How do I stop these processes from running all darn day?

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I believe that some application can be be force stop by long press then stop, however, some applications are meant to keep running in the backgrounds for the phone to function properly - and should not be tampered with.

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I believe that some application can be be force stop by long press then stop, however, some applications are meant to keep running in the backgrounds for the phone to function properly - and should not be tampered with.

Well those applications obviously don't need to run continuously.

Sent From Tapatalk.

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Well those applications obviously don't need to run continuously.

...and they probably aren't, at least as we normally use the word "running". They're loaded in memory, waiting for a trigger that would bring them into action. If the memory is needed for something else and they're not actually executing, the Android system will overwrite them with extreme prejudice by whatever needs the memory.

Your phone has a LOT of memory. The Android system is going to USE it by loading stuff it (rightly or wrongly) thinks you might use, to make response time faster. There's essentially no performance cost of doing this, and often a performance benefit. If it guessed wrong, it just loads what you actually need overtop of something that isn't being used. If it guessed right, you get instant response.

Unless you know what you're doing (and maybe not even then) trying to second guess what Android loads is just going to slow your phone down. Force something to quit that Android really wants to load and you're going to consume MORE battery when Android reloads it.

Unlike WinMo, Android has very good memory management. Don't worry about this stuff unless your phone becomes very laggy (which would be a sign of some program using lots of CPU time due to some bug or weird circumstance).

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
...and they probably aren't, at least as we normally use the word "running". They're loaded in memory, waiting for a trigger that would bring them into action. If the memory is needed for something else and they're not actually executing, the Android system will overwrite them with extreme prejudice by whatever needs the memory.

Your phone has a LOT of memory. The Android system is going to USE it by loading stuff it (rightly or wrongly) thinks you might use, to make response time faster. There's essentially no performance cost of doing this, and often a performance benefit. If it guessed wrong, it just loads what you actually need overtop of something that isn't being used. If it guessed right, you get instant response.

Unless you know what you're doing (and maybe not even then) trying to second guess what Android loads is just going to slow your phone down. Force something to quit that Android really wants to load and you're going to consume MORE battery when Android reloads it.

Unlike WinMo, Android has very good memory management. Don't worry about this stuff unless your phone becomes very laggy (which would be a sign of some program using lots of CPU time due to some bug or weird circumstance).

I never use Sprint voicemail or maps rate it. Hence I had a problem see them constantly load up all the time. And they are both displayed under running services so I assumed they were actually running considering the name of the path....
Sent From Tapatalk.

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Think about it like this you have this big memory space it uses battery no matter what so the Android system knowing this fills the space with things it thinks you might use. If the space is needed it will use it for what ever programs it needs to. If you kill a program android systems will refill the space with what ever it thinks you will use you have no control over what it opens but what ever it does does not cost you any resources. The battery, memory, whatever is going to be used anyways if you try to fight it with say some sport of task killer or by closing things yourself you are actually using mores resources

Later
Dave

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I never use Sprint voicemail or maps rate it. Hence I had a problem see them constantly load up all the time. And they are both displayed under running services so I assumed they were actually running considering the name of the path....
Sent From Tapatalk.

Happy holidays Jason, I just want to add to what our other members had mentioned. In a whole Android is built to run efficiently self sustained reguardless of what is running or not android utilizes the memory the same way so unless the application is constantly polling such as an email app that is constantly looking for new mail, or an RSS feed looking for news for you then it usually isnt using more resources than needed. Lets say you open an application that requires more resources, Android will assess what app is being used the least and shut it down to make the resources needed available.

I hope that helps a little. but i know its tough to change our Paradigm from what we are use to. I know how you feel cause i felt the same way, then i found that the more i tried to stop these processes the more harm i was doing.
i hope you have a happy new year

Edit. Sorry Dave i didnt see you jumped in there i wrote it up and didnt send till just now lol

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Ahh I see. Thanks guys. I was just wondering why they kept running. Now i know. Great explanations. I really appreciate it all.

So for example, apps like zumodrive don't properly close when you try to close it. Is it advisable that I close it myself or just leave it running?
Sent From Tapatalk.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Ahh I see. Thanks guys. I was just wondering why they kept running. Now i know. Great explanations. I really appreciate it all.

So for example, apps like zumodrive don't properly close when you try to close it. Is it advisable that I close it myself or just leave it running?
Sent From Tapatalk.

Its advisable not to use a task killer, and don't worry about killing anything. Its not hurting your battery android handles tasks, multitasking and services VERY well.

enzie5454

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
So anything that is in the "running services" leave alone? Even pvt and drm services? Aren't those related to the blockbuster app, which I never use? I do, however, turn off the ebay notification and tango in "running services".

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Download the System Panel app. It will show you all the apps resident in memory, and how much cpu they have used.

If the cpu usage for an app doesn't keep going up over time, it's just sitting in memory and not doing anything. If, however, the cpu usage keeps climbing over time, then the app is really running in the background, and you may want to exit/close it manually.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
How do I stop the map rate and voicemail from running all day? Map rate keeps running all day now after I updated the new maps.
ScreenShot.png picture by emmanuel08023254598 - Photobucket

ScreenShot.png picture by emmanuel08023254598 - Photobucket
Sent From Tapatalk.

I'm sure you were enlightened in this thread with a running process versus one loaded in memory. However, I removed Voicemail and Navigation completely on my phone.

Myn's doesn't come with Sprint Navigation by default, it's optional. Voicemail I removed with Titanium Backup because I use GVoice exclusively.