What do you think? EVO vs EVO shift

BKBitar

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
If you gave me the choice right now, I'd probably go with the shift, performance is better and the keyboard is a bonus. However I'm perfectly happy with my evo

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
How is the performance better?

Well the Shift has a better Snapdragon chip, even though it is clocked lower. It houses the faster Adreno 205 GPU. The Evo has the 200... So the Shift is the better phone. The Adreno 200 tested almost a 30fps bench on Nenamark, where the Adreno 205 tested higher then the Hummingbird at about 60fps on Nenamark.

CubsFanForLife

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I don't "need" a physical keyboard after having gotten used to the touch screen keyboard on my Evo, but the reality is (as a former Blackberry user) it's much easier to type longer emails on the go using a physical keyboard.

That being said, I don't see how they couldn't have put a 4 inch screen on this thing. Or a higher clocked processor. And the other big thing missing (if this is aimed towards business customers) is a GSM radio for international roaming. I mean the Droid 2 global with a 1.2 ghz processor, a 3.7 inch screen, and a GSM radio has been out for over a month and it's pretty much the same form factor as the shift. In comparison, this device looks like it's already 4 months outdated before it's even released.

Kic360

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm really excited at my choices for my upgrade so far. Hopefully will hear some details on a possible Evo 2. I am really starting to like Sprint's android line up,now all I need is 4g in Phoenix.

Julez6245

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm really excited at my choices for my upgrade so far. Hopefully will hear some details on a possible Evo 2. I am really starting to like Sprint's android line up.

Yeah they have a real nice choice of Android phones, except the Samsung Moment. But other than that sprint offers real nice phones that run Android OS. And the Shift, idk if I would get it, once u go 4.3 u can't go back.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk Pro

yaggermr

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The swift looks sweet but I'm not changing. I too was an owner of the pre with the dreaded Oreo effect. I however do believe htc has the ability to make a rock solid slider. The great thing about android is the choices. New hardware keeps popping up and that's great.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
So it looks like the differences are:
  • Newer version of Snapdragon processor (should be faster)
  • Larger ROM (from 1GB to 2GB)
  • Physical keyboard
  • Smaller, lighter phone
  • 5MP camera with one LED flash, instead of 8MP with dual LED
  • No front-facing camera
  • No micro HDMI out
  • No kickstand
That about covers it, right? The first two are pros, the next two might be pros or cons, depending on who you ask (personal preference), and the last four are cons.

For me, the pros don't outweigh the cons. If I could have either phone for free, I'd still pick the original Evo over the Shift.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
No. No interest in going to a smaller phone (once you go 4.3, you never go back).

Also, sliding qwerty is just another moving part that can break / adds bulk (besides, I like the on-screen keyboard = Swype).

I'll leave the EVO when they come out with an EVO Pro / EVO Deluxe / EVO with Cheese that has a dual core processor, more RAM, internal memory etc.

I agree with your whole statement! I'll wait till the next itteration of the EVO to make any decisions. Besides, I'm not due for an upgrade till July and I'm not buying any phone outright.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Well the Shift has a better Snapdragon chip, even though it is clocked lower. It houses the faster Adreno 205 GPU. The Evo has the 200... So the Shift is the better phone. The Adreno 200 tested almost a 30fps bench on Nenamark, where the Adreno 205 tested higher then the Hummingbird at about 60fps on Nenamark.

You do realize that your eyes can't render anything faster than 30 - 32 FPS right? So if the 200 churns out constant 30fps and the 205 pumps constant 60fps, you will see absolutely no difference whatsoever. Where you notice the difference is when it dips below 30fps because then you will see a stutter. But all the benchies (and real world testing) keep the fps of the 200 above 30 so all this is a moot point. Besides, DVD's played on ANY TV be it boob tube, LCD, and Plasma, all render at 24fps @ 60Hz but constant so you don't notice any stutter. Blu-Ray renders at upto 30fps @ 60Hz and constant. They do this to keep it on one disc. What's funny is that if they were to pump 40 fps @ 120Hz to these 120Hz+ HDTV's on Blue-Ray, they would need 3 double sided 50GB discs to fit it all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frames_per_second
http://www.hdtvetc.com/education/explaining-1080p-video-and-24-frame-per-second-fps-questions.php

Last edited:

smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This might be the phone I buy for the wife. She refuses to go full touch screen. She wants a keyboard. Might be able to get her to drop the black berry finally.

As far as no front camera.... At this point I am very disappointed on the quality and audio. It just isn't there yet to go mainstream. I don't know how good Apple's face time is.. So it really isn't a big deal for a ffc.

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
You do realize that your eyes can't render anything faster than 30 - 32 FPS right? So if the 200 churns out constant 30fps and the 205 pumps constant 60fps, you will see absolutely no difference whatsoever. Where you notice the difference is when it dips below 30fps because then you will see a stutter. But all the benchies (and real world testing) keep the fps of the 200 above 30 so all this is a moot point. Besides, DVD's played on ANY TV be it boob tube, LCD, and Plasma, all render at 24fps @ 60Hz but constant so you don't notice any stutter. Blu-Ray renders at upto 30fps @ 60Hz and constant. They do this to keep it on one disc. What's funny is that if they were to pump 40 fps @ 120Hz to these 120Hz+ HDTV's on Blue-Ray, they would need 3 double sided 50GB discs to fit it all.

Frame rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Explaining 1080p Video and 24-Frame-Per-Second (FPS) Questions - HDTVEtc.com

:rolleyes:

http://www.boallen.com/fps-compare.html

Can you tell a difference? Cause my eyes sure distinguish all three.

Mark_in_Tulsa

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
So it looks like the differences are:
  • Newer version of Snapdragon processor (should be faster)
  • Larger ROM (from 1GB to 2GB)
  • Physical keyboard
  • Smaller, lighter phone
  • 5MP camera with one LED flash, instead of 8MP with dual LED
  • No front-facing camera
  • No micro HDMI out
  • No kickstand
That about covers it, right? The first two are pros, the next two might be pros or cons, depending on who you ask (personal preference), and the last four are cons.

For me, the pros don't outweigh the cons. If I could have either phone for free, I'd still pick the original Evo over the Shift.

Shift comes with 2GB SD card, while the Evo comes with 8.
Also the Shift maybe lighter, but it's thicker, which makes it bulkier to fit on your hip or in your pocket.

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I have no interest in a physical keyboard anymore. I mean... you actually have to PRESS a button!? Whoa.

No really, since I have had the Hero and the EVO there's no way I want a physical keyboard again - maybe my fingers got lazy, but I don't want the extra effort to press a key. It drives me nuts when I use my wife's Pre now.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
:rolleyes:

15 FPS vs. 30 FPS vs. 60 FPS - A Visual Comparison

Can you tell a difference? Cause my eyes sure distinguish all three.

Of coarse the 15fps is going to look choppy, that's a given. But the other two, it's just one bouncing square so yeah, it looks a little more fluid (I've seen it before). Get 10 bouncing squares and you'll notice no difference. It's more than just fps. It's also refresh rate, and how it's being delivered and by what means. So yeah (rolls eyes), whatever! ;)

You also must be running an 4 year old nvidia GPU in your PC because the difference is so subtle to me that it makes no difference. But I guess phone gaming is a totally different beast. One that I really could careless about.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2