3.70.651.1 and 4G lag question

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think any other solution other than a better/stronger network connection could fix this problem.

g_b_h

May 15, 2010
Visit site
The "4G lag" issue I'm referrring to has nothing to do with 4 speeds. It is a well-documented issue.

It refers to the phone becoming very slow (almost unusable) after enabling 4G, then disabling 4G. I typically have to reboot to get the phone back to its usual snappy performance.

For me, it occurs every time I enable 4g, so basically, I never enable 4g any more.

I just wanted to know if anyone else who is having this issue is seeing it fixed with the new update.

NDchem2014

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
From what I can tell, it has cleared up the issue somewhat. I don't live in a 4G area but when I used to toggled 4G, my phone would lag and have to be restarted to be usable again. Now, I can toggle 4G, look for a network and have it tell me that there is no connection and to rescan if I want without my phone becoming unusable. I can then turn 4G back off and the phone remains usable with no noticeable lag.. I believe that the new "tap to scan" step has stopped the phone from constantly look for 4G signal, resulting in the lag issue being cleared up. I could be wrong though, I haven't really played with it enough to know if the lag has gone away (I only tried it twice after the update).

I hope this helps.

Reactions: g_b_h

daru1

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, seems to have helped a lot. I actually updated over 4g, and when the phone reset, it started with 4g. Worked without lag all day, and after I disabled it, no lag. I turned it back on earlier today, and no lag still. Just hoping the other shoe doesn't drop on this one.

Reactions: g_b_h

dreamer3kx

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't fix the 4G continuous scan though after turning off 4G, same thing, continues to scan for a 4G connection when turned off, draining battery.

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, this is interesting because in the main thread for this new update there were a number of people claiming that the 4g lag problem was not fixed. In fact I have not bothered to update my EVO yet because of this. But after reading this thread maybe I will...

g_b_h

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, this is interesting because in the main thread for this new update there were a number of people claiming that the 4g lag problem was not fixed. In fact I have not bothered to update my EVO yet because of this. But after reading this thread maybe I will...

I just completed the update. For me, the 4G lag issue appears to be fixed. I'm at home, and typically just use wifi. But, I've only turned 4G on and off a few times now, and have not experienced any phone slow down at all.

Can't make any statements about 4G and battery life improvements yet, but the new 4G scan notification appears to let you leave 4G on, and NOT scan until you manually select it, and then it appears to scan pretty quickly, much quicker that the slow turn-on delay of the 4G radio.

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
A tip I read early on that I use regularly: when I use 4G, I turn off Mobile Data - 3G. It still sometimes lags a little when first turning on 4G, but overall the phone works well once connected. I am in a 1-2bar 4G area.

CaptGeno

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
i had the problem, and i read that if you use the widget...that will cause lag, but when i go into my wireless settings and enable 4g there, i get no lag, hope it helps :)

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Well, after 24 hours of having 4g enabled (with the new rom) I don't seem to have any lag problems. Maybe that update did fix it. :) Battery drain when idle is still terrible though. Even though the lag fix is great, I still find that Wimax is unusable on a day-to-day basis because the battery drain is so bad. I'm very curious to see if LTE is better in this regard. I have this funny feeling it will be...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC