3G speed issues

htabbach

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I upgraded from Palm Pre to the Evo two days ago and I already rooted the device using the Sprint Lovers ROM. I love my Evo but noticed that I used to get over 1MB using the Pre HotSpot but I cannot get over 0.5MB using the Evo. Is this normal?

thanks,
Sean

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
to be honest with you, it all depends on where you are. At work, my 3G BLOWS. I just tested it before writing this and I was at .63 down and .16 up. It's amazing how slow the 3G is here sometimes. I only have three bars, but still...that's pretty damn slow. At my home it's a different story, I'm between 1-2 down with 3G and between 3-5 with 4G. Full bars with both. Just hit or miss for me sometimes. Northern VA area

htabbach

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
to be honest with you, it all depends on where you are. At work, my 3G BLOWS. I just tested it before writing this and I was at .63 down and .16 up. It's amazing how slow the 3G is here sometimes. I only have three bars, but still...that's pretty damn slow. At my home it's a different story, I'm between 1-2 down with 3G and between 3-5 with 4G. Full bars with both. Just hit or miss for me sometimes. Northern VA area

Thanks for the reply. I used to get over 1MB at my house using the Pre and now I get less than half that with the Evo at my house too so I am testing at the same location. I noticed that I used to get full bars with the Pre but about 3 bars with the Evo at my house.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Remember that EVDO coverage is not displayed on the phone. The bars you see are for voice, not 3g. This can be seen when the phone has zero bars, but is able to send/receive data. 4g does display bars. However, usually being in a good signal area for voice generally also implies good signal for 3g.

It might be the Evo isn't getting as good of a connection in your house compared to the Pre? I really haven't noticed such a difference, with about 1.5 to 2mbit download with both phones. 4g with the evo is generally 4-6mbit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech