How do I root an HTC EVO 4G (Sprint)?

A

AC Question

How to Root HTC EVO 4G (Sprint)

Hi, all. I recently broke my LG G2 and am using my old HTC EVO 4G (not the LTE version) on Sprint network. I was hoping to root the phone to make it better.

Now, I'm not too familiar with root (root noob), and this will be my first time doing it. I was wondering if rooting would allow me to update to a newer version of android (I'm running on 2.3.5 now and would like to get Jellybean, KitKat, or Lollipop) and would I be able to install apps, like snapchat, that aren't compatible with me device?

If yes, what would be the best way to root the phone? I've looked up many techniques and I want the safest, easiest way if possible. Also, after I root, how would I go about installing a newer version of android, if that's possible.

Sorry about all the questions. But I'm looking forward to all the responses, and to getting my phone into the new-age of android! Thanks in advance!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to Root HTC EVO 4G (Sprint)

1. The phone was designed for 2.1. It's upgradeable to 2.3 (Gingerbread). That's about it. JellyBean wouldn't work.

2. Rooting isn't used to update, since you're rooting the existing ROM, then immediately replacing it - overwriting what you did to root (installing a single file).

3. Tooting won't allow you to run apps that aren't compatible with your phone - ALL rooting does is give root permissions to apps that need them. Since the installer doesn't, it still won't install an incompatible app. (It won't even know tht the phone is rooted, since it doesn't ask for root permission.)

4. The only way to root Gingerbread that I know of is to find a one-click root for that phone.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae