventually went to VM but the phone never tweaked and never showed a missed call. I rebooted and everything worked. For 2 hours. Since then I have had frequent failed incoming calls. Email and text are fine coming and going and I can call out. Rebooting will reset it and I updated the PRL which helped for two hours.

I called the Sprint number and got the technician that wanted to factory reset my phone but seemed confused when I asked if I would loose data on the card or the programs on the card. While he was still puttering we lost the connection and I have yet to call back.

So far it seems that having my phone on the charger (non-computer) makes the phone miss calls but I haven't found anything else. Any ideas?

Evo: non-rooted.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
This is interesting... Sprint shouldn't need to factory reset your phone. I believe there is a code that sprint will tell you to enter, for SU mode. I'm not sure if that factory resets your phone, I don't think it does because I've done it with my g/f and her moms EVO's. Anyway, it updates the phone on the network itself. Might want to try that... Otherwise tell them you want a new one because this is "prevents you from utilizing the services you pay for on a monthly basis as well as the full functionality of the phone since it is continuously dropping calls as well as not responding to incoming calls."

On another note... that tech seemed like he was still wet behind the ears. Go into the store and try to reproduce it... Murphys law will probably apply, but it's better than troubleshooting over the phone, you'll get nowhere.

Reactions: Vetdoctor

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
No problem. Like I said... if you updated the PRL and you're still having the issue, it might be a network communication error with your phone...

Have you tried to update everything? There's a couple things you can update in the system updates in the settings.

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar problem, but only when I was at home. Since I work from home this was a pretty big problem. I updated the PRL and it got worse. I unrooted and headed to the Sprint store, turns out that they had a bunch of people in the area with problems. They said give it a few days and sure enough everything was back to normal within the week. Ask if they are having other complaints about the problem before taking your phone in.

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Hard Reset wont hurt the card, just take it out if your worried. Programs on the card would have to be redownloaded, but if you use AppBrain, it syncs the apps you have for easier redownload. as far as the missing calls, Sprint can try reprogramming the device with the MDN and MSID but a hard reset usually fixes everything on the spot.

rcuswalk

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a different problem. Sometimes my phone rings, but when I try to swipe down to answer the call, the phone won't respond to my movement. I have to wait for the "call" to end, turn the phone off and back on, and then call the person back. It seems strange, but this has happened several times over the last three or four months. Rebooting and even factory reset have done nothing.

Vetdoctor

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments folks. So far nothing has helped but now that there is an HTC update coming out I'll wait for it and see if that fixes the issue.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had this happen a few times in the past week as I'd get the Google Voice alert that a voice message was received, but the phone never rang. At first I thought it was because the ringer was turned down, but now I'm not sure. If I wanted a phone that can't make phone calls, I'd have bought an iPhone!*

* No, I wouldn't.