4G Bug.

riyatch

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Im not sure why this isnt a bigger issue with everyone. I have 4G in my city but dont use it much because after i turn it on, the phone continues to search for a signal even after i turn it off until i reboot my phone. This drains my battery like crazy. I d/l'd alogcat and saw that the 4G radio keeps scanning non stop after it is turned off.
It seems like it should be a simple fix to have the 4G radio stop scanning once 4G is turned off. If this could be fixed then i would most certainly use 4G. As it stands now, i hate knowing that my battery is going to be sucked dry even after i turn off 4G.
Do other people not experience this? Is this problem isolated to just a few phones and thats the reason its not brought up more?
If anyone knows a fix for this then please share.
Thanks
PS: posted this on another forum also. would really like to figure this out.

cgiaimo

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Resolved

This issue seems to have been resolved for most people's phones with the last update, check your settings/About phone/software information and check to make sure you have software build # 3.70.651.1 This adds a widget to turn off the 4g scanning until you tap to scan.

The 4g radio on, but not scanning constantly, doesn't seem to use much battery, IMO.

riyatch

May 17, 2010
Visit site
have the latest software 3.70.651, not rooted, hw 0004. i get the widget at the top if i turn on 4g. my problem is when i turn it off completely, it continues to scan unsuccessfully until i reboot. using alogcat i get this wimax error repeatedly once 4g is shut off completely, not using the widget.

riyatch

May 17, 2010
Visit site
i believe the issue started with the 3.70 software

yes, mine seems to have started with the update. although from researching it doesnt seem like everyone has this problem. would really like to find a fix for it so that i could start using 4g again.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
have the latest software 3.70.651, not rooted, hw 0004. i get the widget at the top if i turn on 4g. my problem is when i turn it off completely, it continues to scan unsuccessfully until i reboot. using alogcat i get this wimax error repeatedly once 4g is shut off completely, not using the widget.

The alogcat error will continue until reboot even if the phone is not actively scanning for a wimax signal. That is where the difference in battery life lies.

Pre 3.70 - phone scans non stop until reboot. Battery dead faster than "Unnamed ensign" On a Star Trek away mission.

Post 3.70 - Phone will scan once after 4g connestion is lost (Will not scan if manually turned off) and then wait for you to manually force a new scan. But you will still see the "connection refused" error in alogcat.

The post 3.70 scenario uses very little additional battery compared to the pre 3.70 one.

riyatch

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info.....

The only problem i have with this is that it seems like not everyone gets this connection refused error. ive asked others and some have said that they dont see this error using alogcat after shutting off 4g?????????????????

Also, i can confirm, at least on my phone, that the battery definitely takes a hit because of this. At one point i had switch pro on my phone which would turn 4g on and off at the start of every boot up. This caused the connection refused error to run right from the beginning of a newly charged battery. When that was occurring, i would get about half the normal battery life i would normally get. Once i figured this out and stopped 4g from being started up and thus stopped the connection refused errors, my battery life doubled.

Can others confirm that they do/don't have this error message using alogcat??????

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
The alogcat error will continue until reboot even if the phone is not actively scanning for a wimax signal. That is where the difference in battery life lies.

Pre 3.70 - phone scans non stop until reboot. Battery dead faster than "Unnamed ensign" On a Star Trek away mission.

Post 3.70 - Phone will scan once after 4g connestion is lost (Will not scan if manually turned off) and then wait for you to manually force a new scan. But you will still see the "connection refused" error in alogcat.

The post 3.70 scenario uses very little additional battery compared to the pre 3.70 one.

Pre 3.70 had no issues with battery and 4G on my device running Fresh 3.5, after the 3.70 software is when i started noticing a battery drain that i attribute to the new 4G scan thing. I dont even use 4G as much because of it. But if i do, i just reboot the device when im done

NasTraDooMis

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Pre 3.70 had no issues with battery and 4G on my device running Fresh 3.5, after the 3.70 software is when i started noticing a battery drain that i attribute to the new 4G scan thing. I dont even use 4G as much because of it. But if i do, i just reboot the device when im done

Its a bug issue with htc/sprint. Even after you turn off 4g it still continuously scans for a signal. The only way to fix it to keep it from draining yer battery it to reboot yer phone every time after you use and turn off 4g. :p

riyatch

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Its a bug issue with htc/sprint. Even after you turn off 4g it still continuously scans for a signal. The only way to fix it to keep it from draining yer battery it to reboot yer phone every time after you use and turn off 4g. :p

yeah, this seems to be happening on all non-rooted phones. I tried this on a couple other phones and the same error message popped up in alogcat. now if this could be fixed then using 4g would be so much better so that the battery does not drain so fast after its shut off. wondering why others are not bothered by this???

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20