Cant connect to 4G in nyc.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Same over here in Astoria.

I get scanning, connecting to Sprint and then back to scanning. Was using it fine last night.

Maybe it's upgrades! LOL - WiMax+ (this is a j/k!).

Roustermiller

May 13, 2010
Visit site
But the weirdest thing my brother live down the block and he said his 4g is working I really don't think is cause he's playing Xbox 360

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I was able to connect to 4G earlier today, was getting 4.6mbits ish in College Point, Queens.

I'm not hater or anything, but wimax connectivity is really sketchy IMO...

MBeattie

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm in Brooklyn also and It's been spotty for a few days now. Your friend down the block could have coverage though because I have seen my EVO stuck on 3G while my fiancees EVO had full 4G in the same room.

acran

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Who cares about Brooklyn or Queen? Sheesh.

;)

Anyway, here in New York City (aka "Manhattan") there's no 4G service, as confirmed by Sprint tech support (one of my co-workers went across the street to the Sprint store to complain). Not sure why the network is down, but down it is.

Regards,
Adam

PS - And yes, WiMax connectivity is sketchy -- in all five boroughs. I wonder how LTE is on Verizon...

WhitePhone

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Who cares about Brooklyn or Queen? Sheesh.

;)

Anyway, here in New York City (aka "Manhattan") there's no 4G service, as confirmed by Sprint tech support (one of my co-workers went across the street to the Sprint store to complain). Not sure why the network is down, but down it is.

Regards,
Adam

PS - And yes, WiMax connectivity is sketchy -- in all five boroughs. I wonder how LTE is on Verizon...

LTE coverage is excellent. WiMAX runs on 2500MHz, a high frequency, which is terrible for penetrating buildings and the range is low. LTE is going to run on 700Mhz, the lowest frequency used yet for a cellular service, which means building penetration and long range coverage is excellent, better than any cellular service ever deployed. So theoretically, with LTE it is possible to loose CDMA even before LTE in a thick building. So, WiMAX's high frequency offers some of the worst reception and LTE's low frequency offers the best reception possible yet. That's why the 700MHz auction was such a big deal and valuable. Why does Sprint use such a high and useless frequency? CAPACITY for more user volumes. If you look at the 4G coverage maps from the two carriers, my city is Pittsburgh for example, and look at Sprint's it looks very gappy and i'll quote someone here, "it looks like a spider got murdered on its web before it was done". On Verizon's you see very little gaps and more area covered. I have a camp that is an 1 hour and 40 mins from the city and there is LTE coverage there. Check out the two carriers 4G coverage overlaid on this city: http://www.droiddog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/sprintverizon4g.png

Last edited:

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
As a ex New Yorker and Brooklynite now residing in warm sunny Hawaii... you guys are lucky to get 4g. I only found it in one spot here and a very low signal at that. During my Xmas vacation in that snow storm in Bklyn NY that was the first time in Almost 8 months with my Evo that I experienced 4g and it was awesome. Now that i'm back in Hawaii, nothing and we were one of the first states to get 4g.

putch

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Same boat. Haven't been able to connect to wimax all day--in both Astoria and Lower Manhattan. Called sprint and they said there were no service issues in my area. But, then went into the store and they claimed there's some NYC disruption. I was skeptical because my friend's Epic was connecting to wimax just fine in midtown. I was almost ready to do a hard reset. But at least there's some confirmation of an outage now.

Maybe it's something that just impacts Evos? or older Evos? I've got the 0002 hardware.

TheMitch21

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I heard this from someone earlier, that Clearwire.com is what Sprint uses for 4G (WiMax, as confirmed by the Sprint logo at the bottom of the website), so check your coverage there.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
As a ex New Yorker and Brooklynite now residing in warm sunny Hawaii... you guys are lucky to get 4g. I only found it in one spot here and a very low signal at that. During my Xmas vacation in that snow storm in Bklyn NY that was the first time in Almost 8 months with my Evo that I experienced 4g and it was awesome. Now that i'm back in Hawaii, nothing and we were one of the first states to get 4g.

I would trade 4G for Hawaii.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site

I went there over Xmas vacation. I got a good signal in Honolulu, good enough to sustain a torrent download. I then went to Maui, and was able to get a decent one there. Surprisingly, the big island didn't have any and it's also where I spent most of my time. Damn.