Bricked my EVO

boomhower1820

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Flashed a new ROM, kernal, and radio but something went south. It won't even power on now. Tried just power, volume down and power, just battery, just power cord, and nothing. It won't turn on at all. When I plug it in the computer the computer beeps like it recognizes something is plugged in but the RUU doesn't see it. Looks like I am driving an hour to the repair center.

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Well if it won't even power on, they won't know you are rooted. Just don't tell them you were trying to flash a ROM. You don't know what happened...lol

There might still be something you can do via ADB, but I'm not sure exactly what. Maybe one of the real experts here can help with that.

Jason Black

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Thats not nice. If everyone who ran into problems did that then these companies will be out of business in no time. But i guess you have to do what you have to do...

Sent From Tapatalk.

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Thats not nice. If everyone who ran into problems did that then these companies will be out of business in no time. But i guess you have to do what you have to do...

Sent From Tapatalk.

Not really. I think people on these forums tend to forget that not everyone with an Android phone is rooting and hacking it. It's actually a pretty small percentage of people that root their phones. I would bet that there are more people return their phones for regular warranty issues than there are that root their phones.

Just an example...I know probably about 20 people that have Android phones. I am the only one that has rooted. At least 3 of these people I know have had to return their phones for a warranty replacement.

eaguil16

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Well apparently there carriers don't mind collecting the money out of your pocket that your paying monthly for, so you might as well use it.....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
or,
consider: you LOST your phone

$100 deductible might be better than NOT getting your phone repaired/replaced by the Sprint Store.

going through Asurion might be your best bet

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
He is trying to see if you upgraded you bootloader aka hboot where you go to get into recovery by pressing the volume down and power button at the same time it will give you the three skateboarding android guys and your phones info on your radio and s-off thing but thefredelement I think he said he tried to flash a Rom then flashed his radio and prl which is a dangerous thing to do if you mess up and have the wrong software right ? But hey I've brought my first evo back before the 30 days because of me trying to run a old ruu but hey I am not paying 380-400 for a new phone when I only had the phone for 2days but I had layed like that amount to get it and payed my bill right there so I was not getting stuck with a brick lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

DandyAndy

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Let me know how it goes. I have a good number of connections at Asurion in Nashville. If you hit some snags message me and I'll do what I can to help you out. BTW what ROM where you trying to flash?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Screwing with stuff makes it even better! :cool:

EXACTLY!!! and Rooting isn't always the reason behind a problem or a crash. I was rooted and the phone all of a sudden started freezing up on me almost daily. Only a battery pull and reboot would clear it up and just for a short period of time. I did a hard reset, EVERYTHING... Even flashed a stock ROM.. Nothing helped. Unrooted the phone and took it back to stock and it still kept freezing up.. So since I was unrooted I took it to Sprint and they had the phone for 3 hours. Finally the tech called and said he ordered a warranty replacement because there was something wrong with the hardware/circuit board that was causing it to short out the touch screen from time to time. It was nothing software related at all.

I didn't even have insurance and a warranty replacement from HTC was only $35 instead of $7 a month and a $100 deductible from Asurion... Don't be mistaken people.... Asurion makes a TON OF MONEY!!!! They are not out there to help you... They are out there to make money... Like others have posted before I bet they EASILY have 10 customers who pay and never use the insurance for every 1 that does..... and that is probably a very conservative number.... Heck even HTC... They sell a phone for $599 that cost them less than $200 to make... and I bet they get my old phone replace the circuit board or what ever was causing it to short out for less than the $35 I paid to get a refurbished phone.....

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
EXACTLY!!! and Rooting isn't always the reason behind a problem or a crash. I was rooted and the phone all of a sudden started freezing up on me almost daily. Only a battery pull and reboot would clear it up and just for a short period of time. I did a hard reset, EVERYTHING... Even flashed a stock ROM.. Nothing helped. Unrooted the phone and took it back to stock and it still kept freezing up.. So since I was unrooted I took it to Sprint and they had the phone for 3 hours. Finally the tech called and said he ordered a warranty replacement because there was something wrong with the hardware/circuit board that was causing it to short out the touch screen from time to time. It was nothing software related at all.

I didn't even have insurance and a warranty replacement from HTC was only $35 instead of $7 a month and a $100 deductible from Asurion... Don't be mistaken people.... Asurion makes a TON OF MONEY!!!! They are not out there to help you... They are out there to make money... Like others have posted before I bet they EASILY have 10 customers who pay and never use the insurance for every 1 that does..... and that is probably a very conservative number.... Heck even HTC... They sell a phone for $599 that cost them less than $200 to make... and I bet they get my old phone replace the circuit board or what ever was causing it to short out for less than the $35 I paid to get a refurbished phone.....

To look at data and to say from a parts bin perspective, that the phone costs under $200 (which they do) is highly misleading. HTC has immense costs for R&D... Do you expect them to sell you a phone with zero profit margin, and with no way to recoup sunk costs in overhead and research?

Insurance companies are out to make money, sure. But making hardware (and doing it well no less) is a tough business.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
To look at data and to say from a parts bin perspective, that the phone costs under $200 (which they do) is highly misleading. HTC has immense costs for R&D... Do you expect them to sell you a phone with zero profit margin, and with no way to recoup sunk costs in overhead and research?

Insurance companies are out to make money, sure. But making hardware (and doing it well no less) is a tough business.

Oh trust me I know about the R&D.... That is the main cost in computers, cars, airplanes just about anything... The cost between R&D and Advertisement is immense compared to the cost of the parts from the Bin... That being said they still make a good profit margin off each phone sold.... You can just look at their Quarterly and Yearly financial statements and figure they make an immense amount of profit... upwards of 30% profit margins..... So even if the phone cost $170 in parts based on their numbers their total investment between R&D, advertisement shipping cost, warehouse cost..... They still only have maybe $350 - 400 invested in a phone they sell for $599....