Have to pay for Warranty Exchange?

shawnluke05

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
So after many issues and numerous times at the Sprint store, they finally decided I could get a warranty exchange on my EVO.

However, since I don't have the Total Equipment Protection, they are telling me I have to pay $35.00 to get a warranty exchange.

Has anyone else had to pay this fee? Is this something new?

Happy Holidays

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Started on Oct 23rd if I remember correctly. Sprint no longer covers the manufacturer warranty.

You can call HTC and deal with them if you want to avoid the $35 fee.

Reactions: shawnluke05

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Geez, what a rip-off. Sprint demands exclusive rights to the Evo, but then doesn't honor the warranty.

You're probably stuck, but I'd make it clear to Sprint that when your contract is up they can take your phone and shove it up their corporate.....

RickMG

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
What I would do is wait until the $35 shows up online and then call Sprint CS. Tell them that you had so much trouble with the phone that you don't believe it's right that they charge you because Sprint had to replace it (and remember, be nice, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar). They will usually just say they agree with you and credit the account. Personally, Sprint has the exlusive but they are subsidizing the phone for you in the first place and any problems should be on HTC's dime, but I've also found that almost all problems I've ever had with my phones (none with the EVO yet) have been software related from 3rd parties, so $35 isn't so bad to replace a phone and start over.

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Geez, what a rip-off. Sprint demands exclusive rights to the Evo, but then doesn't honor the warranty......

Its like that with any device, on any account that doesnt carry Sprints TEP. We arent the Manufacturer just the carrier. Why should Sprint incur the costs when its the manufacturers fault the device failed. Thats why Sprint offers TEP, they will gladly cover it then. Its like going to Target or Best Buy to buy a new 2000 dollar 3D TV, if it fails in 6 months you dont take it back to Target or BB unless you got the extended coverage through the store. People have such a weird outlook on cellphones. they are just like any other electronic peice of equipment you own....

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The difference, NxTech, is that my Evo is branded by Sprint. It's a device that's sold only by Sprint, marketed only by Sprint, and has Sprint's name on it. If I bought a TV at Best Buy that was Best Buy branded, you bet I'd expect BB to stand by it and honor the warranty.

If I could buy an Evo anywhere, and use it on any carrier, that would be more like buying a Panasonic TV from BB. Maybe even if I bought an Evo from ebay, rather than from Sprint. But the Evo is a Sprint phone, period, and Sprint should stand by it.

Cell companies want everything their way: lock you in with exclusive phones that can't be used anywhere else, long term contracts, and no service, no warranty once you walk out the door. There's a reason people hate cell phone companies.

skife

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Geez, what a rip-off. Sprint demands exclusive rights to the Evo, but then doesn't honor the warranty.

You're probably stuck, but I'd make it clear to Sprint that when your contract is up they can take your phone and shove it up their corporate.....

why should a phone carrier warrenty someone else's device?

shawnluke05

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I think everyone has brought up good points on this matter.

I guess I am just frustrated that I have not had the phone that long and I have to pay to get a refurbished one now to replace the one that doesn't work.

They may have changed their policy by now, but when I had Verizon if you didn't have insurance with them it didn't matter, if the phone quit working and was within the one year mark, they would swap it out free of charge. I was under the same impression when I switched to Sprint to get the Evo.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
why should a phone carrier warrenty someone else's device?

Because they are the exclusive retailer for it, and becasue they branded it with their name. Like I said above, if I bought a TV at Best Buy that was branded "Best Buy" I'd expect them to support it. Same with my Evo, that says Sprint right on the front.

Buying a cell phone, especially a CDMA cell phone, is different than buying a TV or a car. Regardless of who makes it, it's a Sprint (or Verizon) cell phone, because it's branded by the carrier and can only be used on that carrier. If Sprint wants to be only a service provider, they should let everyone sell phones that work on Sprint and activate any phone that works on Sprint.

My HD TV isn't branded Cox, and isn't locked to Cox, and wasn't sold by Cox, so I don't expect Cox to support it. My phone IS branded Sprint, is locked to Sprint, and was sold by Sprint. I expect them to support their own products.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech