Speed at Store Compared to Speed Elsewhere

kabbooks

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I am considering an EVO. I am in an area that does not have 4G yet (Detroit). I have been going back and forth between Sprint smart phones and T-Mobile smart phones (suppose to have 4g now in the Detroit area). I prefer the sprint plans and I get a corporate discount on the plans.

While using the EVO at the store, it seems to run fast (browsing the internet). Is there a way for me to tell whether or not the device is using 3G or wifi? I will certainly use wifi when possible but there will be a lot times when I will only be able to use 3G and I want to confirm that the tests that I do at the store are with 3G.

If tried the EVO out at a store before purchasing, did you find comparable speeds after the purchase?

Thanks

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
When doing the test in the store, you will very clearly be able to see the WiFi icon in the top status bar.

If it is on 3G, you will see the 3G icon with up and down arrows next to it.

My opinion? If you like the plans and you get a corporate discount, go with the EVO. For one, it is an AMAZING phone and also Detroit is sure to get 4G soon enough.

Truth be known, I live in a 4G area (Orlando) and I almost never turn on 4G. It eats battery, 3G is plenty fast and I am connected to WiFi a lot at work and home.

In the long term, it sounds like you are going to save more money by going with Sprint / Evo.

wadester

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
If WiFi is turned on and it's connected to an access point, you'll notice the 3G icon disappears and the WiFi wave icon appears. That's how you can tell what you're using to access the Internet.

You can also use the SpeedTest app and it will tell you in the results tab whether you're using WiFi or 3G/4G.

stimulatedboredom

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, point being is that a Sprint rep won't be able to fool you, as the icons are clearly displayed based upon what connection they are using in the store. You can also go into Settings ---> Wireless & Networks and confirm that they are not tricking you by using Wifi and telling you it's 3G.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante