Would you upgrade your screen if you could

ChrisGonzales90

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
OK folks, this is just for fun.

Lets say HTC or sprint had a program that allows you to send your phone in and you can get your screen replaced with a higher resolution one . Would you do that? how much would you be willing to spend? Are you happy with the current resolution? What if you could have part of your bill deducted to cover the cost of the screen replacement?

Me? I'd gladly pay $100-$150 for a higher resolution screen. Then again, the screen is great. Not as good as lets say the iPhone or samsung, but it does the job. Still wish it were higher resolution.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
When you say higher resolution, do you mean more icons on the screen (like a computer resolution) or do you mean pixel density (like the iPhone 4)?

I'm actually pretty happy with my screen and I have even received compliments on the screen from iPhone 4 owning friends.

DaneHR2

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I would absolutely upgrade to SAMOLED+ or others of the like. They don't have a back light (battery saver), sharper images and being able to see the screen better in the sun light. I would pay what it would take to get one.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I've got no complaints about my screen. I've compared it directly with Apple's retina display and prefer the larger screen and larger icons to the higher pixel density of the iPhone display.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
When you say higher resolution, do you mean more icons on the screen (like a computer resolution) or do you mean pixel density (like the iPhone 4)?

I'm actually pretty happy with my screen and I have even received compliments on the screen from iPhone 4 owning friends.

What does the # of icons have to do with resolution?

Higher resolution means, higher than 800x480. Pixel density is a factor of resolution divided by physical dimensions.

Your question is like... "When you say you want more oranges, do you mean steak or asparagus?"

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I would absolutely upgrade to SAMOLED+ or others of the like. They don't have a back light (battery saver), sharper images and being able to see the screen better in the sun light. I would pay what it would take to get one.

Doesn't have a backlight? The virtue of the name itself implies a backlight.

SAMO.... LED as in Light Emitting Diodes. LEDs comprise the backlight for that display, and in Samsung's case, it's a special set of LEDs that have superior color, images, and improved ability to see it in sunlight. The battery savings are from higher efficiency, not from the fact it doesn't have a backlight.

If you take phones with that display into a pitch black room, you can see the display. Hence, it has a backlight.

ChrisGonzales90

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

better color, higher DPI.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
What does the # of icons have to do with resolution?

Higher resolution means, higher than 800x480. Pixel density is a factor of resolution divided by physical dimensions.

Your question is like... "When you say you want more oranges, do you mean steak or asparagus?"

I understand what resolution means, but given the vague description of the OP I decided to not get overly technical when I asked their meaning, so I was trying to use the # of icons as a way to communicate that as in:

"When you say you want better resolution do you want it to be used for more on your screen (keep icon size fixed by pixels/inch) or do you want sharper images (use the higher density to better render the image using higher pixel/inch icons)."

That was why I referenced icons. . .

But, thanks for trying to make me sound like and idiot.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't have a backlight? The virtue of the name itself implies a backlight.

SAMO.... LED as in Light Emitting Diodes. LEDs comprise the backlight for that display, and in Samsung's case, it's a special set of LEDs that have superior color, images, and improved ability to see it in sunlight. The battery savings are from higher efficiency, not from the fact it doesn't have a backlight.

If you take phones with that display into a pitch black room, you can see the display. Hence, it has a backlight.

Once again, you get caught up in technicalities, sure all of the screens have backlights, but I'm sure DaneHR2 was referring to the lack of a florescent backlight that illuminates the entire screen regardless of what is being displayed. Since the LED backlight is in a grid it can be controlled to be off for black parts of images and on for other colors thereby being more efficient.

NDchem2014

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
11 posts, 6 that answered the question asked. That's a score of 55%. Just above failing! Good job all. :) Let's get that average a little higher.

I'm fine with the screen. I've also gotten comments from friends that own iPhones that they like the look of my screen. At a certain point, more dpi is like saying you can see even more pebbles on the ground from space. I'm not going to be holding my phone 3 inches from my face, so why do I need a dpi that is only a noticeable difference if I do? However, if they told me that I could get a screen of the same dpi but made the battery last 50% longer? Sure, I would want that.

New average: 58%
Almost a D+! Woot.

NOMster

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm happy with it. But if I could get an upgrade on it...I'd just wait and pay that much for my next phone in a few months.

Go Android!

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
11 posts, 6 that answered the question asked. That's a score of 55%. Just above failing! Good job all. :) Let's get that average a little higher.

I'm fine with the screen. I've also gotten comments from friends that own iPhones that they like the look of my screen. At a certain point, more dpi is like saying you can see even more pebbles on the ground from space. I'm not going to be holding my phone 3 inches from my face, so why do I need a dpi that is only a noticeable difference if I do? However, if they told me that I could get a screen of the same dpi but made the battery last 50% longer? Sure, I would want that.

New average: 58%
Almost a D+! Woot.

Well actually in GA and a 55% is still failing...you need 70%. :p

...Anyways I would love a Super Amoled+. The high res. screens are the only things i envy about Galaxy S and Iphone 4. I'd pay $50-$75. With that, I could keep my Evo for several years be perfectly content :).

New Average: 56%

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
My perfect phone would be a SAMLOED+ display in the Evo's body.

I know HTC is liking the SLCDs lately, but they really need to find a technology that is more advanced. SLCDs are fine, but they just can't hold a candle to AMOLED or IPS displays. Especially for their larger format phones, where screen quality becomes incredibly important (the crispness of the SAMOLED phones is impressive considering its the same res as the Evo) they need something that can at least come close in terms of quality.

rem_kujawa

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I doubt it, I'm more interested in a dual CPU and a better GPU. Now if that came with a superamoled screen, then I would not complain.

Sener

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I would upgrade my screen asap!!! I love my Evo screen, but the iP4 screen looks much crispier, more HD like then the Evo. That is the only thing i wish the Evo had. And more Internal memory. ^_^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835