How to video chat with a PC?

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I want to video chat with my house when I am driving home. Qik doesn't have a desktop client, Yahoo's video chat is severely in beta, and I can't figure out for the life of me how to set up Fring on a PC.

Why is this so hard? Does anybody do this, and what is the best app/software to do it?

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've tried a lot of ways to make this happen.. the only way seem to work is using phone to phone via qik.

I'll post up here... if I find anyway of making this work.

Update; Yahoo chat work out for me... Oh! I see that imtravis has already post it up too. :)

Last edited:

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
You want to videochat while driving? While I'm sure that'd be illegal, I'd recommend using Yahoo chat. I've used it to videochat, just haven't tried while driving.

Sent from my rooted NookColor using Tapatalk Pro.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
You want to videochat while driving? While I'm sure that'd be illegal, I'd recommend using Yahoo chat. I've used it to videochat, just haven't tried while driving.

Sent from my rooted NookColor using Tapatalk Pro.

Lol - I know, I know. But I think that the law wouldn't really know what to do if my phone was mounted to my dash... It's not distracting to me at least... I'm not texting or touching my phone at all, right?

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Actually depending on the state,, it would be considered the same has having an operational DVD in the driver's area of a vehicle.....video is video but you can always chance it and find out

Ryanbradley

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, did you ever try Oovoo?
It's in beta stage but and it can let you video chat with
a desktop user (running the oovoo app of course)..

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Somebody just posted on here that Skype is going to be buying Qik - I guess that'll make things go in the right direction for us?

vnmous1

May 14, 2010
Visit site
It's official, Skype has acquired Qik. Reports from CES are that Skype has already been working on video calling for Android, so that's coming whether or not they acquire Qik.

Looks more like Skype was busy doing other things and something dropped on their head that told them they'd BETTER get an Android app running a lot quicker than they'd planned (based on the recent platform figures). The easiest way to to buy and adopt a working model that would require minimal tweaks to compliment Skype PC. Sort of a no-brainer, plus qik's market value was probably marginal on its own, so my guess is that it was probably a good buy.

ooVoo has a pleathora of issues and though it can work cross-platform, the video quality it horrible, at best. I've had it on 3 different Android phones and my Lenovo laptop. The pix would be better if I just drew them freehand and emailed them to you. Probably less choppy that way, too.

bj

ecgraham5268

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
ok i have tried yahoo messenger and it only worked for me when I was connected to a wifi connection. Also tried the skype app and again the same thing, will only work in a wifi location. Can anybody help me with this also.. Also Im looking to video chat with my wifes new iphone is there a way to do this

evang07

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I've used Tango to video chat with someone who has an IPhone. Also I haven't been able to video chat with yahoo. Neither to desktop or phone.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
ok i have tried yahoo messenger and it only worked for me when I was connected to a wifi connection. Also tried the skype app and again the same thing, will only work in a wifi location. Can anybody help me with this also.. Also Im looking to video chat with my wifes new iphone is there a way to do this

I installed the Yahoo video chat plugin and was able to vid chat with a friend on an iPhone 3G. We were both on WiFi at the time, but it worked great.

I guess I'm still waiting on Skype to be able to vid chat with my home while I'm on the road.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
If you're looking for a phone to phone solution, you can give Fring a try, it works for both Android and iPhone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KrystalMcclain