PDA Net vs Sprint Hot Spot

jimlloyd40

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I hope this question belongs here. I have read alot of debate about whether PDA Net is legal or a way to steal data vs paying for Sprint Hot Spot. My question is how can Sprint tell which one you are using? Thanks.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
All I can say is I used pdanet for 4 months as my soul source of internet with no issues from Sprint. I figure I'm paying for data, I am going to use it.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i don't think they can tell unless you abuse it. and i don't think they care if you use tethering infrequently and moderately. however - i do think they would frown upon using the hotspot feature without paying for it.

i use about 1GB/month of data on my EVO on Sprint. i use about 20GB/month of data on my primary home PC with my ISP Comcast.

p.s. check out EasyTether too.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm using PdaNet with no problems and so far so good on my MacBook. Some will tell you don't do it and some will tell you everything is fine. You should be okay unless you're racking up data to the amount of running your households computer network off of your phone. Its a touchy subject: does it or doesn't it breach your cellular phones contract. I've been tethering for over 5 years without a problem. I doubt they will take you to court. Don't worry you're good to go. Just don't go too crazy.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Is there any legal speak in our contract that says we can't? I know they offer the service, but are we forbidden to do it ourselves outside of that? Never read all the tiny legal print.

If it was illegal, would that make VoIP calls illegal too? You aren't using your minutes that they sold/can sell you.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
That's where the controversy comes in. Its the fine print that could be misleading. You should be fine. Tethering companies would have been banned by now.

gasgeek

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Since Easytether was mentioned earlier, is it me or has someone else tried to pay for the full version and been unable to do so as their web page never opens up ??

Var

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
why would sprint charge you? it's not like it used to be with a 5gig cap, isn't that why we pay the EXTRA 10 bucks a month? for true unlimited data? and roaming of course.

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
"Var
why would sprint charge you? it's not like it used to be with a 5gig cap, isn't that why we pay the EXTRA 10 bucks a month? for true unlimited data? and roaming of course. "

i agree but my question is tethering via a usb cable is ok but mobile hotspot isnt ??????? so am i ok tethering from time to time for free or is it gonna charge me to tether???? THANKS in advance

jimlloyd40

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all of the responses but no one really answered my question. Can Sprint or any cell phone company tell which you are using[PDA Net or hot spot? Or can they even tell whether you are just accessing data on your phone vs a computer. If they can only tell if you are accessing data period then why all the debate on what is legal if they can't tell?

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
No sprint cannot tell, in order for them to tell they would have to look into your personal info, which, is illeagal.

Ive been rooted from the start and tether (wifi/usb) all the time. No problems.

Reactions: jimlloyd40

garciaop

May 18, 2010
Visit site
last month a used 65 gigabates of data using my ex palm pre nad i didnt get a single warning from sprint so i guess everything is great and sprint is truly unlimited

SurfXtraDog

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I have used PDA Net and my EVO to LiveStream a dog sport (Flyball) these tournaments run like 8-10 hours each day Sat and Sunday. My Data usage is astonomical when I do this......not one word from Sprint and not a extra penny either (still get my discount too):p. I doubt I'd ever use the Hotspot because of battery. By using the tether my phone stays charged. I've been able to do this since I got my EVO....could not LiveSteam on my BB the processor could not handle the speed needed. I LOVE my EVO!!!:cool:

ernbrdn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Honestly I think it all comes down to if you can live with it, do it. I was in a Sprint corporate store today, and I actually overheard the salesperson telling a lady to download PDANet free from the market and use it to tether instead of shelling out the 30 extra dollars for the Mobile Hotspot. This by no means makes it golden, but it does sort of enlighten me into how these people think.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol