Factory reset->Unrevoked->Evo hangs>installing anything

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Okay I am down to two problems as of now.

ONE:
When I run TB it says I am not rooted and to make sure BusyBox is installed so any advice on this issue now... <sigh>
I have went through all of the Unrevoked3 steps 3 times and am unsure what to do now....
I have a superuser app and if I reboot the phone into HBOOT it says S-OFF at the top so it should be rooted. What step did I miss? It worked before the factory reset....

EDIT SOLVED: I solved Titanium backups problem by selecting the problems box and downloading busybox from it.

TWO:
There is something weird on my SD card that is making anything I try to install hang where it just says "installing" or if I pull up the applications manager it just says calculating etc... if I boot without the SD card it is fine. The SD card seems to be able to be read just fine and no errors on it.

I put my old 16GB one in and installed an app and it worked so something on the 32Gb one got corrupted, so any idea what on the card would cause the market issues so I can fix it?
I put the SD card back in and tried to install something and it again hangs.. Does anyone know what files or directories could be messed up that would cause this?

-------------------------
I am leaving the rest here for reference
----original message-----

Man I am having a bad phone day.
For information sake I am rooted with Unrevoked3. I purchased Titanium Backup Pro and have a current "all apps and settings" backup.

So what happened was this: First I was simply trying to update my programs from the market App
They got stalled and I tried canceling them and restarting them etc.. No luck so I turned the phone off and back on.

After that none of my programs on the SD card could be accessed yet I could use ANDExplorer and see the SD cards contents. Everytime I tried to install anything it just sits there saying installing. Same with an uninstall even apps in internal memory.

I pulled the SD card and checked it out on a PC reader and it seems fine. No errors on a disk check. Put it back in, same issues.I can not get it to mount as a drive either, nothing comes up even after waiting a few min as I usually do.

So after a lot of playing around, rebooting and trying to get it to do something out of desperation I did a reset back to factory. I figured I have a Titanium Backup Pro backup so I should be able to restore most of it at least.

I restored it, and the system says I am still at 2.2, but now I am trying to re-download Titanium Backup Pro and it is again stuck installing... it just sits there with no progress beyond the download. during the install process it is just hanging. It also hangs trying to compute the sizes in apps that report size, cache etc.. like Donwload manager which I tried clearing the cache but is just says computing..

Why is it doing this even after a factory reset? I am unsure what else to do now.

I also tried re flashing the Unrevoked3 but that made no difference. The SD card should not be effecting it as I am trying to install internally right?

I am at a loss as for what to do to get this back. What is making it just hang on trying to install anything even after a reset??

Last edited:

pjwatson104

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I've been having issues with downloads lagging as well.. UnrEVOked here too... Didn't start doing that until I rooted... I just cancel and redownload and it usually works.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Okay I am down to two problems as of now.

ONE:
When I run TB it says I am not rooted and to make sure BusyBox is installed so any advice on this issue now... <sigh>
I have went through all of the Unrevoked3 steps 3 times and am unsure what to do now....
I have a superuser app and if I reboot the phone into HBOOT it says S-OFF at the top so it should be rooted. What step did I miss? It worked before the factory reset....

TWO:
There is something weird on my SD card that is making anything I try to install hang where it just says "installing" or if I pull up the applications manager it just says calculating etc... if I boot without the SD card it is fine. The SD card seems to be able to be read just fine and no errors on it.

I put my old 16GB one in and installed an app and it worked so something on the 32Gb one got corrupted, so any idea what on the card would cause the market issues so I can fix it?
I put the SD card back in and tried to install something and it again hangs.. Does anyone know what files or directories could be messed up that would cause this?

You're S-OFF so you can install a custom ROM through recovery. As in put the file on your SD card, reboot inrecovery, wipe your data (system, data, cache, sd-ext, sdcard/.androidsecure, dalvik) and choose the zip file to install.

Once you flash a rooted ROM you'll have root. - I don't use unrevoked so I'm not sure where you're at really.

As far as the SD card thing, it is an issue for non-rooted Evo's as well (i run cm6.1.1 and my g/f is on stock and she got it).

What I did to fix it was power down the phone, remove the sd card, power up, go to the market and install an app to internal storage (angry birds in this case), then powered down, re-installed the sd card and went back to market to make sure it would still download and install and it did. I've heard others had to dump their SDcard data to their PC, then properly partition it, format it and then copy their data back to get it better for them.

-------------------------
I am leaving the rest here for reference
----original message-----

Man I am having a bad phone day.
For information sake I am rooted with Unrevoked3. I purchased Titanium Backup Pro and have a current "all apps and settings" backup.

So what happened was this: First I was simply trying to update my programs from the market App
They got stalled and I tried canceling them and restarting them etc.. No luck so I turned the phone off and back on.

After that none of my programs on the SD card could be accessed yet I could use ANDExplorer and see the SD cards contents. Everytime I tried to install anything it just sits there saying installing. Same with an uninstall even apps in internal memory.

I pulled the SD card and checked it out on a PC reader and it seems fine. No errors on a disk check. Put it back in, same issues.I can not get it to mount as a drive either, nothing comes up even after waiting a few min as I usually do.

So after a lot of playing around, rebooting and trying to get it to do something out of desperation I did a reset back to factory. I figured I have a Titanium Backup Pro backup so I should be able to restore most of it at least.

I restored it, and the system says I am still at 2.2, but now I am trying to re-download Titanium Backup Pro and it is again stuck installing... it just sits there with no progress beyond the download. during the install process it is just hanging. It also hangs trying to compute the sizes in apps that report size, cache etc.. like Donwload manager which I tried clearing the cache but is just says computing..

Why is it doing this even after a factory reset? I am unsure what else to do now.

I also tried re flashing the Unrevoked3 but that made no difference. The SD card should not be effecting it as I am trying to install internally right?

I am at a loss as for what to do to get this back. What is making it just hang on trying to install anything even after a reset??

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I copied everything to the PC, formatted the card and restored all files. It still hangs on installing anything. Even going to manage applications it is just stuck saying "Computing" for the programs I did get on there in internal storage.

My only question left now is what files on the SD card would effect the system at all if it is just storage? Why is is trying to compute differently with the SD card in than if it wasn't if those were installed internally?

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I copied everything to the PC, formatted the card and restored all files. It still hangs on installing anything. Even going to manage applications it is just stuck saying "Computing" for the programs I did get on there in internal storage.

My question is what files on the SD card would effect those at all if it is just storage? Why is is trying to compute differently with the SD card in than if it wasn't if those were installed internally?

You know on the way to work I was thinking about how I fixed this and I had to actually re-partition the SD Card, I put a sd-ext on it and a swap partition on it. I just did this on my phone using Rom Manager but I'm not sure how to do it in Windows or w/out rom manager on a non rooted phone, anyone?

Reactions: Paladin

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Well I figured it out I think. Even though I was installing to the internal memory the .android_secure folder must still have something to do with it. I just renamed it to old.android_secure and let the phone create a new one.

I think it may be okay now. That folder seemed fine and I could see all the files okay. That must have been what got corrupted in the first place.

I am just thankful that I backup my SD card regularly and perform a Titanium Backup on a regular schedule.

I am restoring now but at least it seems fine.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Awesome!

Well I figured it out I think. Even though I was installing to the internal memory the .android_secure folder must still have something to do with it. I just renamed it to old.android_secure and let the phone create a new one.

I think it may be okay now. That folder seemed fine and I could see all the files okay. That must have been what got corrupted in the first place.

I am just thankful that I backup my SD card regularly and perform a Titanium Backup on a regular schedule.

I am restoring now but at least it seems fine.

Thanks for the help!