Things I've done with my other phone, that i can't do with my Evo.

raziel

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Play angry birds WITHOUT those f*cking ads and use apps like stream to me without any issues (androstream sucks). Oh yeah, there's this game called rage...

igobytony

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I love my EVO infinitely over my old Pre, but one real functional thing the Pre has better is audio quality on video recording and better night video recording quality. My EVOs video sounds and looks horrible for night recording. Thing that sucks is that the EVO is capable of quality, 44khz audio but HTC thought they should make it sound like 8khz crap.

I was wondering what the issue was with video recording with this thing. I expected it to be amazing, but I find that I get about as much in the way of artifacts and other glitchiness as I did with precorder (the homebrew solution from before Pres had a video app). I know you mentioned audio on vids, but I feel life the video isn't what I had expected.

Maybe it's just playback that's bad, I don't know since I really don't watch videos online that I record on my phone. I'll have to check on that sometime soon.

It may sound counter-intuitive but I may turn down the quality some to see if it helps. Like maybe the phone can't really keep up with the 720p it's rated for? I don't know...

Still a great phone though!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

igobytony

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This one has more to do with a specific app, but I really miss being able to scroll back through songs that have been played in Pandora and thumbs up/down them.

This was really handy when working out, or doing the dishes or something that you can't get your hands on the phone while a song is still playing. I hope Pandora updates and gives this functionality to android soon.

If I'm wrong and there is a way to scroll back through songs in Pandora on here, please let me know! Thanks.

sveilien

Jun 18, 2010
www.punnyshirts.com
I was wondering what the issue was with video recording with this thing. I expected it to be amazing, but I find that I get about as much in the way of artifacts and other glitchiness as I did with precorder (the homebrew solution from before Pres had a video app). I know you mentioned audio on vids, but I feel life the video isn't what I had expected.

Maybe it's just playback that's bad, I don't know since I really don't watch videos online that I record on my phone. I'll have to check on that sometime soon.

It may sound counter-intuitive but I may turn down the quality some to see if it helps. Like maybe the phone can't really keep up with the 720p it's rated for? I don't know...

Still a great phone though!

I know the videocam app is recording audio at 8kHz. I don't know if they were trying to save on bandwidth to have the ability to shoot 720p, but to have telephone-quality audio is just dumb. Especially if you try to record something with music. I was hoping someone would have made a better 3rd party video recording app by now :(

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Let's see...send MMS files in Google talk app. How could my Blackberry do this but my GOOGLE phone can't. Gtalk is finnicky as hell too. Won't stay signed in, tells my friends that I am unavailable when I actually am, etc. And yes, I have explored and played around with all the settings.

I miss a reliable email client. Granted I have not used all of the 3rd party email apps out there but the stock one has let me down a number of times. Some issues I've had: stops syncing randomly and has trouble sending/forwarding messages over wifi. I also liked being able to delete a message on my phone but still having it saved on my pc which I can't seem to do with the EVo.

I also miss the sound and notification profiles of my blackberry which has not proven to be near as customizable on the Evo.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
webos elegant multitasking - up to 35 application(s) open at one time.

+1 =)

Edit: Oh something else... just remembered. WebOS did nightly incremental backups. After a hard reset, all one had to do was sign-in and BOOM... everything is back (after of course things sync). The only thing that had to be done was to re-do the icon arrangements.

I hate that I'm tethered to Titanium backup because Android doesn't innately do the same.

balansboy

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
That commercial kills me every time I see it... Hilarious.

Yep. Girlfriend actually GETS jealous because i'll be on my phone while we're shopping, talking, watching TV, etc. I know it's bad... there's no excuse.

Agreed. My wife always saying:"What are you doing on that thing now". Jeez, she has an Evo too, you think she would be more understanding!

BBBW33

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Just as the topic states-

Post all feature(s) you miss here:

Webos elegant multitasking - up to 35 application(s) open at one time.
A physical keyboard, however... I'm getting use to the (Evo) virtual keyboard. :)

I agree with you. I just have gotten back on the Droid ban wagon and it is even better than I had in the past. ;)

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Get SMSBackup off the market. It saves your TXTs to an SMS folder in GMail. I use it all the time. Very good, small app...

Oh, thanks I'll check that out but I should've said "email message". When you pressed delete it would give you the option to only delete the email message on the handheld but not the desktop.

Sopharus

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Just as the topic states-

Post all feature(s) you miss here:

Webos elegant multitasking - up to 35 application(s) open at one time.
A physical keyboard, however... I'm getting use to the (Evo) virtual keyboard. :)

I'm also coming from WebOS, and have had my Evo since launch. Once I started using SwiftKey, I didn't really miss the keyboard as much. It sounds like we'll be getting the full version of Swype in the next OTA. I used the Swype beta for a while but it messed up a few too many common words with enough frequency that I ditched it for SwiftKey.

Additionally, it took me a long time to get used to not having the card system, and I still was missing a way to play/pause my music while browsing the web, which WebOS did incredibly well. However, the folks over at the Android subreddit pointed me toward QuickDesk and I haven't had any complaints since. It basically allows a temporary homescreen overlay without having to exit your current app.

I set it up so my QuickDesk screen pops up when I doubletap home and added a WinAmp and DoggCatcher widget, along with shortcuts to all my other favorite apps and I honestly don't know how I got by without it.

lornaevo

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
add the google search widget on your home screen and in the settings tell google search to search your phone as well as apps and anything else you'd like.
Actually all you have to do is touch the search key on the evo and then start searching. Long press to bring up voice action