PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT - HTC Update and Factory Reset

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to post this in its own thread so that it doesn't become buried in the official update thread. This is some advice for everyone who has already received the update or will be updating soon. I posted a similar thread a few months ago, but as I mentioned I wanted this in its own thread so that it doesn't get buried.

It has been my experience (and others') that doing a factory reset right after an update will greatly improve the performance of your device. I HIGHLY recommend it. It isn't a bad idea to do it every few months anyway, but after an update it seems to help get the phone working like new again.

Regarding the reset itself, there are other threads out there that explain how you should do it as well as what else you should do prior. Similar to reformatting a PC, you will want to save/backup everything that you want to keep. Note that only the phone's internal storage is wiped, not the SD card.

Reactions: vel7wil

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Good idea, I do this to my girl's stock Evo after every OTA.

To Reset, you go to menu from the home screen and select privacy, I believe it's under there.

As well it should be noted that if you're not using Google to hold your contacts, you can export them to your SD card from the contacts app (when you import them back in you can actually choose to import them as google contacts if you want).

Also, there are a few apps that will backup your SMS messages to your Google account, I use Google voice and I'm not sure if Handcent or ChompSMS have backup functions built in or not.

As far as apps go, if you're no Froyo now (have received all the OTAs thus far) and let Google backup your data and select to automatically update apps, they should start re-installing on their own (with any app data, like bookmarks for dolphin HD, or levels on angry birds) when you sign back in after a factory reset. (should also be able to remember wifi networks, passwords, wallpapers, etc.)

Hope that helps.

gasgeek

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Should we even update ?? I lost about 50MB of space and got some bloatware and swype.... is it worth wasting that precious space for them ??

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Will it force download and install like the webos updates would? I am on the swype beta team and I already own a copy of Nova... Don't really need either one of those.

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
i don't have any performance issues. i'm not convinced that a factory reset is necessary. placebo effect?

:) Could be, but perception is reality and it definitely seemed to help in the past. The defrag analogy is a good one, which is why I think doing it every few months keeps it fresh. No doubt that things will get messy again eventually. Regardless, I wanted to throw this out there for people who may be having performance issues.

Ironic as it may seem, this update (now that I have it) is kind of pushing me to root as I have zero need for the new apps that it brought and its borderline offensive to me that they can't be removed from the stock phone.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If I do a factory reset, do I need to redownload all my apps?

Yup, if you're on froyo now and let Google backup your data and select automatic updates in the market for the apps you have the Evo will download the apps automatically after a little of time once you reboot.

Any apps you bought will be under "downloads" (old market) or "my apps" (new market) as well.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You realize that theres a new kernel in it along with other updates and upgrades.

Google z4 root, install it and gain temporary root access, then use root explorer from the market to remove the bloat.

Problem solved.

Reactions: LikeAChampion3

bucko21

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a stupid question.. I keep reading about if I am on Froyo I can let Google back up my apps and contacts, I got the contacts part no problem. BUT how do I let Google back up my apps? I have been using Appbrain to do that, if there is another way I would love to hear it..

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a stupid question.. I keep reading about if I am on Froyo I can let Google back up my apps and contacts, I got the contacts part no problem. BUT how do I let Google back up my apps? I have been using Appbrain to do that, if there is another way I would love to hear it..

Yup. Under privacy there should be something like "backup my data" & "automatic restore" - I also have my apps set to allow automatic update, not sure if this affects it or not as I've never changed it.

Reactions: bucko21

LikeAChampion3

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You realize that theres a new kernel in it along with other updates and upgrades.

Google z4 root, install it and gain temporary root access, then use root explorer from the market to remove the bloat.

Problem solved.

I assume that z4 will work with the new Evo update? I had no idea that "temporary" root was available, I am really mostly interested in getting rid of the bloat, that was my driving reason to consider rooting

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I am sure you all know this but solid state disk does not have any concept of fragmentation or any need for defragmentation.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12