06-10-2011 11:54 AM
731 ... 34567 ...
tools
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/show...666#post477666

Rooted, Deodexed, Zipaligned version of 3.70.651.1
    12-15-2010 12:53 PM
    I just installed the update and now I am having problems with audio streaming. I was listening to streaming audio via shoutcast prior to the update and it was working clear and fine. After the update, went back to the same shoutcast station and there are all kinds of interference and "bubbly" noises going on. I've tried a few different apps and different stations, all with the same result. Anybody else having problems like that?
    12-15-2010 12:55 PM
    Finished my nandroid backup and Titanium Backup. Tried restoring the stock recovery, but that wouldn't run for some reason. Red yield sign / exclamation point. Tried applying this update anyway (from a manual download), and it immediately aborted. Same thing someone earlier said about user keys. I'm on hardware version 0003. Oh well, at least I didn't have to nandroid restore.
    12-15-2010 12:55 PM
    Try uninstalling the beta, then powering down your phone, then restart. You'll get the intro screen for the HTC keyboard, you can skip that, then open up a text box, long hold it, then select input method, and swype should be there as an option. That's what I did and it worked great.
    worked great after the restart. apparently uninstalling wasnt enough
    thanks!
    12-15-2010 01:00 PM
    Just FYI I downloaded the OTA to my PC and extracted the APK files. Loaded SWYPE and the blockbuster app to my rooted EVO running Cyanogen 6.1. SWYPE forced closed on me the first few times so I did a reboot and now it works great. So for all of those who are rooted and don't want to wait for a few days it looks as if the SWYPE APK can be extracted and used along with the others in this update :-). This should not be against SWYPES rules since it is being given freely in this OTA.

Update: Nix that, keep getting force close on SWYPE.
    12-15-2010 01:06 PM
    Does it break root?
    I have 2 EVO's, one for me and one for my wife. Both are rooted using Unrevoked (regular, not forever). Mine has another ROM so I know I can't get this automatic update. My wife's is rooted but nothing else was changed. Can she get the OTA update? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but I want to double check.
    Does anyone have any info on what the 4g widget update is? Does it improve the scanning method?
    i second this... any word on this widget? i dont see it anywhere
    12-15-2010 01:09 PM
    I'm a really new user, 1 week old.
    This morning, I accepted the software update, and when it rebooted, IT FROZE! at the 4G screen.

I waited 15 minutes, just in case.
    The on/off switch wouldn't work.
    I removed the battery.
    It still tried to reboot and froze at the 4G screen
    I took the battery out again.
    it rebooted, and moved slowly past the 4G screen, BUT all of my icons were gone!
    I waited, noticing there were still downloads happening at the top of the screen.
    I was really freaking out now. I was dealing with this about 30 minutes already.
    With it on, I let it sit for another 15 minutes, hoping it would download all it needed and get back on track.
    When I saw the downloads had stopped, still no icons on my home page, I powered on/off AGAIN, and it, slowly it came back to life.

Is this normal for a new software update/download?
    It scared me to death!!
    12-15-2010 01:10 PM
    Brilliant, Sprint. Now the 4G network asks to scan and connect every time it loses signal, rather than reconnecting itself???

4G's coverage is so bad, my phone is now NEVER on 4G in Austin, because it won't automatically connect!

At least you could have left the option to auto-connect on. Great. There goes 4G. What's the point of super-fast speeds if you have to press, scan, connect every time you want to use it?
    12-15-2010 01:10 PM
    Did this fix the 4G lag? That has got to be the single biggest problem this phone has right now.
    12-15-2010 01:13 PM
    My EVO, hardware version 3, is not seeing the update. I noticed a post indicating it is looking for #272076 or #294884, which mine is #252548. Can anyone confirm whether this update is applicable to all EVOs?
    yibrushn likes this.
    12-15-2010 01:14 PM
    Any update on it if it breaks root?
    12-15-2010 01:17 PM
    Current swype beta is 2.15.56.14870 so its definitely an older version. I'd like to hear from Swype if we can continue using the betas now that Swype is 'preloaded' so to speak.
    Bit of a harsh reply from a Swype rep stating that you cannot use the Beta if you download the OTA. Ugh!

See response on Swype forum here:

Now that Swype is included on HTC EVO's can we still use the beta?
    12-15-2010 01:18 PM
    Just FYI I downloaded the OTA to my PC and extracted the APK files. Loaded SWYPE and the blockbuster app to my rooted EVO running Cyanogen 6.1. SWYPE forced closed on me the first few times so I did a reboot and now it works great. So for all of those who are rooted and don't want to wait for a few days it looks as if the SWYPE APK can be extracted and used along with the others in this update :-). This should not be against SWYPES rules since it is being given freely in this OTA.
    Dumb question here, but I also downloaded the zip file to my PC and want to try the swype.apk file. I see the file, what do i need to do with it, where do I put it, just copy and paste?
    12-15-2010 01:20 PM
    Any update on it if it breaks root?
    It will break root. Follow this LINK if you want to keep your root.
    dante501 and sledgie#AC like this.
    12-15-2010 01:22 PM
    Just update manually guys....

Sent From My HTC EVO 4G Using Tapatalk.
    12-15-2010 01:26 PM
    Swype and I don't seem to be working out. Too complicated for me.
    12-15-2010 01:27 PM
    Just update manually guys....

Sent From My HTC EVO 4G Using Tapatalk.
    How? Do you click on the zip file from the phone or download to PC first. I downloaded and extracted to PC already. Then what do I do? When I downloaded from the phone it saved but then I didn't know how to access.
    12-15-2010 01:30 PM
    Forgot about this if you have root.

If you have run unrevoked forever, the update does not disable S-OFF, so you can reflash a custom recovery and then reflash su.apk and you will have root access back.
    12-15-2010 01:31 PM
    I found some instructions from earlier update, I will try those.
    12-15-2010 01:34 PM
    Forgot about this if you have root.
    Will that work? It looks like there was a new hboot in the update. Will your system still retain the s-off? I am unsure myself and would be willing to try that method if I had more time.
    12-15-2010 01:36 PM
    Will that work? It looks like there was a new hboot in the update. Will your system still retain the s-off? I am unsure myself and would be willing to try that method if I had more time.

According to what ive been told, as long as youve run unrEVOked forever you shouldn't lose s-off and thus allowing you to flash custom recovery. Im trying to find more info now.
    12-15-2010 01:39 PM
    Bit of a harsh reply from a Swype rep stating that you cannot use the Beta if you download the OTA. Ugh!

See response on Swype forum here:

Now that Swype is included on HTC EVO's can we still use the beta?
    That is a very disappointing reply from someone in customer relations. There is a certain risk involved in using a beta product, but this is not a good way to talk to an end user that had a legitimate question and it definitely changes my opinion of that company.
    12-15-2010 01:39 PM
    this was a pretty ****** answer on the swype board.
    12-15-2010 01:43 PM
731 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD