New EVO update and Swype

Mikey

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Forgive me if this has been answered. The thread about the update seems to be getting pretty lengthy and I have been all over my phone and can't seem to find the answer.

How do you switch between the Swype keyboard and the regular Touch keyboard. I found the settings for the two but I'm not seeing the option to switch between them. I thought maybe you just used the keyboard and it worked either way. I was wrong. I tried the beta and it was something to get used to so I wanna try and learn it but after the update it was on the Touch keyboard. If someone could point me this out. I am handing out a thank you point to the person with the first correct answer. :)

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
When you are at a text input field (like the body of a text message or a text box in a form), touch and hold your finger on the text field until you get a popup. Select "Input method" from the popup.

You will then get a choice of the available keyboards.

If you installed any off the market or manually, you will have to enable them by checking the box next to their name in the:
"Settings>Languate & keyboard" menu.

Reactions: Mikey

Mikey

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
just go to send a text message, enter the person name then in the message area touch the box and hold for 3 seconds. A message will appear for you to select which method you'd like to use. simple as that.

Long press on an active text window. Input methods will pop up and you choose swype. You then get to enjoy the best keyboard I have ever used. :)

When you are at a text input field (like the body of a text message or a text box in a form), touch and hold your finger on the text field until you get a popup. Select "Input method" from the popup.

You will then get a choice of the available keyboards.

If you installed any off the market or manually, you will have to enable them by checking the box next to their name in the:
"Settings>Languate & keyboard" menu.

I will give thanks to all 3 of you. pteezay, NDchem2014 you guys pretty much answered at the same time. I got the push gmail at the same time on my EVO so thanks to you both. illwood thank you to you because that was my next question regarding the other keyboards. That explains why I couldn't find it where it normally is supposed to be. Thank for the speedy response.

vtrsp2

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
although i like that you can pick which keyboard you want to use in an app by long pressing, i would have thought that it would have made sense to be able to choose what keyboard you want by going into the keyboard settings also.

Mikey

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
although i like that you can pick which keyboard you want to use in an app by long pressing, i would have thought that it would have made sense to be able to choose what keyboard you want by going into the keyboard settings also.

True but I find that handy. I wish all the keyboards could be switched like that. Sometimes I wanna actually type when I am typing a rather long text conversation. I have a buddy with an iPhone (Sorry for the cussing) he refuses to talk on the phone at all. He does everything by text. I'm faster at typing for now then swyping although I hope to change that. So we text in rather long text. Other times Swype is nice for lazy short burst types especially for like the all shined down on driving. So the ability to switch without having to back out and go into settings is nice.

Not to derail but it's about the only thing in the update that was worth it. I read in a couple areas around the net that a few people reported some better battery life but I'm not optimistic. Those could just be rumor post.

I'm just glad to see an official swype and an update. I'll be even happier with a Gingerbread update. :)

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
only the beta version of Swype was that way, I feel the long press method is much more convient (even though you could choose b/w beta swype and touch input as well)

RBorden629

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Having the same issue with swipe, I was running the legal beta of swipe, I didn't uninstall it before the HTC system update. Now after the up date swipe keeps wanting to force close. Dam I even tried taking the battery out nothing changes. the swipe keeps force closing. What a real bummer and i loved swipe!!!!! Any help guys & girls...
Thanks!!!

aleibas9

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
yikes help

So I am still new to Swype and not fast with it at all, but how do you get double letters?..............like the words 'speed', 'flood, etc. :eek:

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
^^there is a tutorial within Swype itself, but to do double letters do a loop on the letter you want to do, or you can sort of do a double scribble on the letter

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Having the same issue with swipe, I was running the legal beta of swipe, I didn't uninstall it before the HTC system update. Now after the up date swipe keeps wanting to force close. Dam I even tried taking the battery out nothing changes. the swipe keeps force closing. What a real bummer and i loved swipe!!!!! Any help guys & girls...
Thanks!!!
if you did indeed uninstall Swype (you also need to uninstall the Swype installer) then youre only option at this point seems to be a factory data reset

JohnAlpha

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks!!!

I didn't experience this first hand, but as per this AC post you should just need to uninstall the beta and then reboot your phone:

http://www.androidcentral.com/swype...-users-need-uninstall-beta-latest-ota-upgrade

noshooz

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
DOnt like this Swype.... its keep mess up or it just me sloppy ???

There's a learning curve to using Swype. You *must* take the tutorial to start out. It helped me immensely. I didn't think much of Swype at first, but the more you use it, the more you'll enjoy using it.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
After using slide it keyboard for a while now,then trying swype,not even close. If you want a slide your finger type keyboard slide it is so much better.

Sent using taptalk.

Klubhead

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
So I am still new to Swype and not fast with it at all, but how do you get double letters?..............like the words 'speed', 'flood, etc. :eek:

you do a little scribble on whatever you want to type twice, you would swype from S to P to E then shake you're finger back and forth a tiny bit, then swype to D..

hope that helps

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad