?? Swype or SlideIT - What's your preference?

??dbdoinit

Banned
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I've held back on the latest EVO update due to the known audio streaming issues. I know there's a fix for it but I'm kinda lazy with things like that.

All of which brings me to this question:
Swype or SlideIT and why.

Obviously, i don't have Swype yet because i haven't done the update. I know SlideIT is very similar to it and i use it as my default.

Basically, what I want to know is, is Swype so much better than SlideIT that it's worth the trouble downloading the EVO update and then tinkering with the audio stream fix?

Spartacus2698

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I've recently had the same question, I used SlideIT for about a week then switched to Swype and I have to say that I really prefer to use Swype as it is more accurate and faster for my daily use, and the little tips and tweaks you can do with Swype like swyping across the swype and sym brings up an additional editing screen, and double taping a word to quickly switch it out with another make swype a better option in my opinion... And I also like how the swype keyboard takes up less space on my screen.

Hope this helps

Reactions: ??dbdoinit

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
First,
Although Swype was added to the recent software package released to Evo's (3.70), Swype itself is downloadable without this software package. there are hacked versions out there--but the Swype Beta opened up again in the past month. go here and follow the directions. i did NOT download the recent 3.70 update because i don't want any of the additional bloatware, but DID join the Beta program. get in it while you can!

Second,
i have not used SlideIT. i have only used SwiftKey, Swype, and stock keyboard. of all three, i still prefer Swype. it's easiest, fastest, and i can respond to texts blazingly fast compared to friends with stock keyboards. i'm uncertain the full "power"/ability of SlideIt, but i am happy enough with Swype that i never see a reason to try any other text-input variation (outside of a Voice input option).

Go with Swype. it's ridiculous how fast you can type a message.

Reactions: ??dbdoinit

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
SWYPE is usually good enough that I haven't tried slide it. Periodically I'll go through a period where I have to struggle with SWYPE, and I switch to SwiftKey for a week or so till I calm down. SWYPE is generally so fast it is amazing. Occasionally it refuses to recognize a word and I have to fight with it.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
After using slide it, when i tried swipe it was horrible,,, slide it is hands down better.

Evo-lution

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Swift Key X is a pretty boss keyboard, but my vote will always be for the Gingerbread keyboard. Now I have heard wonderful things about the ICS one, can't wait to try it out.

Sent from the greatest HTC EVO 4G ever made!!!

Last edited:

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Swype. When the EVO was first released I almost didn't buy it because Swype wasn't available. I used SlideIT for a few months, but in my opinion, it wasn't Swype. It's a very good second choice.

Default settings on Swype needed to be changed for my use. I have the Speed vs. accuracy moved. Give me speed!