SERIOUS HTC EVO 4G FLAW DISCOVERED! Charge FAILS via USB

runninghoove

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
My HTC Evo fails to charge on anything but an old Nokia power-supply based charger-only, which I found at a thrift store today.

I can no longer xfer files (mp3's, mp4 videos etc) because not a single USB (9 so far) connects, so customizing and putting content into my micro SD inside the phone is no longer a feature I get to enjoy (without removing the card each time) that is. What a pain in the a**!

When I connect any micro USB, my phone just stays dark. It used to light up 5 days ago. My Evo is 45 days old. I never jammed or put the USB in wrong or dropped the phone edge-on with the plug (I'm a total geek with high-tech gadgets, I'm the resident fix-all around here) I would have expected my 12 year old to mess up the charging jack by dropping or wrong-way jamming, but her's works great and connects, charges and allows xfer of files on any USB she uses (and so does my wife's Evo!)

As for my unit, it used to light up whenever I connected a USB cable like my wife and daughter's does, not on mine! Even the HTC issued cable that came with the phone FAILS to do anything!??

I only have this ancient battered old NOKIA micro USB Power Supply charger and nothing else I got at Goodwill, no way to xfer files nor install updates via USB to PC xfers.

The phones cost me $399.00 each after rebates and mine is now just totally lame crap because NOT A SINGLE USB CABLE WORKS ON IT ANYMORE.

Sprint won't do anything to help, they were useless to rectify this issue or provide answer of who could possibly fix or be of some help, they just shrugged and pointed me to the door, even though I was the 14th customer to come into the store that month for the EXACT SAME ISSUE (November, 2010). Anyone have some advice, or did I just get screwed out of a perfectly functioning HTC Evo because of mine has the SERIOUS DEFECT now surfacing in the market?

By the way, I heard above that someone got theirs to work by hard resetting ther Evo, how would I go about doing that?? Does a hard reset kill everything as far as contacts and settings?? Anyone know? My last resort to see if resetting the phone does anything. I know I'm not the only one dealing with this issue, but I feel it's serious enough a flaw that we should try to figure out a solution.

Also, injecting electro grease into the port did nothing, by the way.

Thanks in advance, I will monitor this thread nevertheless. The AndroidCentral forums rawk!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. you have a 1 year warranty.
2. you can use Dropbox to quickly and easily transfer files to your microSD cards in the meantime.
3. we have thousands and thousands of EVO owners here and this is the first i've heard of this issue so i doubt it's a widespread "serious defect flaw".
4. "I only have this ancient battered old NOKIA micro USB Power Supply charger and nothing else I got at Goodwill, no way to xfer files nor install updates via USB to PC xfers." - WTF are you trying to say here?
5. my guess is that you damaged the port.

good luck.

runninghoove

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
It is under warrenty, I did go to the Sprint Store where I bought it however, they said I'd prolly have to go through HTC to get a replacement if I couldn't figure out what the problem is on my own. But do I really want another HTC EVO replacement when the next one may have the same exact issue that people like me are now reporting?

I'd rather just find a solution or solder the micro USB port myself, if that's the issue, then I know how to fix it (or others, we have 3) if it happens to theirs. Being without a phone for 8-12 weeks while I wait for a replacement from Asia is not an option, my business requires me access to my phone almost 24/7, I use my phones alot, but I never abuse them. Sending this unit back while its still under Warren is my LAST OPTION if no fix or solution can be found on my own. Self reliance is better than total dependence, if it can be achieved (where applicable).

By the way, congratulations on your new Evo purchase, you're gonna absolutely LOVE THIS PHONE, that is, if you don't fall prey to the USB connectivity flaw! ;)

Here's a YouTube video somebody just did that pretty much sums up what I'm dealing with: YouTube - Sprint HTC EVO 4G USB Charging Port Problem

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
They admitted you were the 14th customer to come in with that problem? I would try a hard reset to rule out a software problem. Also, most credit card companies offer 90 days loss/damage protection as an added benefit.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
They admitted you were the 14th customer to come in with that problem? I would try a hard reset to rule out a software problem. Also, most credit card companies offer 90 days loss/damage protection as an added benefit.

14th customer with the exact same problem from the same exact store? how many thousands of EVO owners visit this forum? how many have seen this problem? what are the odds?

runninghoove

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Gekko said: "we have thousands and thousands of EVO owners here and this is the first i've heard of this issue so i doubt it's a widespread "serious defect flaw".

Thanks for your great advice, but I sense a bit of egotism in your reply, so you can have that back.

Alos, apparently you don't use Google: I am not the only one with this issue, do you honestly think I would not say I AM THE ONLY ONE HAVING THIS ISSUE, if I truly was the only one?? Don't assume I am stupid for what knowledge you lack. LOL!! :p

htc evo won't charge - Google Search
About 166,000 results (0.2 seconds)

runninghoove

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Corey, my VISA offers a 2 year extended-warranty on any electronics device purchased through my DBA, which these phones were. Great advice for other credit cards tho! You Rawk! :)

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't your EVO still charge? I was under the impression you had a data transfer problem, not a charging issue, based on your comment about a standard charger working. I have no doubt your having some sort of issue, but if it were me, I'd go down the hard reset path before anything else.

Reactions: runninghoove

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Corey, my VISA offers a 2 year extended-warranty on any electronics device purchased through my DBA, which these phones were. Great advice for other credit cards tho! You Rawk! :)

14 known customer problems and the Sprint store threw you out on your a$$???

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like the charging port connection is damaged, and a higher voltage charger will allow enough current to pass to trickle charge the phone.

Also sounds like a really good way to burn your house down.

Sprint fought long and hard with many people in the same situation on their BlackBerry 8330's. I would try a different store, and politely not take no for an answer.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Hey OP.... To answer a few of your other questions:

1. To save your contacts... Your contacts should be synced with your "Google" account(if you have one). So when you go through the whole setup proccess, your contacts will just resync.

2. To save your apps... Your payed apps are tied to your Google account. Just go there and goto downloads.

3. To save text.... Search the market, there are a couple of good backup apps.

For things like call history and other user data.... Not sure on that one...

Now if your rooted, just use "Titanium Backup". Just search it on the market, download/install it. And run a full backup. The backup will be saved to your SD card. Do your hardreset, go to the market and redownload Titanium Backup. And run a full restore. Other than setting up a few of your widgets and what not, you'll have your EVO up and running in know time.

That is unless what ever issue your having ends up being caused by an app or something you've downloaded. It may just come back.

Bite the bullet do a hardreset and before you load anything, try out your USB. See if that fixes it.
If it does, kewl..... it's not a hardware issue. Reload your data and apps, if it comes back then it may be a software issue.

Let us know if that helps at all.

runninghoove

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I did find #2 interesting...

------------------------------------------------------
TECHNOLOGY SPOTLIGHT: HTC Evo 4G from Sprint
What Users are Complaining about the Most?

From screen separation to USB charging issues, here are the EVO 4G pitfalls users complain about most, based on 2, 500 HTC Evo users polled.

Looking into the HTC EVO 4G on Sprint? As the current king of the 4G hill, it has certainly earned its stars, but WiMax juggernaut has it’s shortcomings, too. Like the iPhone 4, early adopters ran into a handful of frequent problems with the EVO 4G. Here are the issues any potential buyer will want to be aware of.

1) Poor battery life

Sure, your shiny new EVO 4G will function as a Wi-Fi hotspot, sharing out your 4G signal to up to eight friends and putting iPhones to shame, but you had better find an outlet if you want to keep everyone happy. Although the EVO 4G has roughly the same battery capacity as most other smartphones, heavy 4G use can quickly whittle it down within just hours. It’s not a manufacturing error: Just an unfortunate consequence of pumping data way faster than your 3G peers.

2) Micro USB charging issues

Scores of EVO 4G buyers have reported to have issues charging their phones via the micro USB port. Some say their phones will not charge at all, while others experience intermittent charging issues or PC to phone connection issues. The problem appears to be due to the female microUSB port working its way loose from the motherboard. HTC is aware of the problem as a desgn flaw and will exchange phones within the standard one-year warranty period.

3) Light leakage and glass separation

The 4.3-inch display on the EVO 4G, gorgeous as it is, has had some issues. Early adopters complained that the screens on some phones are not properly sealed, leading to light from the backlight bleeding out, and potentially in the long term, dust build up. HTC claims it has remedied issues at the factory that caused the problem.
Unresponsive touch screens

The EVO 4G uses the same capacitive technology found on devices like the iPhone and Droid, but some users complain the device can become unresponsive when it isn’t grounded (being held in the hand). Check out the demo video below.

Source: YouTube - EVO 4G Screen Issues - Ungrounded Screen
-------------------------------------------------------------------

evoKY

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I've had my EVO since it first launched and haven't had any issues. I doubt this is a serious flaw you've discovered but more of a defect for your particular phone. Just like everyone else has mentioned, warranties are there for a reason.

reynoldsrobbie

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
It also states in #2 that they will replace the phone for you. So why are they turning you away?

"HTC is aware of the problem as a desgn flaw and will exchange phones within the standard one-year warranty period."

Last edited: