So, this had been discussed a little in some other threads, where some people are having issues with battery drainage after the update. My battery would only last about have a long as it use to prior to the update and it was driving me crazy. I called sprint but they were no help. I did make sure to ask them to pass this issue along to the proper people so that it might get resolved.

One thing i noticed after the update was that the 4g toggle on my Switch Pro widget would toggle on/off by itself each time i rebooted. So as my phone booted up it would toggle the 4g on, then toggle off and go to 3g after. Never noticed this before prior to the update. This got me curious so i d/l'd Alogcat to see what was happening after my phone booted up. It keep displaying that my phone was trying to connect to 4g even when 4g was shut off. I removed the 4g toggle from my switch pro and rebooted after taking out the battery for a little bit. The constant searching for 4g went away and my battery life went back to normal. Actually, it seems better now than pre-update. Decided to try 4g again using the htc widget and turned it on and used it for a bit, then turned it off. Checked alogcat and the same 4g scanning keep appearing and my battery when to hell. Had to reboot, taking the battery out for a bit, to make it go away.

So once 4g is activated, it never actually shuts off and just keeps trying to scan, eating away at the battery. This really pisses me off because we are all paying extra to be able to use this feature and all it does is make the phone die on us. Is there anyway to bring this to sprint/htc attention. If they can fix this issue then 4g may actually be usable. As of now, im afraid to use 4g at all because it just kills the battery. I dont remember it being this bad prior to the update.

Anyways, i hope this helps some people because its damn frustrating.
    12-23-2010 01:07 PM
    My wife's Evo (completely stock) is on 3.70.651.1 (latest OTA) and her battery is fine.

My Evo is on a rooted version of that same OTA and I leave 4G on ALL the time and get about 10-12 hours of battery out of it.

You may have some app installed that's causing the problem. Have you tried a factory reset?
    12-23-2010 03:00 PM
    I believe the problem you're having with your battery is - the constant searching your phone is doing for a 4g connection. You should update your data connection. Menu > settings > software updates. There you should update all.
    Note: Depending on where you are, your 4g connection might not work properly.

Best of luck.
    12-23-2010 03:25 PM
    thanks for the replies. i guess this is not happening to most people then. everytime i switch on 4g then shut it off, it continues to search. i have not tried a factory reset yet but that may be the next step. im wondering if Switch Pro is causing the problems. I live in vegas and have decent 4g signal in places. what is upsetting is that everything was fine prior to the update.
    12-23-2010 04:58 PM
    So, this had been discussed a little in some other threads, where some people are having issues with battery drainage after the update. My battery would only last about have a long as it use to prior to the update and it was driving me crazy. I called sprint but they were no help. I did make sure to ask them to pass this issue along to the proper people so that it might get resolved.

One thing i noticed after the update was that the 4g toggle on my Switch Pro widget would toggle on/off by itself each time i rebooted. So as my phone booted up it would toggle the 4g on, then toggle off and go to 3g after. Never noticed this before prior to the update. This got me curious so i d/l'd Alogcat to see what was happening after my phone booted up. It keep displaying that my phone was trying to connect to 4g even when 4g was shut off. I removed the 4g toggle from my switch pro and rebooted after taking out the battery for a little bit. The constant searching for 4g went away and my battery life went back to normal. Actually, it seems better now than pre-update. Decided to try 4g again using the htc widget and turned it on and used it for a bit, then turned it off. Checked alogcat and the same 4g scanning keep appearing and my battery when to hell. Had to reboot, taking the battery out for a bit, to make it go away.

So once 4g is activated, it never actually shuts off and just keeps trying to scan, eating away at the battery. This really pisses me off because we are all paying extra to be able to use this feature and all it does is make the phone die on us. Is there anyway to bring this to sprint/htc attention. If they can fix this issue then 4g may actually be usable. As of now, im afraid to use 4g at all because it just kills the battery. I dont remember it being this bad prior to the update.

Anyways, i hope this helps some people because its damn frustrating.
    I have 4G unchecked in my settings and no widget on my homescreens. There is no 4G in this area so there is no need to have any of that "junk" on or running at all. It makes no difference. Still crap battery life. The people who have poor battery life from this OTA far exceed the ones that don't. As far as I am concerned I dealt with the battery life I had before. This is just pi@@ poor. I've had my way with Sprint before and I think after the holiday it's time to do it again. I'm generally happy with Sprint but this is just bs. Took a not so good situation that you can make the best of and make it poor with bloatware and even worse battery life.
    12-23-2010 05:27 PM
    I've actually had the best battery life ever with my EVO recently post update. Now that said, there were a few things in play for this, so I don't know which piece actually got my battery performance to where I would expect with the phone.

First, when the OTA update came out, I had some issues with it and almost bricked my phone trying an outdated RUU. After some searching, I had to use the latest image file to get my phone up and running. Since I didn't have phone access for a few hours on the night, I might as well try some battery remedies I found on XDA while trying to get my phone to work.

So here is the process which essentially resets the battery cache I believe.

Official response from HTC RE: How to double battery Life (WORKS!) + 2nd Reply - xda-developers
    acedanger likes this.
    12-23-2010 08:34 PM
    I've actually had the best battery life ever with my EVO recently post update. Now that said, there were a few things in play for this, so I don't know which piece actually got my battery performance to where I would expect with the phone.

First, when the OTA update came out, I had some issues with it and almost bricked my phone trying an outdated RUU. After some searching, I had to use the latest image file to get my phone up and running. Since I didn't have phone access for a few hours on the night, I might as well try some battery remedies I found on XDA while trying to get my phone to work.

So here is the process which essentially resets the battery cache I believe.

Official response from HTC RE: How to double battery Life (WORKS!) + 2nd Reply - xda-developers
    Your talking about a rooted Evo so I don't think the battery complaints apply. I believe they are mostly on stock Evo's such as mine. I haven't rooted mine because of two reasons. One I got one of the harder to root hboots and two I am pretty hard on phones and worried about getting nailed if I must file on insurance. Although rooting is looking better everyday. I've started looking into it.
    12-23-2010 09:07 PM
    Actually, I had the same battery issues with unrevoked root as full stock. I no longer have root, I am on a full stock ROM only at this point.
    12-23-2010 09:53 PM
    Actually, I had the same battery issues with unrevoked root as full stock. I no longer have root, I am on a full stock ROM only at this point.
    Your one of the lucky ones.
    12-23-2010 10:45 PM
    Alright, I'm going to try and explain what I think is happening. Is this the same log entry you are seeing?

I/Wimax ( 112): <DC> Try to establish a connection to DC server.
    E/Wimax ( 112): <DC CONNECT> IO error: msg='/127.0.0.1:7771 - Connection refused'

When you run 4G for the first time after a reboot, it starts an interface (DC Server) and a client that connects to that interface that enables the bridge between the 4G radio and the OS. Then you later turn 4G off, the interface is powered down, however the client still periodically tries to connect to the interface, that way the client does not have to be shutdown and restarted.

The client uses VERY little battery, the simple operation it is doing would probably consume 1% of battery over an entire week. Should the client be shutdown? Probably, but starting and restarting it constantly for people that turn 4G on and off all day could possibly use more battery and would increase the time it takes to turn 4G on. Is it the cause of your battery drain? Probably not.

Just my opinion based on some investigation that I did, hope it helps.

EDIT: Just did a Google search to confirm my suspicion and it looks like I'm right, it's not the 4G client that is draining your battery, people here (see the graph) have done some tests. http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/187322
    12-24-2010 01:50 AM
    Your talking about a rooted Evo so I don't think the battery complaints apply. I believe they are mostly on stock Evo's such as mine. I haven't rooted mine because of two reasons. One I got one of the harder to root hboots and two I am pretty hard on phones and worried about getting nailed if I must file on insurance. Although rooting is looking better everyday. I've started looking into it.
    There's new kernels out right now that provides undervolting and crazy battery tweaks. Going thru the pains of rooting w/ ur hboot is still worth it.
    12-24-2010 03:32 AM
    Thanks for this info. That's exactly what I'm seeing in alogcat. It pops up around every 5 secs. What's weird is that once I removed the 4g switch from my Switchpro widget, and stopped my phone from scanning continuously, my battery life substantially improved.
    After you use 4g do you see that message repeatedly every few secs? And sometimes non stop? Yesterday, after I stopped the scanning I had 50% after about 12 hours of normal use.
    If its not what caused the problem do you have any ideas what it could have been?

Alright, I'm going to try and explain what I think is happening. Is this the same log entry you are seeing?

I/Wimax ( 112): <DC> Try to establish a connection to DC server.
    E/Wimax ( 112): <DC CONNECT> IO error: msg='/127.0.0.1:7771 - Connection refused'

When you run 4G for the first time after a reboot, it starts an interface (DC Server) and a client that connects to that interface that enables the bridge between the 4G radio and the OS. Then you later turn 4G off, the interface is powered down, however the client still periodically tries to connect to the interface, that way the client does not have to be shutdown and restarted.

The client uses VERY little battery, the simple operation it is doing would probably consume 1% of battery over an entire week. Should the client be shutdown? Probably, but starting and restarting it constantly for people that turn 4G on and off all day could possibly use more battery and would increase the time it takes to turn 4G on. Is it the cause of your battery drain? Probably not.

Just my opinion based on some investigation that I did, hope it helps.

EDIT: Just did a Google search to confirm my suspicion and it looks like I'm right, it's not the 4G client that is draining your battery, people here (see the graph) have done some tests. HTC EVO 4G:Evo battery draining faster after update
    12-24-2010 11:43 AM
    My Fiance and I are both having horrible battery issues since the latest update. Its really bad. My battery life went from 12 hours or normal use to under 6. Her's is doing the exact same thing. These are both stock non-rooted evos.
    12-24-2010 03:13 PM
    Today I woke up around 10 30 (phone fully charged) to do some last minute shopping and now its 2 30 and I have 2 bars left this has never happen. Any ideas?
    12-24-2010 03:39 PM
    Running Fresh 3.5.0.1 and only getting 4 hours when on 3.4.0.1 i was getting 10-12. My usage hasnt changed just the software version im running.
    12-27-2010 08:55 AM
    Running Fresh 3.5.0.1 and only getting 4 hours when on 3.4.0.1 i was getting 10-12. My usage hasnt changed just the software version im running.
    what has changed from the two software versions?
    12-27-2010 09:24 AM
    I have not done the update yet but things to look for are to see if any settings that u previously turned off are back on I.e. gtalk, 4g, sync frequency, always on mobile data etc. Check those and make sure all of ur apps are updated

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    12-27-2010 02:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD