Evo 4G - Avoiding 4G MAC Address Error?

danyzfr6

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I apologize if this has been discussed already, but I couldn't find a similar post/thread.....

I rooted my phone and it somehow changed the 4G MAC Address which rendered the 4G unusable. I had to unroot and get a new one from Sprint (Sprint customer service is very good, by the way, they gave me no problems about swapping out my phone for a new one even though I think they knew I had rooted it--how else could you change the MAC Address, right?....but I digress.)

Because I'm dumb, I decided to root again and flash a custom rom. Everything is fine and my 4G is working, but my question is this: What exactly changes the 4G MAC Address? And how do I avoid doing that in the future? I've been flashing new roms with no problem, but is there something specific I should avoid so that I don't have this problem again?

Thanks.

OrangeGTP

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I apologize if this has been discussed already, but I couldn't find a similar post/thread.....

I rooted my phone and it somehow changed the 4G MAC Address which rendered the 4G unusable. I had to unroot and get a new one from Sprint (Sprint customer service is very good, by the way, they gave me no problems about swapping out my phone for a new one even though I think they knew I had rooted it--how else could you change the MAC Address, right?....but I digress.)

Because I'm dumb, I decided to root again and flash a custom rom. Everything is fine and my 4G is working, but my question is this: What exactly changes the 4G MAC Address? And how do I avoid doing that in the future? I've been flashing new roms with no problem, but is there something specific I should avoid so that I don't have this problem again?

Thanks.

i really dont have an answer to your question but as i was browsing xda earlier i found a 4g broken mac fix....that might have saved you from taking your 1st phone in lol...better late than never eh!

[GUIDE] Bad WiMax MAC? Broken 4G after update? Fix HERE! - xda-developers

hope that helps or answers any questions as i personally cant help but provide that link lol

also i do know after the latest clockwork fiasco it is actually supposed to backup your keys as i guess it hadnt before? i used amon ra recovery instead.

danyzfr6

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I saw that post and tried that method but kept getting an error......I think it had something to do with rooting my phone with unrevoked instead of the "proper" way.

But thanks for the input. :)